Scalp Exercises - Anyone have Experience?

I've been taking propecia 1mg in combination with 2% Nizoral for 6 months now, and I've yet to see any results. I still seem to be receding (21 years, NW2, getting worse at the hairline) and I'm losing hope.

Has anyone found any personal benefits from 'scalp exercises'? Or are they just a myth?

If they are helpful, would anyone be able to recommend which ones to do, and for how long/day?

Some more details: My scalp 'burns' every few days after I haven't washed my hair, and it hurts when I move my hair in any direction (Scalp feels sore and dry). This is often followed by a lot of hair shedding.

Edited by 21YearsAndScared

Are you planning on having surgery? Scalp laxity exercises are done in anticipation of having strip surgery in order to loosen ones scalp so that a Doc can safely take a bigger strip in order to maximize the number of grafts that can be used. I have heard many Doctors and patients say that they are effective in loosening up a tight scalp and improving results.

Scalp exercises by themselves are not done to help grow hair.

I've been taking propecia 1mg in combination with 2% Nizoral for 6 months now, and I've yet to see any results. I still seem to be receding (21 years, NW2, getting worse at the hairline) and I'm losing hope.

Has anyone found any personal benefits from 'scalp exercises'? Or are they just a myth?

If they are helpful, would anyone be able to recommend which ones to do, and for how long/day?

Some more details: My scalp 'burns' every few days after I haven't washed my hair, and it hurts when I move my hair in any direction (Scalp feels sore and dry). This is often followed by a lot of hair shedding.

Definitely not a myth...how much do they work,,,I dont know, but I know they help some.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Are you planning on having surgery? Scalp laxity exercises are done in anticipation of having strip surgery in order to loosen ones scalp so that a Doc can safely take a bigger strip in order to maximize the number of grafts that can be used. I have heard many Doctors and patients say that they are effective in loosening up a tight scalp and improving results.

Scalp exercises by themselves are not done to help grow hair.

I'm not planning on it for at least 5 years, and if I do it'll probably be FUE.

I just heard it helps stimulate blood flow which may help with growth.

There's a video on youtube I think by Jotronic showing how to do scalp excercises.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

i have average donor density and fine hair but i was doing scalp massage exercises for almost a year, this greatly increased my laxity to the point where doctor feriduni could extract 4500 grafts in one pass, so they were a great help to me.

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

I'm not planning on it for at least 5 years, and if I do it'll probably be FUE.

I just heard it helps stimulate blood flow which may help with growth.

If you are doing this in five years, don't bother with scalp laxity exercises at this time.

If you are having FUE, don't bother with scalp laxity exercises at all.

If you are doing it to increase blood flow to help with growth, don't bother with scalp laxity exercises as it is a waste of time.

They will not help for any of the scenarios or reasons you outlined.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Regarding Scalp exercises. I remember years ago the debate on this with some docs pro and the others saying it had marginal value. I had 2 procedures with Dr. True at the time (4 total to this day) and we discussed it . I believe he said I could certainly do some exercises but don't expect too much from them. Fast forward to the procedure he was actually vey surprised how much "looser" the scalp was and we were both pleased as I had the largest yield of the 3 FUT's (4th was FUE).

Personally, it did help me and I felt the recovery was a bit easier with less tightness in the donor area.

Hope this helps

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 months later...

If you have not had surgery before and you have average laxity and density then the exercises aren't required. If you are going for AMAP (as many as possible) then certainly they would be indicated. If you are a repair patient then they are a must.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians