For 2013, We Wish for You...More Hair!

Patients sometimes wonder if lowering a hairline that never truly receded is possible. Correcting a hairline that has always left a larger-than-desired forehead? This patient demonstrates that…Yes. It is.

A 51-year-old man who had a total of 4055 grafts over two sessions. The most recent session took place less than five months ago. Therefore, this patient still has a good 13 months of continued hair growth to look forward to!

Edited by Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.
transitioning to Vimeo from YouTube in order to continually update videos

Nicely done! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 6 months later...

Wow, that is a LOT of grafts for the given space and the density of the result. Any update on the pt?

Given his age, I would not say that it is inappropriate.

One CAN lower a hairline that never receded, however, it can really come at a cost.Both monetarily and in available grafts.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

1s = 661, 2s = 2146, Fine 2s = 118, 3s = 725, Fine 3s = 278, FFs = 132

Hi, Dr. Wesley,

1) What are FFs?

2) Are 3s the largest size graft you use?

3) Can you illustrate how you distribute these grafts throughout the scalp (for example, in Mickey85's post diagraming FU placement only 1s are used in the front of the scalp - is that your approach as well?): http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170490-hair-transplant-basics.html#post2346762

4) You are using pens for implantation, yes? Do pens allow for high density packing as well as optimal angling of grafts as seen in the sagittal slits of Dr. Feriduni's photos? In the same link above by Mickey85, Mickey85 writes:

"[Lateral slits allow] for better direction and angle as you can implant at much flatter angles....The incisions also tend to be more parallel to the scalp less invasive to the scalp’s underlying vascular structure. This parallel alignment also allows more grafts per square centimeter without the grafts compressing or popping up since the pressure exerted on the grafts does not push them upward from the scalp." (For clarification, Mickey85 is comparing sagittal slits to lateral slits with that statement, but I was wondering how implantation pens compared to lateral slits.)

5) After visiting your website, where can I find more information on your "scarless surgery"? It's pretty vague. And also what is the status of "FDA approval as your website states, "Beginning as early as 2013, the surgical technique patented by Dr. Wesley will receive FDA Approval and be made available to patients worldwide."?

Thank you!

- Nathaniel

Edited by nathaniel
posted incorrect link to Mickey85's page, edited for clarity, corrected "sagittal" to "lateral" in quotation

Definitely a great result!! Nice work Dr. Wesley.....

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Wow, that is a LOT of grafts for the given space and the density of the result. Any update on the pt?

Given his age, I would not say that it is inappropriate.

One CAN lower a hairline that never receded, however, it can really come at a cost.Both monetarily and in available grafts.

I kinda agree, BUTT the guy did have a lot of real estate, BUTT it was a LOT of grafts.....The music really pissed me off!!!!! haha

• 4 weeks later...

1) What are FFs?

2) Are 3s the largest size graft you use?

3) Can you illustrate how you distribute these grafts throughout the scalp (for example, in Mickey85's post diagraming FU placement only 1s are used in the front of the scalp - is that your approach as well?):

- Nathaniel

FFs are Follicular Families. They involved four (4) or more hair follicles and are found in patients with relatively dense and closely-packed bundles of hair. They are great for density, but not for a soft hairline. It's best to use them behind a series of fine 1-haired grafts that are blended with fine 2-hair grafts. There is always a general progression of more "full" grafts (those with a larger number of hairs/graft) when you work your way posteriorly (backwards) from the hairline as well as a progression of finer caliber hair to more coarse caliber hair. This helps generate a more natural gradient of softness to fullness.

It varies, however, in patients who have minimal color contrast between their hair and scalp (surgeons can more readily add more "full" grafts closer to the hairline) versus patients who have greater color contrast between their hair and scalp (in whom the more "full" grafts are best tucked behind more fine-caliber follicles).