Shaving Options and Docs known for crown work

Hello,

Apologies as I'm sure I could find good info on previous threads that might answer my questions, but I'm a little short on time and wanted to make sure to get clear opinions. 2 questions:

1) SHAVING NATIVE HAIR (in recipient site): I've been quoted 2000 grafts (maybe 500 in the forelock region and 1500 in the crown) by a great doc, but he requires shaving almost all the way down to the scalp, and told me I would look like a monk returning to work (unless of course I shaved my whole head). I have pretty good coverage from native hair, so I might have to suck it up and shave down, but I'm wondering if there are any reputable docs out there that can work around a good amount of native hair without significantly affecting results. I have an in-person consultation soon with a recommended doc on this site who apparently doesn't always need to shave, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from the community as well. Any opinions/advice out there on the need to always shave for those with some fairly good native coverage, and what options I might have?

2) CROWN WORK: Since I've joined the community I've been mainly focused on hairlines, and have my opinions about which clinics are consistently putting out the best results. Unfortunately I can't say the same for crown work. I know there's a great list of docs on this site that all do great work, but does anyone recommend a certain doc or docs that seem to really stand out when it comes to crown work?

Thanks so much...

I'd recommend shaving down. But shaving the recipient area only or shaving your whole head is a tough decision and I have done both.

Recipient area only means it is easier to hide the scar(s).

The whole head means it looks a lot better and is easier to keep clean.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I don't quite understand how shaving prevents shock loss -- it seems like it just masks any shock loss because there is no hair there to see disappear. If you get a buzz cut or shave the recipient area it seems like the root of the follicle would be affected the same way...

As far as I can tell, it seems like doctors prefer to shave because it allows them to complete the procedure faster and see better, but some are willing to take the extra time to work through native hair and don't seem to think it should negatively impact results.

There are two types of shock loss which are permanent and temporary.

The former happens when the hair is weak and was going to fall out anyway but is shocked out permanently from the trauma of surgery. It can also be caused if the Surgeon transects the native hair when planting in between. The risk is reduced when shaved down because it is easier to see.

Temporary shock loss is unavoidable but will return after 4 to 5 months like the main man spex says.

Shaving down also allows the Surgeon to see the exact angle which the hair exits the scalp and can be copied with the transplanted hair.

Edited by El Nino
typo

Dr Arocha in Texas seems to do a lot of work without

shaving down and he has a very good reputation.

Like you I was worried about shave down,

but thought I should do whatever helps the

doctor achieve outstanding results. It ended

up really being not much of an issue for me.

Personally I think Dr. Wong is one of the best at crowns.

Dr. Wong short video about crown transplants.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thanks. That makes sense, although I'd like to think that the best docs won't transect native hairs during the procedure -- the reason it takes so much longer without shaving is because they're careful NOT to do that I would hope. But the increased risk is certainly there.

I've had 2 procedures and experienced no noticeable shock loss, although my first 2 were on the hairline where there wasn't much native hair -- it might be a different story for me on the crown but my fingers are crossed.

Has anyone noticed a difference in results between patients who shaved and patients who didn't?

I think you'll find that the majority of the commonly known "best" Docs insist on shaving down.

Do they all insist because it is quicker or because it produces better results?

Maybe some of the Doctors who aren't considered one of the "best" and are less busy will not insist on shaving down and use it as a USP?

After all, the HT industry is a multi million dollar one.

It's probably best to be shaved. Hopefully, you took a decent amount of time off work.

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Anyone got any input with regards to doctors good for crown work?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

An important question for you Rhino, are you on the main hair loss prevention meds? You've had two prior surgeries and your loss in the crown looks like it's spreading. When did your hair loss begin?

"Do they all insist because it is quicker or because it produces better results?"

Soooo... no actual answer to this? I had just assume it gives the doctor space to work.

I would trust each Doctor to operate the way the see best. Some may not shave, but I would guess you are kind of working in the dark - Why risk it?

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.