Hello all, 1st post. 27yrs old need advice, pics attached

Hi everyone,

First of all, this forum has been such a huge help in my research process as well as it seems like a nice non threatening environment to get good, honest feedback. I never really noticed that I was losing my hair and had a receding hairline until people brought it to my attention (thanks a lot jerks) this past year.

Being single and self conscience, for the past few months its about at the point where it's on my mind every day. I'll be honest, I'm scared to get a HT, but not because of the pain or even the amount of money it will cost, but if people would find out. I have an office job, so I'm good M-F, but I'm very active at church and am often giving presentations and exposed to many people.

I have noticed there are a ton of highly recommended doctors in the Chicago area that I will hopefully have some consultations with soon. I'm currently not on any rogaine or proceia or any other medication, as I wanted to get recommendations from doctors first. Anyway, I could go on and on, but these are a few of the more specific questions I had. I'm sure there will be many, many, more.

-What would be your estimate on the amount of grafts I would need? My main area of concern is my left temple, but also the right side, and the hairline. I know it's said the $ shouldn't be the main concern, but just looking for a rough ballpark.

-How much time would I need to take off? I notice people saying they take a week off of work, but I would want it to where nobody would have the slightest hint I had a HT. I've been styling my hair with the comb-over look lately so hopefully that would hide it better.

-I'm 27 years old, if I get a HT now, is it almost a certainty that I would need another procedure in the future? Is this going to be something that I would have to concern myself with for the rest of my life?

Thanks so much for all the help, means a lot to me.

IMG_1337.jpg.48a402abafaa2a6fb8cf30af0441a0a8.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg.f50d0950021a64083bbda81d77130dfd.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg.fd8797fa425f724feafdd098d997b2c4.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg.9ec61e3ebafbf049d716440b54dc4e8a.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg.25bf88ea09b7e3ce63d793bbf7822f6f.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg.83f6d09579e56678184f51efc13b4002.jpg

Hello there, welcome to the forums. This site helped me also, in my time of questions and need.

As for how many grafts you'll need, I think between 1500-2000 grafts. 2000 might be on the high side though. You should get on propecia immediately! It'll help stabilize your hair loss. You final hair loss will depend on genetics. How bald are the other men in your family?

A week off from work is more than enough. I took about 4 days off and wore hats after that, but not too tightly. Also as far as people noticing, they won't.

The hair will grow in naturally and people will just assume that you're growing your hair out. I was MUCH worse than you and no one has noticed. They all say "You're wearing your hair longer, it looks good".

Hope I was helpful.

Yes if you can tolerate propecia give it a try. I would say you will need future hair transplants in the future as you are only 27, but again drugs and family history come into play here. Keep in mind you will have scabs for at least two weeks and so I would say if you want to be sure plan for at least a couple weeks off. Also go conservative in your hairline planning.

hello there;

Imo you have a nice head of hair but with the aging process there is always a risk to lost more of it for all of us, as for the pictures you may or may not experience a bit more loss of the temple points of your hair since a miniturazation process seems rounding at that area.

If i were you, i would firstly go to see a derm to assess the cause within the result if any prescribe would have been given by the derm, using it and with the luck of no side-effects, i would stay with that prescribe until my mid-30's to see if my hair loss is stabilized.By no means waiting until mid-30's would stop your hairloss, you can always face it but with this observing would be easier to predict for the future and preparing the plan of your fight.

All in all, you can also have online consultations to get an idea from a hair-transplant doctor that what they will offer for your current situation, but if there is a doctor which is recommended from this site near to you, do not hesitate to have a face to face consultation since it will be easier for them to assess the situation and give you a more direct answer.

All best.

I suggest propecia and 1200 grafts. This number of grafts would make a nice difference while keeping it conservative since you are young and still have a nice head of hair with a low and thick center hairline.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I know how you're feeling mate, several echos in what you write could apply to myself!

Give Minoxidil and Propecia a try for at least 6 months. I wouldn't get too hung up on the side effects - if you get you will return to normal after stopping the pills.

You certainly have some great Docs near you: Konior, Keller, Panine... Book an appointment with all 3.

I reckon you might require 2000-2500 but it depends on the density and keeping some donor in the bank in case of further recession. I think that would cost about $13-14k.

