newbie - triangular alopecia

hello all,

after some advice over what i believe i have is triangular alopecia. a 1 inch bald spot on my right temple surrounded by normal hair which appeared during my early 20s along with my normal balding. i am 45 now. no treatments have had any effect on it. have been on minoxidil and propecia for 10yrs +

i actually am only interested in fixing this and so in hair transplant terms must be small . However, is it easy to fix a side bald spot convincingly and what kind of surgery is best, strip or fue?

thanks,

mark86

Sounds like it could be a case of Alopecia Areata. A case this size could likely be handled nicely with FUE. However, I'd make sure to consult with a dermatologist to first ensure that the patch isn't being caused by an outside source, and then visit an ethical hair transplant surgeon to assess how the area will respond to implanted grafts.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I've had this bald spot for many years and swayed between doing something to fix it or leaving it. Can anyone confirm or otherwise whether this is Triangular alopecia and if an attempt to fix it by hair transplant would be cosmetically very good or if actually it would just would not look too good.

Photo should be attached!

thankyou

5b32ee550c6f2_20160822_133227(1).thumb.jpg.c55e38ac9fec02c9bd9969cad4fd368f.jpg

This does not look like Alopecia Areata to me but a classic case of Triangular Alopecia. My premonition is that yes it could be surgically corrected and no doubt with FUE grafts. You also IMHO would not need a high density pass to improve the appearance of the area.

But I need to be careful as am not a doctor and that's who you really need an opinion from.

Hope you can get this successfully resolved...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This looks more like Triangular Alopecia to me , especially because of the spots location. Most cases of Alopecia Areata would have shown some new hair growth after that amount of time. I suppose you could try one Kenelog injection to see if it stimulated any hair growth. However, I would be more inclined to try and put some grafts in that area as I would expect better results.

Hi Mark,

Looks like I gave my "two cents" over 3 years ago before you shared a picture. Based on the image alone, I agree that this does look like temporal triangular alopecia in and of itself. However, I can see some of the rest of your scalp in the picture, and it looks like you're suffering from hair loss in the top and front of the scalp as well.

Because of this, I think there may be 3 possibilities here: 1) It is classic temporal triangular alopecia (TTA). If this is the case, Gillenator is correct in stating that this is very responsive to hair transplant surgery. 2) This is androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) that is affecting multiple areas of the scalp. It may be affecting the frontal portions of the temple region here, and that is what is causing that patch to open up there. I've seen patches like this in male pattern hair loss before. 3) It could be a combination of TTA in the temple region there and male pattern baldness in other areas of the scalp. Most of the time the "simplest answer is the correct answer" in medicine, so this may be less likely. But you never know.

I'd go see a doctor and get an evaluation in person.

Best of luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the replies everyone

You are right that I posted this 3 years ago and I guess I'm still unsure what to do but I know it does bother me.

The spot opened up at the same time as normal balding started age 20ish. There was no problem before that.

It quickly took the shape it is now and has been stable since.

I thought most triangular alopecia cases happened very early in life and not from early 20s????....

I have seen a dermatologist and had some steroid injections some ears ago but no response.

I also have significant balding on top now.

This type of hair loss can occur at really any age and although not a common form of hair loss, it can occur.

And if the area did not respond to steroid injections, then surgery may be the best resolve for you as both doctors have suggested.

Hope everything works out for you Mark.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Looks like an easy fue fix. Fue especially if you are not doing anything about your traditional MPB. A good HT doc visit in person is definitely the was to go.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks,

I have also been advised on line to see ht doctors who have carried out triangular alopecia repairs as these can look unnatural if not done well.

Is there something special about these kind of repairs?

Thanks

Mark86

The keys to this type of repair comes down to several things. Graft selection is critical so that hair shaft diameter (caliber) is closely matched to the existing hair. This is where FUE would be advantageous because the surgeon can cherry pick the grafts that are best suited.

The angulation of the grafts must match the angulation of the hair that borders the recipient area which is currently barren of any hair. When the grafts grow out, the result should look like the hair was there all along and not grafts. Also, the level of density needs to be accurately matched to the neighboring hair or the newly grafted recipient area may look unnatural or like an island.

Gillenator

Hi,

As well as the TTA I have (previous posts) I also have significant balding on top (age 48 now). Have been on Fin and Min for 20 yrs+ now and i'm sure it has slowed my hair loss down a great deal (no effect at all on the TTA).

However, I am noticing now (first time today!!) that whilst a lot of the top is almost bald now, there are some areas that still have hair desperately clinging to life!...what this means though is that a non-uniform pattern is forming on the scalp of hair in places which look out of place (such as islands of hair - really don't think this is AA).

So I am right in thinking that for those that don't treat their hair loss, it will progress in largely a uniform pattern with no 'strange' islands of hair appearing, however, I am now wondering whether fin has run its course for me and is now giving me more problems that benefit...time to quit maybe ?

Have tried Hairmax Laserband for 6 months - no effect (could be because I am too far gone)

Also, on Neogenic ampoules

Thanks,