Am i at a disadvantage?

Most of the patients i have seen are caucasian. I am an african american male, i'm 18 and started receeding at corners. I first ignored it, but after recent haircut, it's now very noticable, and my hairline is thinning.

I have no idea what to do. I'm scared to go on finasteride.

Does receeding mean that i'm going bald? My dad has receeded, and it's been that way for a very long time. All my uncles on my mom's side are bald. On my dad's one is bald, another receeded, the other perfect hairline. My cousins aren't receeding. My older brother isn't receeding, but my younger brother is.

Are you at a disadvantage because you're african american? No, all races have the similar problems with their hairlines. Since you are only 18 you could just be experiencing a maturing of a youthful hairline (one that is straight across) to a mature male adult hairline that is slightly receded at the temples, although without pictures it is hard to say for sure.

Yeah, I agree with Spanker. Most likely you have a maturing hairline. But get a miniaturization test done just to be safe. Keep an open mind with finasteride. It has been a life saver for me.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group