Restoring a NW7 with beard and scalp hair

I am a NW7 and I suppose I must have around 12,000 - 18,000 grafts remaining. I want to restore my hair to NW2 or NW2.5. Now since from head hair I may only get 5000 grafts are so, I was thinking of throwing in some beard hair as well. So lets say I have 2500 grafts from beard, In total I would have 7500 grafts. We can always leave the crown empty as that is not important. That would be enough grafts to have a density of 40 grafts/cm2 near hairline and little less behind it.

Do you think its a good idea. My second concern was that if indeed I use beard hair, will I be able to dye it with normal hair dye, because I have read that beard hair is more difficult to dye.

Lastly, as my hair has started to gray now, can you tell me if gray hair is thicker or thinner than colored hair?

I am a NW7 and I suppose I must have around 12,000 - 18,000 grafts remaining. I want to restore my hair to NW2 or NW2.5. Now since from head hair I may only get 5000 grafts are so, I was thinking of throwing in some beard hair as well. So lets say I have 2500 grafts from beard, In total I would have 7500 grafts. We can always leave the crown empty as that is not important. That would be enough grafts to have a density of 40 grafts/cm2 near hairline and little less behind it.

Do you think its a good idea. My second concern was that if indeed I use beard hair, will I be able to dye it with normal hair dye, because I have read that beard hair is more difficult to dye.

Lastly, as my hair has started to gray now, can you tell me if gray hair is thicker or thinner than colored hair?

I'm no expert but 2500 beard hair seems a bit optimistic.

With a stretchy scalp you could get a decent result with 5000 grafts even for a NW7. Depends on hair type, skin tone etc.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I'm no expert but 2500 beard hair seems a bit optimistic.

With a stretchy scalp you could get a decent result with 5000 grafts even for a NW7. Depends on hair type, skin tone etc.

I don't think 2500 beard hair is that optimistic, considering the fact that a man with a dense beard like me can have as much as 40,000 hair in it!

Mate he is only giving you an opinion and advice, which is what you asked for!

Have you spoken to any Docs? Reps?

Do you know what your donor is like? nothing wrong with being optimistic but it is still surgery at the end of the day, and using beard hair is not always successful especially with the wrong doc!

40,000 beard hairs is probably hyperbole lol. even someone with a very dense beard probably only has 20,000 max but i could be very wrong. i think you could get respectable results as you arent aiming for a nw0 or 1 hairline. only a few select doctors are good at bodyhair fue though.

I don't think 2500 beard hair is that optimistic, considering the fact that a man with a dense beard like me can have as much as 40,000 hair in it!

All I can say is contact Drs Bisanga and Umar.

Good luck!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Send Umar do an online consultation with Dr. Umar.

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

HairMetal, what you are suggesting is reasonable in terms, that you would be happy with a moderate density to the front and lower density into the mid section and leaving the crown empty. With Norwood 7's though it really depends as to how much you sides have dropped and what your donor like. 5000 head grafts may sound possible but many guys with low donor density it is not achievable. I would take some very clear photos of your situation including pics of your donor and do some online consultations or preferably some in house ones.

Research will be the key to seeing what is possible as you may find you just don't have enough grafts to cover your loss and a transplant is just not going to be for you.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson