norwood 6 wanting hair transplant from Australia

Hi everyone,

Ive been researching the forum for some time now and ive just become a member, love the site.

i would like advice from Aussies on hair transplant as i live in Australia..

i have two appointments this Wed, one with Dr Martinick and the other with Dr Knudsen

Ive already done a online assesment with Hasson and Wong, the advice given was that i needed 4000-4500 grafts with a posibility of a second operation in the future for my crown.

i would like to know about experiences with the Aussie Doctors, or any recommended doctors closer than Canada or USA..

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi jonnny1976,

you will find that all the aussies here including me will tell you dont even waste time in australia..

H&W and Rahal are very good you cant go wrong there, i chose a little closer home Dr. Path of Thailand (4000 grafts 12 months ago) although i seriously considered the Canadians..

Unfortunately aussie clinics cant handle small sessions let alone a relatively larger session you are after.

Any questions let me know and best of luck mate!!

Yea that seems to be what everyone is saying...Dr Path looks good, didn't know who he was at first lol. But once I figured it out I realised I'd already researched him. Just deciding either traveling to Canada or closer to Dr Path. How do they compare?? Hasson and Wong look very impressive from the before and after pics, but also very expensive. Any more advice on Dr Path would be muchly appreciated.

STAY AWAY from the Australian hair transplant surgeons. Hasson and Wong, Rahal, Feller, True and Dorin, Gabel etc are who you should look at. Don't let cost or location affect your decision of a lifelong(and lifechanging) procedure.

Hi jonnny1976, I posted a similar question few days ago (i would recommend checking my post out)and got similar responses. In my experience of asking around, clinics in Aus advised me a max of 2500 grafts and further doing my research, overseas is almost half the cost including the travel!!...Good luck..:)

Dear Jonny

The only decent transplant surgeon in Australia is Dr Martinick. Very professional and staff extremely helpful. I had a procedure 18 months ago , 3500 grafts and am thrilled with the density and also how natural it looks. Have had follow ups with Dr Martinick who I have found to be very kind and genuinely sincere in her advise. All the surgeons mentioned above are also good from my research but I did not want to travel overseas just in case there was a problem. Dr Martinick also offers a warranty all of which convinced me to get it done by her. Good luck in making your decision ...oh and by the way Knudson is definitely a no no. Very arrogant and has his staff do the work.

Ok kool, I'm very nervous got my appointments with both today....Dr Path has given me an online assessment he mentioned that my donor area wasn't good, and that I needed over 4000 grafts for best result but thinks he may only be able to harvest 3000 at best. Little bit disappointed and worried about my donor area not being dense enough....!!

Don't worry as I had the same problem but Dr Martinick is able to do something called DFU where she enhances density by doing double follicles. Honestly she has been terrific and is the only one that was able to convince me to go ahead. Dr Path is good but because of his staff is limited in what he can do.He does not do doubles and once again his staff do most of the work. I don't think you would be disappointed with him but you would not get the density Dr Martinick can achieve.

Don't worry as I had the same problem but Dr Martinick is able to do something called DFU where she enhances density by doing double follicles. Honestly she has been terrific and is the only one that was able to convince me to go ahead. Dr Path is good but because of his staff is limited in what he can do.He does not do doubles and once again his staff do most of the work. I don't think you would be disappointed with him but you would not get the density Dr Martinick can achieve.

Haha! Tom139, could you make it anymore obvious that you are Dr. Martinick herself or one of her associates?

Johnny please don't be fooled by what Tom is telling you.

Just let me tell you now that you've been warned be myself and others on here. You are playing russian roulette if you have surgery here in Australia. The risk isn't worth it.

Go to Canada/US if you are serious about achieving a good result. Check out my blog and you'll see the results I had with Dr Rahal.

This may sound naive but Tom weren't you a Norwood 4. I assume you would of had a larger donor area.....! Thanx Dream big my only concern is that I travel all the way to Canada and then get told my donor area is useless. I will try and post some pics for opinions. Cheers

Dear Jonny

Ignore all the negativity . I am more than happy to show my pics .Yes I was a Norwood 4 but still had enough thin hair to cleverly hide problem. Combination of an HT and Finasteride has worked for me.

Mate , seriously you are an idiot. Not only am I not Dr Martinick but all I am trying to do is to share my experiences and all the home work I have done with people it might help. I have spent many years researching and although I am sure the doctor you are promoting is good , so are others and ,yes, some even in Austaralia. Grow up and stop being so narrow minded.

