Considering taking the plunge

Biz

Scheduling a consultation with Dr. Gabel in Oregon next week. I see lots of positive feedback on his work. Have to admit I'm nervous about proceeding. Would love to solve my problem permanently but wonder whether I am a good candidate. I'm a Norwood VI with very fine hair. Guess I'll find out.

Would welcome feedback from anyone who used Dr. Gabel, especially those whose situation may be similar to my own.

Biz,

Dr. Gabel is an excellent choice. Definitely consult with him and let us know how it goes. If you'd also like to consider the other excellent surgeons we recommend you can view the entire list here. To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Have now completed two virtual consultations, each very different. The first was with Hasson and Wong. After submitting my photos I also mentioned that I currently wear a hair system at 50% density. The next day I received a "generic" response. Here is the text:

Thank you for your interest in Hasson & Wong. Your degree of hair loss is quite extensive and your donor zone looks to have moderate density. This makes your expectations impossible to meet as it would be a challenge to even cover the front half of your scalp to 50% density. Therefore the doctors believe that you are not a good surgical candidate.

The note was sent by Joe, one of their consultants. I called Joe because I was a little surprised by the short response with little explanation. Joe explained that he assumed I was expecting a result identical to my hair piece, and that many of their potential patients that wear hair systems have unrealistic expectations. After further discussion Joe suggested they evaluate my scalp elasticity by having me make a video of myself doing some scalp "exercises" and send them the video. I've done this but not heard anything yet.

In sharp contrast to Hasson and Wong was my experience with Dr. Steven Gabel. After I submitted the same photos to Dr. Gabel we scheduled a virtual consultation. What was impressive is that Dr. Gabel personally phoned me! We talked for 40 minutes about the pros and cons of hair transplantation and my specific situation. When it comes to being personally involved in understanding the patient's desires this guy gets it! We agreed to touch base again in the next few days and will work to schedule a face to face consultation.

Everything else being equal, it's pretty easy to guess which of the two organizations I'm leaning towards.

• 1 month later...

Decide to pay a person visit to Hasson and Wong and had a completely different experience that what the e-mail I posted would suggest. I was able to meet personally with Dr. Wong. I found him to be gracious, friendly, and professional. He answered my questions clearly and made my wife and I feel very comfortable about the procedure(s). Dr. Wong suggested that he could realistically harvest 5000 grafts over two procedures. He shared with me representative photographs of patients with my degree of hair loss and similar donor density. The results were impressive though I'll never have a full head of hair like my hair piece creates!

I've also made an appointment with Dr. Gabel to meet with him in person. So the research continues with a final decision in January. Who should I choose Wong or Gabel...any thoughts out there?

Biz....

Dr. Wong performed my surgery August 14, 2012 and it was a wonderful experience. From my personal experience Joe is a great guy, very knowledgeable and helpful, but I would say e-mail is not one of Joe's strengths. I got many helpful and quick e-mail responses from Christina and Daria at Hasson/Wong. I don't know anything about Dr. Gabel, but if you decide on Hasson/Wong I think you would be very pleased.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 1 month later...

Just completed a consultation yesterday with Dr. Steven Gabel. We spent an hour in personal consultation discussing my situation. I was impressed with his professionalism and friendly demeanor. As I've been told in other consultations, Dr. Gabel felt my first procedure will likely yield 3000-3500 grafts.

Today I discussed cost and schedule with Dr. Gabel's patient consultant and we could actually move forward as early as February. Looking at the calendar and trying to figure out how much time to take off work, etc. I'm concerned about facial swelling and my appearance as I work in a high profile business environment. I'm thinking of a week and a half off but less is desirable. Dr. Gabel recommended at least week off. Any input on this topic is appreciated and will be extremely helpful.

• 11 months later...

Your results are amazing at 6 months, Id like to see your latest pictures.I also wore a system for about 9 years.After my 1st HT 6 years ago, I was able to ditch the piece. I know how satisfying that is.Im sure you are very happy.Dr. did great work

Scott

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Your 6 month results look nice. Would love to see an update as well. I've been impressed with Dr. Gabel's work.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Thanks all. Yes, I'm very happy with Dr. Gabel's work. I'm returning for a second procedure on February 24th. It's been one year since my first procedure. As Dr. Gabel always photographs before and after the procedure I'll post some updates then. His photos are far better than mine! Appreciate your interest and encouragement.

Did you go into the first one with the plan of having two procedures? Will this be to add density to the front and to address the crown?

Hi Since 21. Yes, the plan has always been to do two procedures. My hair loss is/was extensive as you can see in my profile pictures. The first procedure was to establish a front hairline and to begin to restore the mid-scalp. Procedure two will be to finish the mid-scalp and move toward the crown, with perhaps some further thickening in the front. Dr. Gabel has cautioned against trying to restore the crown as it takes a significant number of grafts to accomplish that. My total number of available donor grafts is 5000-6000 and we used over half of that in the first procedure. I'm ok with not restoring the crown and Dr. Gabel has been great at ensuring that I have realistic expectations. I'm thin on top but no longer bald and minoxidil has added some newgrowth to the crown. I'm excited about the results thus far and about losing the hair piece after 20 years!

Congrats on losing the hairpiece. Did you ever try meds before your HT? Propecia specifically. How do you feel about a second procedure? Not sure I could go through FUT again.

Biz..

I think your first procedure looks unbelievable considering what you were up against…with your degree of hair loss Dr Gabel did an incredible job…

Im sure your second procedure will be the icing on the cake…also, IF I were you I wouldn't even consider taking propecia..You looked pretty advanced…I don't think you get much regrowth from it…but Hey thats just my opinion..anyway your hair looks great!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I discussed the use of propecia with Dr. Gabel and ultimately I concluded that given my age (over 50) and extent of hair loss the risk/reward ratio just didn't make it worthwhile. I am using minoxidil and have had some very modest regrowth in the crown.

With regard to a second surgery, the first procedure was really not unpleasant so why not move ahead? The most painful part of the procedure was the injections of anesthesia and that was over with in a matter of seconds. The rest of the day went quickly as I listened to music and chatted with the surgery team. Had a great lunch, made a couple of phone calls, and we finished by dinner time. In terms of pain, Dr. Gabel had me begin taking ibuprofen during the procedure and throughout the evening. I never required anything stronger than that and slept reasonably well the first night.

The worst part of the entire experience was driving through Seattle and Portland traffic to get to Dr. Gabel's! I'm looking forward to the final result and the end of my 25 year journey to restore my hair. Freakin' stoked is probably a more accurate description!

Congrats on losing the hairpiece. Did you ever try meds before your HT? Propecia specifically. How do you feel about a second procedure? Not sure I could go through FUT again.

Did you find it that bad, why?

I just did my second one, first was easy really, second one was a total breeze.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

looking very good,thanks for the update

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture