Is there any reason not to keep getting FUT's until I have exhausted all of my donors

I have 82 follicles per square centimeter. I had one FUT where they removed 2764 follicles.

Is there any reason not to keep getting FUT's until I have exhausted all of my donors? Obviously cost is one reason, but any other reason?

Not that I can think of. Most people go that route, unless for some reason they feel they want to go FUE, but usually once you already started with FUT it makes sense to continue down that road. Also with FUT you are maximizing the amount of grafts you can harvest in the long run.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Is there any reason not to keep getting FUT's

There are a couple of reasons based on your scar but ultimately they are trumped by a bigger card - your willingness to go strip in the first place, and the fact that it didn't seem to end badly for you.

Scars which are re-opened tend to heal less well (wider, less flat, inconsistent coloration) because there is less laxity and more scar tissue. Many will bob up and say their scars didn't heal wider, (some will say their scars actually improved) but many a time a clinic will say "no guarantees, especially on the second/third time", so that should tell u something.

Your density of 82cm/will go down as the skin is stretched to cover the same acreage, making scar camouflage a little more difficult, but chances are you will be fine - once again, you've taken the plunge with strip and are presumably happy enough with it.

I would caution about the lengthening of your scars into the temple region, but that gamble may pay off too, if you get the results.

Hi Scar 5,

82cm/will go down as the skin is stretched/QUOTE]

You are the first person to acknowledge that the graft count goes down the more times a person has a hair transplant. Initially, my graft count was 108cm and I expected this same level of density for the second surgery. I was a bit disappointed that my density reduced to 66cm for my surgery. I am pretty happy with the subsequent scar which is virtually pencil thin.

Also my scalp is getting a bit tight and its been recommended by my surgeon not to have anymore surgeries due to this and my low density. I'm maxxed out regarding FUT at a little under 6000 grafts.

Cheers Rod

The biggest reason is that if you exhaust all your donors and have further hair loss theres nothing left to fill in the gaps. I could go for a third HT. Im 58. had two Hts. One left if I want, I reckon. In the back of my mind I would like the last one in reserve. So, answer is depends on your age and expected level of hair loss (if we ever know what that might be).

cheers

Sunny

Hi Scar 5,

82cm/will go down as the skin is stretched/QUOTE]

You are the first person to acknowledge that the graft count goes down the more times a person has a hair transplant. Initially, my graft count was 108cm and I expected this same level of density for the second surgery. I was a bit disappointed that my density reduced to 66cm for my surgery. I am pretty happy with the subsequent scar which is virtually pencil thin.

Also my scalp is getting a bit tight and its been recommended by my surgeon not to have anymore surgeries due to this and my low density. I'm maxxed out regarding FUT at a little under 6000 grafts.

Cheers Rod

You must have had poor laxity. 6000 is pretty low these days.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Spanker,

33cm strip taken from my donor area and I had 2075 grafts to use. 800 grafts were singles which are great for the hairline but not much else. Yes I do have a relatively tight scalp but the main issue is that my density has substantially reduced.

Regards Rod