Hmmm what a day.....Long and short of it i went to see Dr Martinick and Dr Knudsen today two very different experiences. Didnt see Dr Martinick but rather a sales guy who coincidentally seemed to know what i was thinking, it was almost like deja vu. lol He gave me a idea of what it would cost.

On the other hand Dr Knudsen was straight to the point, gave me a presciption for Propecia. The quote was less than Dr Martinick and he seemed more realistic. Dr Knudsen also wrote down the figure and gave it to me...but here is the thing when asked about Dr Path he said that he and Dr Path new each other, that Dr Path was a great surgeon and that the only down fall was that he was overseas....!!!!

Hi Jonnnny1976,

Had a hair transplant with Dr Knudsen about 2 months ago. Procedure was 1400 grafts in the temple area. Only early days yet, but so far has been a very positive experience.

As has been stated before, during initial consultation I felt very comfortable with Dr Knudsen's manner and professionalism. I did plenty of my own research and study before seeing him and his advice sat very comfortably with me.

I felt very good about how things went on the day of surgery. Dr Knudsen and his staff very professional, but also made you feel as relaxed as possible during a pretty anxious time. I also felt well informed during the procedure.

As mentioned it's only early days yet, but so far the donor scar is completely invisible under my hair after my first haircut and already quite hard for my wife to find when she lifts up my hair. A reasonable number of the transplanted hairs have not fallen out and kept growing since the procedure. Time will tell how well he did at restoring my hairline, but judging by the fading pink recipient area and how dense the initial transplant hairs seemed, I'm feeling pretty optimistic.

Might post up some photos in the coming months, but hadn't actually intended to even post about this topic.

Good luck

I would research long and hard before pulling the trigger. Australian hair transplant surgeons are not great, especially compared to the likes of Rahal, H&W, Arocha, Lorenzo etc. Chances are it will be cheaper to have you surgery abroad too due to the fact that they charge less per graft than their Australian rivals.

I'm from the UK and we have a poor reputation for HT's, it seems Australia does too.

This forum had overwhelming evidence to suggest that going abroad would be in my best interests for surgery. It seems to be that this is also the case for you.

It is risky to go against the advice of the masses. You have one person in your threads advocating Australian doctors, whilst the rest advise you to look elsewhere. Google the name of your doctor and put "reviews" at the end and see what comes up. Not much? Bad? Good? Then research the top doctors recommended here and decide for yourself.

Don't let travelling put you off. I flew from UK to USA in July and it was a great experience and I anticipate getting a much better result than I could have hoped for here. It was only 800 more for the flight and hotel too, so worth saving extra for.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I'm from the UK and we have a poor reputation for HT's, it seems Australia does too.

This forum had overwhelming evidence to suggest that going abroad would be in my best interests for surgery. It seems to be that this is also the case for you.

It is risky to go against the advice of the masses. You have one person in your threads advocating Australian doctors, whilst the rest advise you to look elsewhere. Google the name of your doctor and put "reviews" at the end and see what comes up. Not much? Bad? Good? Then research the top doctors recommended here and decide for yourself.

Don't let travelling put you off. I flew from UK to USA in July and it was a great experience and I anticipate getting a much better result than I could have hoped for here. It was only 800 more for the flight and hotel too, so worth saving extra for.

Indeed. The quality alone would be worth paying extra for. The fact that it will most likely run you the same cost for the same grafts due to the good Australian dollar to the US/Canadian is icing on the cake.

Best advise I can give people in Austarlia is visit various different clinics , speak to existing patients and view results and then make up your minds. There is good and bad in all countries . View my results and see what you think.

Actually, I'd stay away from any of the surgeons in America & Canada if you're serious about getting a good result... lol, check-out MY BLOG.. I can't believe other bloggers are trying to "help you" by trying to scare you and WARN YOU like your a little kid.

Listen to what people say, but in the end, just go with common sense and make a decision based on facts, not hear say. Australia has a medical board that Australian's can call up to find out if a Dr is dodgey. Martinick's been doing hair transplants for years, so if she's done anything wrong, you can find out that way.

Just let me tell you now that you've been warned... heehehee.. and YES, I'll run to Dr Martinick's defence any day, the hair transplant she did for me changed my life and it's probably one of the few things I've done in my life I've never looked back on.

shill much?? lol.. u must be old.

maybe thats why you forgot what this thread was about.

probably explains why you're a 'senior' member..

this place is overrun by people just out to give each other a hard time.

this forum was good once...

Edited by Unregistered