HT Surgeon doing 2 scars?

So I recently had my 2nd surgery. One day Post Op.

The surgery went great. I went to Doctor Rosanelli. He was very professional, answered all my questions, and the staff was fantastic. I've extremely resistant to drugs and absorb them quickly, so they had to double numb me just to begin.

However, he had indicated that based on my first procedure with another Doctor back in 2008, that a second scar would be the best approach rather than cutting out the first one. He felt the original was too high and wouldn't yeild enough grafts due to the placement of the scar in regards to the new procedure...Now, my question is..

Is adding a second scar given that situation ideal or is it always best to just do one scar?

He mentioned we can remove his scar during a 3rd procedure a year from now, which i plan on doing. He estimated I can get another 1600-2000 grafts then. After that I was planning on FUE'ing the scars to reduce the appearance now that I will have 2.

What is everyone's thoughts on this matter? I could use a bit of feedback as I'm a bit worried having 2 scars now

No, you don't understand. I have 2 scars now. One from each surgery. If I have a 3rd surgery, it will only remove the latest scar. So now, I will always have 2 scars.

I can see the doctors reasoning behind moving the incision line down to make sure its 100% safe zone, but wish that information came to light in our consultation, not just before we was going to make the cut.

So now, I'll have 2 scars. I'm unsure IF the 2nd one will be removed and turned into one scar in the end, but it sounds like i will always have 2.

The 2 scars converge at the ending points but in the back of my head there is about an inch or so difference.

Hi hairtodaygonetmrw2

Good question.

We see patients who have had previous Strip surgeries and wish for more. If the scar is too high then there is a risk also that the hair there is non permanent if taken from the non save zone, and in such cases the surgeon cannot take from there even though the original scar may be there. Yours doesn't sound as if this is the case for you but the surgeon had other concerns.

The other scenario is whereby the scars are too low, this also can be in danger of being exposed if the patient were to suffer from retrograde alopecia and thus expose the scar, or, simply too low for the doctor to excise and there is a risk of stretching due to the position.

Doctors will generally try to avoid giving an additional scar but sometimes their hands are tied, or they may be able to do a partial excision if parts of the scar are in a safe area.

Without seeing photos then hard to really speak for your case other than to give some reasons as to why doctors do need to cut again and elsewhere.

Edited by sl

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

For what my opinion is worth, the scar is a necessary byproduct of a FUT procedure that can't be avoided. If I were in your situation I would rather have two scars than risk having even one hair come out of the non-safe zone. As long as you are going through a procedure, you may as well make sure that every hair getting cut out has the best possible chance of permanently surviving once grafted. As far as Dr. R. goes, my scar is already barely noticeable at 4 months out, so you should feel comfortable in knowing that your second scar will not be an issue.