Your Advice Plz - HT in Aus V/s Overseas

Mystique

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and frankly I can't tell you enough how happy I am to discover this forum!. I had all but given up on my hair problem, and to be honest was so traumatised everytime i had to meet someone i have'nt seen in 1-2 years or uploading photos on FB or emailing someone with my fotos-confidence is @ an all time low-any wayz enough about me.

I've checked out several HT clinics in Melbourne and had virtual consultation with some in sydney/perth. All seem to be of the common consensus that i would require about 3000 grafts. Their prices vary from surgeon/clinic to s/Clinic.

My questions are :-Am i right in thinking that these clinics are only equipped to handle about 3k grafts only?

Whilst doing research on HT overseas, I came across India and thailand (Dr bhatti - India) (Dr Path-bangkok & Dr laorwong-phuket, thailand) and i somehow get the impression they can do larger amts of grafts. Is there a known limit that the body can handle?

-Also price, i notice that the India & thailand ones are much cheaper compared to those in Aus, Can any one provide reviews of those surgeons mentioned above?

-Whilst i am aware that you only get what you pay for, i am not the richest-going around and $$ is obviously a concern-any advice from you would be valued.

Cheerio n Adios

:)

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Mystique,

I highly recommend reviewing our list of recommended hair restoration physicians here along with the criteria we use to screen them.

Dr. Pathomvanich is a highly esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent hair restoration physicians.

In India we recommend both Dr. Pathuri Madhu and Dr. Radha Palakurthi.

A fundamental rule of hair transplant surgery is not to allow cost and proximity rule your decision. But, you can find world class services at competitive prices in many areas around the world. Be sure to check out the many other clinics we recommend around the world.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Don't even bother with clinic's in Australia. I went to Dr Path in Thailand and the price although was half of what I was quoted in Australia the quality was much better. Don't let location be a deciding factor or else you will surely regret it in the end.

A Melbourne clinic did a consultation with me and said I could only get around 2500 grafts and that will only cover till about half way on the mid scalp. In the end I got over 3800 grafts and only have a small patch on my crown that is noticable.

But if price is also a deciding factor, the whole procedure in Thailand plus airfare and 5 star acommodation (for 2 people) was about $5KAUD less than what I was quoted by the clinic in Melbourne. Plus I had an absolute blast in Bangkok!!!!

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and frankly I can't tell you enough how happy I am to discover this forum!. I had all but given up on my hair problem, and to be honest was so traumatised everytime i had to meet someone i have'nt seen in 1-2 years or uploading photos on FB or emailing someone with my fotos-confidence is @ an all time low-any wayz enough about me.

I've checked out several HT clinics in Melbourne and had virtual consultation with some in sydney/perth. All seem to be of the common consensus that i would require about 3000 grafts. Their prices vary from surgeon/clinic to s/Clinic.

My questions are :-Am i right in thinking that these clinics are only equipped to handle about 3k grafts only?

Whilst doing research on HT overseas, I came across India and thailand (Dr bhatti - India) (Dr Path-bangkok & Dr laorwong-phuket, thailand) and i somehow get the impression they can do larger amts of grafts. Is there a known limit that the body can handle?

-Also price, i notice that the India & thailand ones are much cheaper compared to those in Aus, Can any one provide reviews of those surgeons mentioned above?

-Whilst i am aware that you only get what you pay for, i am not the richest-going around and $$ is obviously a concern-any advice from you would be valued.

Cheerio n Adios

:)

Hey buddy,

I share the exact same pain as you. My confidence from hairloss is so shattered that I honestly think about it over 100 times a day. Whenever I see somebody that I havent seen in a while i always just wait for that comment "your losing your hair" or "your going bald". The main reason it effects me so badly is because a haidresser burnt my hair, so i went from normal thick hair to looking 10 years older overnight lol.

I have been on this forum a few months now researching and i would strongly advise you seek a surgeon recommended on this forum. Assuming your still young like me (im 23), research the techniques and what would benefit you most (fue or fut). I personally prefer the FUE method due to the fact I like my hair shorter on the sides.

Dr path in thailand has shown some great results, i have never seen any negative results but the unfortunate thing is i am pretty sure he only does strip surgery.

MoeyK...M8-I hear you and know exactly how u feel....:) Sorry 2 hear about the hair dresser incident-Chin up buddy-research on this forum, bouncing ideas and advise from others + a bit of luck will surely help us beat this, hopefully (no)hair 2day bcomes hair 2morow!...Good luck and thanks for posting on my question...

Hi,

I had a HT with DHT Clinic in 2010 and I can recommend them to you and they charge $2.80US per graft. Dr laorwong from Absolute Hair Clinic trained with Doctor Pathomvanich a few years ago and I've he is good but I haven't seen that many results.

India is a lot harder to get to than Thailand and you might want to consider this as well. With the high aussie dollar you might also want to consider surgeons in the US. I think Doctor Charles charges $3US per graft.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

Mystique;

Some very good advice here so far, and i will add that you should not waste any more time looking at aussie clinics as they are simply no good.

I had Dr. Path perform my HT 12 months ago, i could not be any happier with the good doc, his team and the outcome. Staying a week in BK was heaps of fun too..

If you have any questions let me know.

Best of luck!!!

Mate , on price all the advise is absolutely right. However, check out Dr Martinick in Perth or Sydney as I had a procedure from her 18 months ago of 3500 grafts and am thrilled with the results. I got a warranty and would recommend her. I know the above surgeons are cheaper but spend your money once and get it done properly.

Tom139;

I am happy to hear of your successful HT with Dr Martinick. I would love to see some befores and afters as i am very keen to see her work as i have never seen any, if you can post it would be great.

Cheers

JF

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

These look like images taken straight from the clinic's website. Do you have any affiliation with Dr. Martinick besides that of a happy patient?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

So did you have 3000 or 3500 grafts then, because you mention both numbers.

Also do you have any good pictures? And what does this "warranty" involve? It's not like you can regenerate grafts if they don't grow, you can only tap into more of the scarce donor supply.

Paid for 3000 but got 3500. Dr Martinick apparently never charges for more than the quoted amount even if she is able to get more on the day of surgery.Warranty assures the result and any failure means second procedure free. Not really concerned about it as happy with result. Also I think my pictures show exactly how/ successful my ht was. I have no others.

Dr. Meshkin visited Dr. Knudsen's clinic in sydney australia and he was very impressed with his technique. Dr. Knudsen is very highly qualified, highly respected and very active doctor in the hair transplant community. I think he may have a satellite office in Melbourne as well. You may want to give him a visit.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

Hi jollyfolly.

Can you please tell me if you have heard about dr pong? I do like dr path but I'm not sure if he is the one who is doing the transplant. Looks like he is very busy.

Thanks mate

W

Gday mate;

Dr Path is very busy, which shows he is good. He does all the harvesting and also bit of planting as well, and he is in the surgery majority of the time.

I dont know too much about Dr Pong but i believe he was trained by Dr Path so thats a good thing. He is not recommended on this forum as yet but i have read some nice things from posters who had HTs with him.

Best to research him or consult with him or if you are not 100% comfortable book with Dr Path and wait or maybe see if he can place you on stand by in case he has a cancellation.

Best of luck mate!!