Miniaturization Question

Spanker

Is new growth (not ht growth but hair leaving the resting phase) thinner than mature hair? Are all the shorter thinner hairs on their way out or could some be on their way in?

Thee reason I ask is because when I part my hair, which seems fairly thick, I can see some shorter and thinner hair, like one at the part every cm or two. So I wonder, are these hairs that are coming back through a normal cycle or are they just dying a slow death? Is it just a guess and the test of time?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this question. How does one, without a microscope, tell the difference between new hair coming in (entering the growth phase) and short hairs being choked out from DHT. When I do a tight part (press my hair hair down in opposite directions) I see quite a few shorties. Any idea how to tell the difference? The part width looks normal. (I was looking at a shady looking mole on my head when I noticed this, not obsessing over my hair).

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

from what i have read the hair gets thinner and thinner as they mature...finer and finer till they do not return.

the exception is after a hair transplant. these hairs get thicker as they mature over a couple of years.

though at some point these too should become finer and finer over the years....hopefully many, many years

You can identify miniaturizing hairs because these hairs begin to weaken in caliber, grow at a slower rate, and become lighter in pigment. If what you want to do is extend the life of these hairs then you must extend the time that they are in the active growth phase and shorten the time that the hair is in the resting phase. Blocking dihydrotestosterone (DHT) isn't the only thing important for your existing hair. You should also use anagen stimulators to prolong the life of your hair.

Meet WHTC's Dr. Patrick Mwamba in London - Free consultations Feb. 15th, 2014

World Hair Transplant Center

Web: www.mywhtc.com

Email: customer.care@mywhtc.com

Tel USA: 770 663-1290

Tel UK: 44 2033186228

Tel BE: 32 479753281

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You can identify miniaturizing hairs because these hairs begin to weaken in caliber, grow at a slower rate, and become lighter in pigment. If what you want to do is extend the life of these hairs then you must extend the time that they are in the active growth phase and shorten the time that the hair is in the resting phase. Blocking dihydrotestosterone (DHT) isn't the only thing important for your existing hair. You should also use anagen stimulators to prolong the life of your hair.

Meet WHTC's Dr. Patrick Mwamba in London - Free consultations Feb. 15th, 2014

World Hair Transplant Center

Web: www.mywhtc.com

Email: customer.care@mywhtc.com

Tel USA: 770 663-1290

Tel UK: 44 2033186228

Tel BE: 32 479753281

Right, but doesn't a new hair just coming into the growth phase share these traits? Like a new blade of grass? My wife has these too (probably less though) and we are both beginning to go grey so we have many different colored hairs. I have found that some of the hair that looks miniaturized are brand new hairs that are going to be white. I think some of these hairs on me may be dying, but I think a lot are just reemerging too, given that my wife has the same thing going on I think it there is a pretty good chance that I have both going on and not every little short hair I am seeing is dying. I am pretty sure she isn't losing her hair.

View Spanker's Website

Hi Spanker

Miniaturised hair will be easier to pull out with less effort or pain, whereas healthier is usually harder and a little bit of a sting to pulling it if in the growth phase.

This test is not overly scientific but ease of pulling may give an indication and I recall in my early loss stages was the case when I compared healthy to weaker hairs. There will be a general percentage that will pull easy due to being in the resting phase and comb out for example so as said not overly definitive but may give an indication. Certainly pulling my chest hair really hurts so they are very healthy.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Hi Spanker

Miniaturised hair will be easier to pull out with less effort or pain, whereas healthier is usually harder and a little bit of a sting to pulling it if in the growth phase.

This test is not overly scientific but ease of pulling may give an indication and I recall in my early loss stages was the case when I compared healthy to weaker hairs. There will be a general percentage that will pull easy due to being in the resting phase and comb out for example so as said not overly definitive but may give an indication. Certainly pulling my chest hair really hurts so they are very healthy.

sl,

I agree with this, I think the ones on their way out come out pretty easy.

View Spanker's Website

I think I will be giving that test a miss. I ain't pulling any hair out of my head:D

Good topic spanker. I'm always worrying about wether meds are really working for me, or has my hair continued to thin at the back.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Good luck Irish. I hope I'm seeing new hair, I'll eventually be fairly advanced if what I am seeing is on its way out and not on its was it. :-\

View Spanker's Website

Spanker, you have an amazing head of hair for a guy in his mid thirties. If you end up a high Norwood then there's no hope for most of us out there.:P

I reckon after my next little top up I will blog for the 18months then I'm walking away from the forums. As great as these forums are I think there comes a point you have to walk away and get on with life. I still take pics of my hair, always looking at the crown and wonder, would I really still do it if I was on the forum.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Hello Spanker,

The traits of the new anagen hairs will continue to be weak unless you become proactive with medical therapy. You can improve the characteristics (diameter and weight) of these hairs.

It may be time for you to consider snapping off a few photos to monitor the progression. At least you would have a record to observe for future reference.

Free In-person consultations in London with WHTC's Dr. Patrick Mwamba - Saturday, February 15, 2014

My opinions are not necessarily the opinions of Dr. Patrick Mwamba.

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Stay in there Spanker Hold on to that Jungle, and enjoy it, as long as you can. Genetics is a weird thing. I've come to the conclusion that you should never go by family patterns. If we did, I'd still have a pretty damn full set of hair.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

• 5 months later...

So, back to this topic, I did some research and really there is not solid way from my research to tell a new hair entering the anagen phase and a miniaturized hair on its way out . This is why I assume that Dr. Rassaman and others allow for up to 20 percent miniaturization as normal. A new anagen hair will be finer at the beginning with a shallower root as well, so when you part your hair and see little hairs sticking up, many are/may be healthy hairs starting a new cycle.

I researched this because when I tightly part my hair, I see a lot of short hairs of varying lengths and calibers, and wondered if I was thinning over a larger area, because I see this throughout most of my head, even the donor some (which is not as dense as the top). So, for anyone wondering, seeing some short and finer hair is apparently not a guarantee of it's imminent death.

zWXo9fGlD9VAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

http://hairdoc.com/book/Chapter_02_hair_loss_answers.pdf

This link describes the phase without any promotional data, which is compliance with HTN's terms and conditions. It has most of the stuff in it that the veterans already know, but is worth a read, especially for newer members.

My only question left would be, at what length should the new hair be at terminal caliber assuming it is a fully healthy new hair?

w8j6lyde5MuBAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

View Spanker's Website

• 2 weeks later...