I'm considering taking a career break/extended unpaid vacation and getting a HT. Perhaps 3 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi everyone,

First of all, this forum has been such a huge help in my research process as well as it seems like a nice non threatening environment to get good, honest feedback. I never really noticed that I was losing my hair and had a receding hairline until people brought it to my attention (thanks a lot jerks) this past year.

Being single and self conscience, for the past few months its about at the point where it's on my mind every day. I'll be honest, I'm scared to get a HT, but not because of the pain or even the amount of money it will cost, but if people would find out. I have an office job, so I'm good M-F, but I'm very active at church and am often giving presentations and exposed to many people.

I have noticed there are a ton of highly recommended doctors in the Chicago area that I will hopefully have some consultations with soon. I'm currently not on any rogaine or proceia or any other medication, as I wanted to get recommendations from doctors first. Anyway, I could go on and on, but these are a few of the more specific questions I had. I'm sure there will be many, many, more.

-What would be your estimate on the amount of grafts I would need? My main area of concern is my left temple, but also the right side, and the hairline. I know it's said the $ shouldn't be the main concern, but just looking for a rough ballpark.

-How much time would I need to take off? I notice people saying they take a week off of work, but I would want it to where nobody would have the slightest hint I had a HT. I've been styling my hair with the comb-over look lately so hopefully that would hide it better.

-I'm 27 years old, if I get a HT now, is it almost a certainty that I would need another procedure in the future? Is this going to be something that I would have to concern myself with for the rest of my life?

Thanks so much for all the help, means a lot to me.

I started losing my hair when I was 18...I had a transplant when I was 19, pretty decent at the time but that was 1993..fast forward 22 years and Ive been on and off propecia and rogaine except for the last 2 years Ive been steady and Ive had one world class hair transplant with Dr Rahal...

To my benefit I think for starting to lose my hair at 18 Ive had a very slow loss...so to answer your question, you may or may not need a future transplant...it just depends on your genetics..your hair looks pretty good to me..

If you are in Chicago... GO SEE DR KONIOR!!!! Top notch.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I agree with 1978matt, your in the best spot for hair transplant surgeon. For natural hairline and temple work, there was a post by SeizingFate detailing his full experience he has posted a lot of photos and updates from before and after that is very detailed, especially what happened after the surgery. Give his post a read, I found it very helpful.

The time you will need off work is dependent on many factors. There are no physical restrictions from the next day onwards (with the exception of post op guidance) but if secrecy is the key be careful!

Like you I work in an office environment and deliver presentations and as such had nearly 3 weeks in hibernation but in reality I could of done with another 3 weeks at least. This is an other area I would encourage you research further.

Your in a better position than I was with hair thickness but Im not to dissimilar to you. Have a look at my story to date.

Hair Restoration Journal for Cowhorns - Before Surgery

We have all been through the initial stages of hairloss. In my mind, the first action is to stabilize the hairloss (speak with your doctor). After that, you can see what further actions are needed to treat your situation

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for you comments and your advice, it is very much appreciated.

I just finished a preliminary screening today at the office of Dr. Konior, I have scheduled a consultation with Dr. Paine on the 12th, and Dr. Keller on the 16th.

Keep the replies/options coming! I will keep you all posted!

I think you would get a fantastic result with Panine. I think he does the best frontal hairline work and doesn't have his patients shave their head. i.e. less "ugly ducking" downtime. I wouldn't even think about a transplant if it wasn't going to 2k grafts or better at your age. 1200 may very well get you a strong improvment, but not worth cutting a donor scare that big for such a small area. Propecia and Rogaine will really help out for future loss especially in the crown area. Best of luck.

Shave your head down before hand so you can get used to that look. Then see if you still want to go the HT route.

Also think about hairline, and future loss. You can build your hair line however you want, maybe a windows peak instead of going across.

If your loss does not stabilize, you will absolutely need a second HT, for that up front area.

Is your crown thinning? That's too fronts of hair loss, it will be a big deal if you go HT route.

Thank you all for you comments and your advice, it is very much appreciated.

I just finished a preliminary screening today at the office of Dr. Konior, I have scheduled a consultation with Dr. Paine on the 12th, and Dr. Keller on the 16th.

Keep the replies/options coming! I will keep you all posted!

Nice one. It would be facinating to see if their opinions are all the same. Please do post what they said after the 16th..

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day