Post Operation Hair loss (10 days after)

myjax

I have just had my FUT surgery but 10 days after surgery I'm being concerned by some kind of lost hairs in my scalp.

As you can see in the pictures there are some lines appearing on my scalp with no hair while a few days after surgery these lines did not exist.

I talked to my surgeon and he assured me that this phenomenon is normal and occurs for some patients.

I'm aware of the fact that soon after surgery I would lose all my new hair and I am aware of telogen phase and shock loss. But based on my limited research, I have not found any proof that this phase starts just a week after surgery. To the best of my knowledge, I shall expect to start losing my hair months after surgery.

Besides, I have not seen anyone reporting this problem.

I am really worried now and any advice would be much appreciated.

hair-1.jpg.2aa9e8e23daa738d027bd72ccda73bd9.jpg

hair-2.jpg.9a79e7e0a808a73c9f39377655512aa7.jpg

Jax,

Who performed the operation?

I've seen this "cracking" phenomenon before, and while I don't have a term for it, it does not appear like anything out of the ordinary. Frankly, I feel like it's probably just some early scabbing, and since the grafts should be anchored by day 7, I think I would trust your operating surgeon.

Take a deep breath and relax!

Hope this helps.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Future_HT_Doc for your prompt and encouraging,

It was done by Dr Vafa and I trust him, but these cracking lines (as described by you) are worrying. Especially as I have been unable to find anywhere in the web talking about them.

Any link shedding light to this issue is welcomed.

Hi Myjax

I'm at day 7 as I write, my pix and experiences on this site. 4800 grafts, strip.

I have noticed a similar pattern as I'm healing, not quite as pronounced as yours but definitely the same thing. All I think is happening is slightly uneven healing, that's all.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not worrying about mine.

I think the issue in this period is we just have to be passive and wait - the meantime whenever we look in the mirror what we see is strange, and worse than before the procedure. Perfect circumstances for paranoia to develop.

Hang in there.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

I might be wrong here but to me it just looks like the swelling had subsided in most parts, but not all.

As the scalp swelling decreases, the grafts go closer together. If you have areas where the swelling reduction is slower, the grafts remain slightly further apart.

If you look at pic 1, the grafts are evenly spaced out, if you look at pic 2, they are closer together apart from where the lines are.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Give it another few weeks and see how it is then

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Thanks Modenese for reply.

@s2thoudriver:

I really like your description and it does make sense. Thanks a lot. It was helpful.

By the way, I have started losing the transplanted hair after 10 days. The losing rate is higher than first week. I think it is normal, isn't it?

I have just had my FUT surgery but 10 days after surgery I'm being concerned by some kind of lost hairs in my scalp.

As you can see in the pictures there are some lines appearing on my scalp with no hair while a few days after surgery these lines did not exist.

I talked to my surgeon and he assured me that this phenomenon is normal and occurs for some patients.

I'm aware of the fact that soon after surgery I would lose all my new hair and I am aware of telogen phase and shock loss. But based on my limited research, I have not found any proof that this phase starts just a week after surgery. To the best of my knowledge, I shall expect to start losing my hair months after surgery.

Besides, I have not seen anyone reporting this problem.

I am really worried now and any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello Myjax,

Hang in there. Stress will not help the healing process. It is important to have your Dr. look at it and you should trust that he can asses the situation and help you through. It is rare, but it does happen at times, we all have different reaction to surgery. Just make sure you do not let it go unseen and make sure to follow through with treatments. Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum