Minox after Hair transplant... really required????

Hi,

I wanted to know the effect of using minox on transplanted hair. Is it really required as most of the doctors recommend to use minox.

Wanted to know if there is anyone who had a HT and chose not to use minox. What wer the results that you saw.

If you use minox after HT, do you apply it only in the region where you have some hairloss which has non transplanted hair( say region A) or use it only on transplanted region( region B) or use it in both the regions( A and B, basically the whole top area..:) ).

I am however very much convinced not to use finax due to the possible sides. Not worth taking the risk..

Thanks

It is beneficial to use after a transplant. Minoxidil is a vasodilator so it will increase blood flow to the recipient area which will increase healing and help with graft survival. Most surgeons suggest its use starting 2 weeks after a transplant and I don't see any reason not to use it. It's cheap compared to the cost of the transplant and might help speed up hair growth so why not use it.

It is not required to use minoxidil on the transplanted hair. They will grow normally with or without it. The minoxidil is more importantly used for the native hair that is susceptible to shedding. If you do apply it you need to apply it from your hairline all the way to the back of the crown.

Finasteride does have side effects but they are not very common. You can always stop taking the medication if you notice them occurring.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Minoxdil is there to provide vasodilation to the surrounding native hair,,, it has great results and if you are prone to any kind of loss it should be part of your daily routine just like brushing your teeth. We know it works so why put the doubt into the equation? Use the foam it is less irritating and better for a transplanted area initaily

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

Thanks for the reply... From your replies what i gather is that minoxidil has a great effect on jump starting the transplant hair and preserve the native hairs.

One question, If i stop minoxidil after some duration of use, my native will def shed ( maybe at a higher rate..:)) ... what will be the effect of stoping minox on transplanted hair.. will it also become minox depended..? What if I lose transplanted hair..?

Has anyone used minox on transplanted hair and stop at a later stage? what was the effect you noticed.

Thanks.

Hi,

It won't jump start the transplanted hair, by definition the hairs tat have been transplanted into the new area are genetically protected from loss. What I was meaning was that often a lot of peopel have native hair around the area which has been transplanted unless your completely bald. So here you would still want to protect those hairs.

the transplanted hair has no dependency to the minox

you should not lose the transplanted hair as they are gentitically protected form loss.

just use the minox as a safeguard on the rest of the hair that you have and forget about it

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

2 Great HT's & Experiences

To date, I have been through four seperate HT procedures totally roughly 6900 grafts.

I did not use minoxidil on the recipient area until the fourth and last procedure. I did not notice much difference in jump starting the grafts as compared to the previous three transplants. What I did notice was that the hair shafts seemed higher in caliber. I then stopped using it in the recipient area after approximnately nine months post-op. There appeared to be some mild shedding for the next 3-4 months that followed.

Minoxidil does not inhibit DHT but finasteride does. Overall, and after viewing other countless photos, I have the opinion that minoxidil can improve hair shaft diameter and as a result can improve the appearance of coverage. Clinical trials continue to show the highest efficiency in the crown and midscalp. This is why minoxidil can be potentially advantageous to those individuals who are beginning to thin in their crowns and avoid surgery in that region.

I have also observed some who have experienced new growth of native hair wherever minoxidil is applied as directed. So it appears that minoxidil can bring some dormant phase follicles back into the growth phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY