6 Months Later after FUE and only showing 15-20% growth! bit worried!

Hairybadger

Hey hairybadger,

Was reading your post and what looks to be a poor outcome.

Sorry about that!

I feel your pain.

I was in your shoes last September / about 8 months after getting a FUE procedure at north valley plastic surgery in Jan 2012. . .dr Gitt. . .who still hasn't called me back after several requests.

I am glad your doctor agreed to see you and agreed it was a poor result. Some peace of mind there?

Can't believe he didn't give you some money back or at least offer a free redo, but you and I wouldn't go for that as we know nothing will change the second time around.

They will tell you to wait a full year, etc. . .bunch of bull in my opinion.

I went with dr DIEP in October and at 3 months had at least 80% of hairs transplanted growing nicely. Now at past 4 months the growth is tremendous!

In both our cases, waiting any more time and praying for a tiny bit more hair growth at best is the most frustrating thing ever. You know you not going to be happy in the end and have to get a redo anyways.

Don't waste your time, cut your loses, and move onto a surgeon who knows what they are doing!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, sorry about the late reply. It has been a few months since I have logged into the forum so I will answer all your questions soon. I thought I would give you an update on my results. As you can see from these new photographs the results are still poor and it has been 10 months since the op and I still only have about 30% new growth.

1.jpg.8d2f9f100d0c306b7669ed458065eda7.jpg

2.jpg.2bb4e79f3c920969b8d2704455d891aa.jpg

3.jpg.bae14d71578bb7d347c8d3d0e1ba6275.jpg

4.jpg.905930311bbfd792fb0400e46067ac98.jpg

5.jpg.90fdef4bbbbf44c577fb8939d56d28b8.jpg

6.jpg.c5bba20392bb6c2ca80b5ec1579dfe26.jpg

7.jpg.ab9ace56fac39e26c982ef9ed59b7e61.jpg

8.jpg.9743b30078673bcb2e8cb1cb75f66179.jpg

9.jpg.3afe0ce286b93fe66e3c3d20dfdb94e4.jpg

10.jpg.a9f5970f5ba21f10e5c4aad027de1fcf.jpg

11.jpg.1fcaf9ac4a548c5b785d96c5b0a7504f.jpg

12.jpg.fa80978d77f99027b649d07abaad69d7.jpg

I am glad your doctor agreed to see you and agreed it was a poor result. Some peace of mind there?

Can't believe he didn't give you some money back or at least offer a free redo, but you and I wouldn't go for that as we know nothing will change the second time around.

They will tell you to wait a full year, etc. . .bunch of bull in my opinion.

Hi hair70, sorry about the late reply. So far the clinic have been quite understanding I must admit. My Surgeon admitted the resuts were dissapointing and he did say they would offer a free redo if I need it, however, I would probably prefer to get a refund if possible and just try a different surgeon to be honest. But I will wait until December before I make up my mind as they say that it takes 18 months for full results to show so we'll see.

hi hair70, im curious to know why ur first fue procedure was a failure yet ur second was a success. did the dr in bith cases do the extraction? what tool was use? manual punch / motorized punch. punch size?

Stinger99, thanks for your comment, however, you are mistaken. I haven't had a second procedure? I have only had one and it was a failure. I don't know why you thought I'd had a second one as I never said that.

I had the op 10 months ago and I have been told by my surgeon to wait until December this year before I decide whether it has failed or not as that will be 18 months after the op and that's when it will show full results apparently.

So at the moment I only have 30% growth and I am hoping (praying) that I get at least 80% before December.........somehow I can't quite see it happening but you never know.

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your procedure! If I were you, I'd just begin doing consultations with other top clinics. That to me would be the only way forward. Did you know that Feriduni is currently taking bookings for free in-person consultations in London for later this year? I think it might be November. He will fill up fast though so hurry!

I have met him recently, and to be honest, having a guy like him look at your head could be invaluable to you.

Have you looked at anyone outside the UK yet? If I were in your shoes I'd send a load of pics to other top clinics to get their opinion.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Hi hair70, sorry about the late reply. So far the clinic have been quite understanding I must admit. My Surgeon admitted the resuts were dissapointing and he did say they would offer a free redo if I need it, however, I would probably prefer to get a refund if possible and just try a different surgeon to be honest. But I will wait until December before I make up my mind as they say that it takes 18 months for full results to show so we'll see.

DONT let them redo it. I've never understood why people get a poor result from a clinic only to let the same clinic go at it again. Telling you to wait 18 months is such bung. You would see most of your growth around 9 months in most cases. You might get some extra growth from 1-2 years, but maybe the remaining 5-10% or so. These are rough estimates of course. What is concerning is still having redness at 10 months. The redness should be gone at 6 months tops. Luckily you don't have a pluggy result. It doesn't look too bad other than lack of growth and the redness. Perhaps you are a slow healer. I am pretty slow myself. I have heard of people taking longer to see growth, so who knows, maybe in the next two months magic will happen. But, it seems even the doctor seems to think the result was poor so that is concerning. I hope things continue improving for you. If you decide to get another procedure, don't let distance hinder you from getting the best doctor possible.

Stinger99, thanks for your comment, however, you are mistaken. I haven't had a second procedure? I have only had one and it was a failure. I don't know why you thought I'd had a second one as I never said that.

I had the op 10 months ago and I have been told by my surgeon to wait until December this year before I decide whether it has failed or not as that will be 18 months after the op and that's when it will show full results apparently.

So at the moment I only have 30% growth and I am hoping (praying) that I get at least 80% before December.........somehow I can't quite see it happening but you never know.

you have a great attitude and the right one

stay away from the detractors

it'll either grow by december or you will have it fixed to your liking

good luck

DONT let them redo it. I've never understood why people get a poor result from a clinic only to let the same clinic go at it again. Telling you to wait 18 months is such bung. You would see most of your growth around 9 months in most cases. You might get some extra growth from 1-2 years, but maybe the remaining 5-10% or so. These are rough estimates of course. What is concerning is still having redness at 10 months. The redness should be gone at 6 months tops. Luckily you don't have a pluggy result.

Agreed. I've had a failed repair session also from the same clinic 18 months later. Unfortunately (but at the same time more fortunate that at least I had some growth -- granted mine is 2x the number of grafts in a similar area) my hairline ended up looking pluggy instead with very sparse hairs, about 10 hairs/cm2 making it look very awkward and unnatural. People often stare and have made comments. I've contemplated plucking out the transplanted hairs or maybe even lasering them off and accept a receeding hairline. But then I snap out of it and realize that I'd be left with scar tissue temples...and I know that some doctor will be able to fix it, eventually!

In the meanwhile I depend on concealer and a combover.

Agreed. I've had a failed repair session also from the same clinic 18 months later. Unfortunately (but at the same time more fortunate that at least I had some growth -- granted mine is 2x the number of grafts in a similar area) my hairline ended up looking pluggy instead with very sparse hairs, about 10 hairs/cm2 making it look very awkward and unnatural. People often stare and have made comments. I've contemplated plucking out the transplanted hairs or maybe even lasering them off and accept a receeding hairline. But then I snap out of it and realize that I'd be left with scar tissue temples...and I know that some doctor will be able to fix it, eventually!

In the meanwhile I depend on concealer and a combover.

I have often pulled individual hairs out I was unhappy with using tweezers. Or in cases where there was a 2-hair graft towards the front that was visible, I would remove the extra hair so it was a single. As far as scarring, not sure about your individual situation but I'd rather having some scaring than something obviously pluggy. I guess it would depend on how bad the scaring is. I've removed the entire corner before and it wasn't a big deal. I just looked more bald. But, I guess I have minimal scaring so it's barely noticeable if at all.

I wouldn't laser them off. You can have them removed and replanted. I had 500 grafts relocated in my last procedure that were at poor angles or too thick. The nice thing about the tweezing is if you don't like it, it will grow back in 6 weeks or so. You mentioned contemplating this already, so sounds like the scaring is holding you back. Is it just red or do you have pitting? The redness should fade away. Thinning them out might be worth trying if not.

hi hair70, im curious to know why ur first fue procedure was a failure yet ur second was a success. did the dr in bith cases do the extraction? what tool was use? manual punch / motorized punch. punch size?

hi stinger99,

the 2 procedures were a world of difference!

where do i even start?

for first procedure. . .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167928-fue-transplant-care-neograft.html

second procedure was done by dr DIEP in los gatos.

he manually punched / extracted 1500 grafts with his special extraction tools and then poked 1500 holes in the recipient area.

thereafter, his 2 techs spent hours placing the grafts into the recipient area.

the whole meticulous procedure was very time consuming and took all day.

with regards to punch size and depth, etc. . .i think every scalp is different.

i think dr Diep takes a few different punches and looks at the follicles under the microscope to see which method and punch size and depth yields a healthy looking graft. . .then he knows exactly what to use on your scalp.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Hairklepto, I agree with what you're saying and think you're right. I don't see the point in getting a free redo. If they can't do it right the first time then I don't see how they can manage it the second time. Hopefully they will just give me a refund.

Ok folks well here I am almost a year later after the op and still showing hardly any growth so I think it's fair to see it has been a complete failure in my case. I had the op on the 1st June 2012 so almost a year is up, however, they do say that you have to wait a full 18 months to show full results so it could improve but I doubt it. I have attached the latest pictures.

1.jpg.ace84ce35481408ed3c3532b4d4b419e.jpg

2.jpg.6e522999e6c2734bcee2bfc853fea752.jpg

3.jpg.3784f75bc2c367719b7a5044265a7a92.jpg

4.jpg.92a2a2237a6e7367c072b94b5da0536a.jpg

That's gotta be heart breaking man... All the anticipation waiting for the operation, dealing with post op, the long wait month after month, and the cost. You gave up a year of your life and these guys kind of screwed you. Hopefully another surgeon can do a better job. I wonder if it's the surgeon or something unique about your physiology. I always see these situations though and another surgeon takes a crack at it and yield is fine.

Thanks Klepto,

Yeah it is pretty dissapointing but I went to see the Surgeon yesterday and he offered to do the procedure again for me free of charge. However, I think I would rather just leave it and get a refund.

I told him I will wait a few months more to decide.

It was Transform Medical Group by the way.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, just a little update on my situation. It has now been 15 months after the op carried out by Transform Medical Group and I would still say that I only have about 20% growth. Pretty poor results and I think in this case it has been a failure. However, I would say that I have noticed a thickening of the transplanted hairs but not an increase in the amount of them. There is still only about 20% which is very poor considering I paid ?6000 for this.

HB, I honestly wouldn't return to the same clinic again after receiving those results. Free procedures can sound tempting, but the reality is you only have a finite amount of grafts. Those grafts are priceless, and should be rationed out accordingly: To proper hands with proven results. I would start consulting with recommended FUE surgeons now. At 12-15 months the majority of your grafts would've grown in, and further thickening could continue. New growth in the areas lacking is highly unlikely, and I don't see a reason to wait the extra 3 months. Use those 3 months for research and consultations if you haven't yet.

Badger,

Thanks for posting and for wearing this experience like a badge ® you really are.

I've every post here.

No mention of the most important thing.

It's clearly a failure. grafts died and it comes down to, in order of most likely culprit to least;

a) Extraction

b) Storage

c) Handling

d) patients post-op care

I may have missed it, but...

How were grafts pulled out?

A manual punch?

A handheld mechanical device that went brrrrr?

A large unit like ARTAA or NEograft machine?

and did techs pull out the grafts?

I think this would be the single most relevant point about this going forward.

Badger,

Sorry to hear about this. Let me know if you would like any assistance moving forward.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Badger,

It's clearly a failure. grafts died and it comes down to, in order of most likely culprit to least;

a) Extraction

b) Storage

c) Handling

d) patients post-op care

I may have missed it, but...

How were grafts pulled out?

A manual punch?

A handheld mechanical device that went brrrrr?

A large unit like ARTAA or NEograft machine?

and did techs pull out the grafts?

I think this would be the single most relevant point about this going forward.

Hi,

It was carried out by Transform Medical Group and I cant remember the exact tool they used to extract the hairs but they were plucked individually and they were punched out I believe and punched back in. The whole extraction process took about 7 hours. Very long and it was carried out by techs (Not by the surgeon himself) is this normal practice? as personally I feel it should have been done by the surgeon.

Does this answer most of your questions?

Hi Blake (Future_HT_Doc)

Thanks for your message, I would like help, however, I am in the process of dealing with Transform Medical Group as Dr Bhatty has offered to carry out the full procedure again free of charge because even he has admitted it is a failure. Although personally I would just like a refund because if it didn't work the first time then I dont see how it is going to work again a second time and I dont know if I could go through with all the stress and upheaval again. What do you advise?

HB, I honestly wouldn't return to the same clinic again after receiving those results. Free procedures can sound tempting, but the reality is you only have a finite amount of grafts. Those grafts are priceless, and should be rationed out accordingly: To proper hands with proven results. I would start consulting with recommended FUE surgeons now. At 12-15 months the majority of your grafts would've grown in, and further thickening could continue. New growth in the areas lacking is highly unlikely, and I don't see a reason to wait the extra 3 months. Use those 3 months for research and consultations if you haven't yet.

Hi NoTakeBacks,

Thanks for your message. Yes I agree with you I dont see the point in trying again with this Clinic because if they couldnt do it right the first time then I dont see how they will be able to get it right on a second attempt.

Also, when the operation was carried out, it was done by Techs instead of the Surgeon himself, do you think this could be what the problem was?

I also think I would rather take a refund than let them try a second time.