Crown versus Hairline Loss

1978matt

In many ways I envy people with Crown loss. It seems to me more managable to hide but on the flip side it is not so easily treated surgically, i.e. the "black hole" of hair restoration. However, medication is generally more effective.

I sometimes wonder if a crown loser would feel any more worse if it were their hairline and not the crown.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

This HT should sort out my hairline

My crown bothers me though. It's not bald, there's hair there but it's definitely weak - I require concealer especially if under bright lights - unless I want my scalp showing. I would love to get surgery for it, I'd probably need 1500-3000 grafts (based on my absolute laymans knowledge) but Dr. Feller said he wouldn't touch it due to my age and potential permanent shock loss.

I think what I said to Dr. Feller in my consultation proves what is worse, for me at least. He asked what I would like done - I said my hairline restored and maybe a bit of work to boost the crown.

Hairline was the priority, crown was secondary.

Both are a b*tch, though.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

My crown bothers me though. Dr. Feller said he wouldn't touch it due to my age and potential permanent shock loss.

Tommy.....are crowns a lot more susceptible for "permanent shock loss"?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I have no idea. Maybe he didn't even say permanent, but that seems to be my memory of it!

I would like to find out a bit more about it actually, I'd love a bulk up back there at some point...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I would like to find out a bit more about it actually, I'd love a bulk up back there at some point...

Yes the crown is very important to me too, although I am about 15 years older than you so I suppose my future loss is a bit more predictable. After my recent grafts grow in and I see how they look....it's possible I could return to Hasson/Wong to have Dr. Wong build up my crown just a bit more. We'll see.

I tell you what though...that Nanogen works great on crowns!

The only problem is it is a bit pricey and sooooo addictive! Because once you're seen with a non-balding crown....ya hate to go back to showing scalp again. I am using it again post-op and people think all my surgery grafts have grown back in....I hear almost daily "wow your hair transplants looks great!

Edited by Shampoo

Yes the crown is very important to me too, although I am about 15 years older than you so I suppose my future loss is a bit more predictable. After my recent grafts grow in and I see how they look....it's possible I could return to Hasson/Wong to have Dr. Wong build up my crown just a bit more. We'll see.

I tell you what though...that Nanogen works great on crowns!

The only problem is it is a bit pricey and sooooo addictive! Because once you're seen with a non-balding crown....ya hate to go back to showing scalp again. I am using it again post-op and people think all my surgery grafts have grown back in....I hear almost daily "wow your hair transplants looks great!

The age thing is funny. I find myself wishing I was a 50 year old NW5 or something so that I could go to H&W and get my hair sorted in one pass! The curse of youth! It's like it's a bad thing to be young and not quite so bald.......who'd have ever thought it?!

I think my recent paranoia about propecia wearing off was actually to do with how my priorities have changed. Now my hairline/frontal third should be sorted out, I'm noticing the midscalp and crown more.........I don't think it's actually changed in the last few years, but now that I'm not focused on the front, I realise how weak the back is.

What colour is your hair and what colour Nanogen do you use? It doesn't seem to do much for me, but maybe it's my hair style.

The age thing is funny. I find myself wishing I was a 50 year old NW5 or something so that I could go to H&W and get my hair sorted in one pass!

Tommy....no you dont!

lol

But I see your point.

What colour is your hair and what colour Nanogen do you use? It doesn't seem to do much for me, but maybe it's my hair style.

I was born a red head....never a fire red...but redish....but my hair as I grew older turned more reddish blonde/light brown.....so I use the the Auburn color.

The picture below from the Nanogen website is a somewhat close rep of what mine looks like before and after every morning before work....maybe not quite that good....but almost.

size_2_man_b_and_a_4.jpg

In many ways I envy people with Crown loss. It seems to me more managable to hide but on the flip side it is not so easily treated surgically, i.e. the "black hole" of hair restoration. However, medication is generally more effective.

I sometimes wonder if a crown loser would feel any more worse if it were their hairline and not the crown.

Well I don't have any hair in my crown/top of my head/hairline which equals a Norwood VI even though I had an HT 7/8 years ago with MHR (I don't think they are around any more) of around 1600 grafts in the frontal third.

I'm planning on an HT in the next 3 months but I'm really considering having my crown (vertex?) filled in as much as possible with just a few hundred grafts on the top and hairline. So for now my crown is more bothersome to me.

BTW this is my 1st post here :D

Nanogen is good. Luckily the cost is not really an issue for me. However, it would be nice if was a bit cheaper.

I buy the medium brown which matches Just for Men light brown extremely well. If I'm careful I can beef up the hairline in a way the fibres are unnoticeable except up close. I use the fibres mostly in the frontal 3rd. The locking spray is a must.

I think I'm getting through about 30g of the stuff per month. Probably GBP1 a day. It's a bummer going to the gym but I now go late after work and go home without bothering to reapply. Trying to apply it after a workout during the day was a real nightmare!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day