My advice: tell your closest friends who you trust about your HT

In 3 days it will be one month since my surgery with Dr. Feller. I had 2000 grafts on the hairline which is absolutely impossible to conceal. Obviously like everyone else who goes through it, I wear a hat when I absolutely HAVE to go out. This living under a hat I find very claustrophobic and I hate having to go anywhere.

Fortunately I have 5 or 6 friends that I trust and I didn't want to just slip off the radar with them or suddenly start wearing hats every time I saw them. So I told them and it's liberating to be able to keep up a social life with them in these early post HT days. I take the hat off freely around them, they didn't even care the first time and still don't even batter an eye lid. Obviously clubbing and sports are out of the equation but we go out to quiet pubs (or someone's house for beers etc) where I'm not likely to see anyone else I know, and I take the hat off when we get to quieter places. It's great. I couldn't imagine going crazy inside not seeing anyone or having that hat on permanently around EVERYONE.

I suppose the best advice would be to make no secret to anyone and go out freely without a hat, but for most of us that's definitely not an option! But telling close friends has certainly worked out great for me...I'd definitely recommend it :)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Yeah they are awesome. Wouldn't dream of telling most people I know, but there's a select few that I had no problem letting them know. Hat off, beer in hand, relaxation!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

I wish I had the balls you have. Ever since my first HT I haven't been around my friends without a hat on. I admit it, it does suck. I am having another HT in a couple months with one of the best docs. The funny thing is that I've been wearing a hat so long around them that even if my next HT looks good I'll probably still wear a hat around them.

Seriously just tell your best friends about it, the ones you see most of the time. I wouldn't tell the people I see once a week for football or people I see down the pub, but for the true best friends it is much better getting it off your chest. The good thing about men is that we really don't give a - ... they had a quick look when I took my hat off the first time and haven't looked since. Freedom :)

I told my best friend about a week and a half after surgery. I had told him 2 years ago when I started looking into it that I was thinking about it, but kind of dropped it.

He just got married and we hadn't been spending much time together. He called me to go fishing that next weekend. I said I would but we would have to go at sun up and I could only stay til about 10 am, and then just told him I had the HT and couldn't expose it to sun and didn't want to be in any extreme temps.

He didn't bat an eye either. Really good friends don't judge you. I guess that is just something you learn as you age.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm going to be getting a HT soon and I told my family, girl and some friends. I figured, "I'm going to have to tell them eventually, why not now?"

They know not to say anything to other people until I'm ready, too.

Either way, I agree. It is great. People are going to know I got a HT anyway, and like you said, it is good to tell the people close to you, that you see all the time.

I work from home so I'm going to do the hat thing and play a lot of video games ... Halo 4 is coming out, Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 6 ... Plus winter is around the corner.

Happy for you pal. I'd get destroyed by my closest mates if I tried that lol.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk