minoxidil 12% or 15%

Hi guys. I have stopped using rogaine 5% liquid/foam because i dont think it is doing anything for me (still using finpecia though). I want to try out minoxidil 12% or 15% and would to know the following:

1 Where to buy? I have seen it at genhair (are they ok). fyi - i am in the uk

2 Usage, still twice a day?

3 Has anyone any experiences of using it? good or bad!

I just want to give it a go for a year to see if i can get any regrowth (crown and vertex) before contemplating another surgery.

Many thanks guys.:)

Good question. I know you can get it from the Belgravia Clinic but everyone says they are overpriced.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Minoxidil based products manufactured for the use/treatment of hairloss in strengths over 5% are primarily made outside of the US. This is because the FDA must approve any medicinal based products made within the US.

This may be why finding the other higher strengths can be more difficult to find and purchase. There can be more pronounced side-effects from the other higher strength products as well such as facial puffing/swelling, lingering redness, facial hair growth on cheeks, forehead, ears, etc. There can also be more drying, flaking, and irritation of the epidermis because of the higher and additional alchohol related inactive additives combined in the various product choices.

Either way, I hope you find better resolve in treating your hairloss. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

i have decided to go with the belgravia clinic for 6 months or so to see if any growth can be achieved. i am to use 8% minox lotion in the morning an 10% lotion in the evenings, and carry on with fin as normal. the cost is ?225 for 3 months, expensive i know hence me asking for help about other high strength minox products. i think its worth tryingthough before i have any further surgery. :)

225 just for minoxidil?

I'm paying 250 every 3 months for the minox AND propecia. They also told me it'd be 140 for the minoxidil if I drop propecia. I've heard they aren't consistent with prices, that's absurd charging you that amount.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

i agree, i knew it was going to be expensive hence starting the thread! the only good thing is that at least it is the real thing (we hope!). i will try it for 6 to 12 months to see if it makes a difference, if it does i will then look for a cheaper alternative.

There is no way of knowing if it's the real thing I don't think. I've made my last order with Belgravia, when the current batch of meds runs out I'll be using 5% foam and finasteride from elsewhere for a much cheaper price.

Will be interesting to see if there's a change when I get onto the 5%...................and if your situation changes with the supposed 12.5%

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I started it at the same time as propecia so I don't know how much of an effect the minoxidil has/had. Overall there was a major improvement in both loss stabilisation AND regrowth. Only problem is the price - they have that big expensive central London office to pay for so they charge way over the odds.

i believe it is available in the US, but i didnt know who or where it was sold. The only solid source i knew of was from belgravia in london. It may all turn out to be a load of b******s in the end but its got to be worth a try!!:)

Hope you have good results with it! ;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of minoxidil at all. Personally, I'd never recommend it to anyone.

When I used it I had very little regrowth, pretty much fuzz at best and I quite using it. From there, I started taking propecia. I've had far more success using that.

I'd recommend Minoxidil, especially for those who can't take Finasteride.

In combination or on its own I think it's worth it.

I found an old work photo from February 2010 and was pleased to see I have more hair in the hairline than I did then. It isnt a massive improvement - I'd say I got 20-30% increase in density.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Finasteride inhibits DHT, the culprit attacking our hair follicles, minoxidil does not.

But still, both drugs are the only two FDA approved hairloss meds which to this day have the best resolve than anything else available for treating MPB.

Gillenator