HT without meds

Hi all.

I am just curious to see how many of you have had a HT without taking any Propecia/Finasteride. If you have done this, have you experienced more hair loss since your HT and if so are you now considering another HT?

I realise in an ideal world we should take the meds but they are no longer for me. Basically I am due to have an FUE HT with Dr. Bisanga in Feb-13 (approx. 2,000 grafts in the frontal third). I was on proscar for over a year and no longer wish to take it. I without question suffered from a lower libido and I don't want to mess with my hormones anymore. I continue to use rogaine liquid in the evening.

Out of interest anybody had success with Saw Palmetto?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped propecia several years ago because of the negative side effects .. I've planned my hair transplant based on that plan and just completed my last session 3 weeks ago .. You have to be willing to commit to multiple surgeries and remember there is only so much donor hair available so plan wisely

I have never taken any meds due to the side effects.

The only things i use are Alpecin shampoo, Perfectil hair skin and nails tables and occasionally use a low level handheld laser (debatable whether this works). These seem to have stabilized my hair loss and i don't seem to have had any more loss since my FUE 4 1/2 months ago.

If i start thinning more, i'll probably just book myself in for a second procedure to have dense packing in the thinning areas, as i have enough donor supply left for a second FUE

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have been in touch with a few clinics with the same question. They all pretty much responded with the same reply in that they advise the use of meds but plan their HTs on the assumption that clients do not use them or that they are not necessarily effective. This is somewhat positive in my view.

I realise that not taking them leaves me more suseptible to future loss. My crown area is still pretty strong but should I lose a significant amount in the future I am willing to address this with a further HT if required. I will not go back on finasteride as I dont believe its worth the risk.

Cheers again.

FUE is not a bottomless pit, which is why you need to carefully plan FUE sessions for the long hall and not leave yourself short too early.

That said, FUT is also not a never ending supply. You still only have the same amount of follicles in your scalp regardless of approach and there is only a certain amount of scalp you can chop out.

As long as you have enough FUE donor supply for the next 5-10 years, that should be plenty, as new techniques in hair cloning etc should be well under way by then.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

FUE is not a bottomless pit, which is why you need to carefully plan FUE sessions for the long hall and not leave yourself short too early.

That said, FUT is also not a never ending supply. You still only have the same amount of follicles in your scalp regardless of approach and there is only a certain amount of scalp you can chop out.

As long as you have enough FUE donor supply for the next 5-10 years, that should be plenty, as new techniques in hair cloning etc should be well under way by then.

Rob

Agreed . There will certainly be a viable alternative i would safely say at least to Finasteride now they have discovered the enzyme that actually causes the loss. I canned that poison also due to the sides and definitly wont go be going near it again.

This will surely be welcomed even if it dosent regrow hair but just prevents further loss.

This combined with the other technologies ongoing the landscape will be sure to be different in the next 5-10 years.

Just like the last 5-10 year have totally changed with the advent of FUE technique coming on leaps and bounds.

I think a HT without finasteride cant be dismissed anyway. Lots of older people have loss centralised in one frontal area and have decent hair in Zone 3/4. You see them on the street every day. Not everyone hits the highest norwood scales by any means even in later life.

Obviously not people of the higher Norwoods at a young age but people at a certain age (35+) by assessing their loss and minutarisation. I think a HT without finasteride is certainly a good option for them and they shouldnt rule it out.