Dr. Carlos K. Wesley: Importance of Minimal Color Contrast (2567 grafts))

This patient illustrates the importance of minimal color contrast between the hair and the skin. A 2567-graft session to the frontal half of his scalp can be seen before, during, and 18 months after treatment. Because the 35-year-old patient traveled a great distance to reach Dr. Wesley's center, the "after" images that he volunteered were taken in his own home.

MA_Straight_Before.jpg.7d1b1365da74c2958545d76d89c18c6d.jpg

MA_Overhead_Before.jpg.9f11de807af8a744d9f1481a01bcf6d2.jpg

MA_Intraop_Left.jpg.7c37d97f89ea080b4169f2c642015a74.jpg

MA_Intraop_Right.jpg.cf754d234dc718a52d8dff81d4a885c3.jpg

MA_Intraop_Overhead.jpg.62325e181cdf9ba640ae891fb5f47be2.jpg

MA_Overhead_After.jpg.19b1ea31ccd4f093a7da3225be76ade7.jpg

MA_Straight_After.jpg.e7db15452440b33f4d9bf81ebf17b56d.jpg

Edited by Billena

Did this gentleman have an HT prior to this one?

Color is important, but there is also not much that can be done about it either.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi, Spanker.

Nope. This was the patient's very first HT. He was quite nervous coming in for the session and concerned about a natural appearance down the road. He's no longer concerned.

While there's not a whole lot a patient can do regarding their color contrast (other than not dying their hair as they age), the physician can certainly alter his/her surgical design based on the degree of color contrast between hair and scalp. When the contrast is significant, a softer hairline design provides a more natural appearance. When contrast is minimal, a more aggressive approach to hairline density may be appropriate.

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice work Dr. Wesley!! I bet this patient was thrilled with his result, and rightfully so! He looks like a completely different person! 2500+ grafts did him very well :-)

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

• 6 months later...

Thanks again for your comments.

While I didn't use them in this patient, his minimal color contrast (just like that in this grey-haired Caucasian patient, for example) also makes him a great candidate for double follicular units (DFUs) that would be tucked well behind the finest hairs that are placed within a hairline. This provides great coverage as the hair gradient of softness to density progresses backwards.