Advice Needed/ Appreciated!

reverse

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my story/ post. I am here to ask for advice, educate myself and certainly hoping to receive some recommendations.

I am 29 yrs old. It seems I began balding some years ago but much more noticably within the last two years or so. I find myself thinking about it very often (understatement). Sure, I know there are other things in life more important and I shouldn't let it overwhelm me.... nevermind, who am I kidding, I borderline obssess about this all the time. I'm always in the mirror and when I'm not wearing a hat, always look at peoples eyes to look up there and can tell some just don't say anything, but then, there's your a$$hole friends who have to make a comment and I quite dislike that. I am also in sales and it's hurtin my confidence a bit, and other areas of my life.

I am currently only using Rogaine Foam and Nizoral. No more Propecia for me. I am one of those people who have been severly, negatively affected by it. Please, I don't want to start that arguement/ debate in this thread. I know myself and my body and there has been a major change coinciding with the time I used the drug. But, let's just not go there.

So anyway, now that I've probably lost half the people who opened this thread, I would just like some info about the other products available and what your experiences are with them. I never knew there were so many until just the last few days!

So, now I'm lost with all the choices/ options of products!

It seems some information websites/ forums really push the use of Nizoral. Does this product work as well as those claims? I use it every shower (the whole time), 3-4 times per week. Could it help to fill the void of not using Propecia somewhat?

Can Rogaine work without Propecia, but with Nizoral?

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think I could add to my 2-product regimine. Also, do you think it would be more, or less noticable if it was cut shorter? I'm just scared if I do, it will look so much more thin and all that will be seen is scalp.

Does it look as if I had a sudden Rogaine shed from the pictures dated 7/5 compared to the pictures dated 6/30? Or is it something else or just me...

Are there other products that have a similar effect of Propecia that don't screw with my body? That I can use in place of it? What about Revivogen, Crinagen, folligen? Can they pick up the slack of not using Propecia? <--Main Question

Many thanks!

top-merged.jpg.4e312add320e8941e0ac42bab29cd176.jpg

front-no-flash.jpg.ed9958259f0aca72eeb4d1880f0d4cba.jpg

top-brushed-merged.jpg.6f5dddf99e3930b4512cd24524be88f1.jpg

2_brushed.jpg.b4c7279398d56ed544a0a80acd2841c1.jpg

Are there other products that have a similar effect of Propecia that don't screw with my body? That I can use in place of it? What about Revivogen, Crinagen, folligen? Can they pick up the slack of not using Propecia? <--Main Question

]

Of course, Rogaine can work without Propecia. It's just not as effective as a stand alone treatment. The Nizoral should have no effect on the Rogaine. Use the Nizoral 3 times a week max but don't expect it to regrow hair. It's simply a good shampoo that works well with dandruff.

All of the other products you mentioned will not make up for not taking Finasteride. In fact, they really don't work at all. If you are really serious about keeping your hair, try half-doses of Fin for awhile to see if your body can adapt without the sides. Your thinning looks diffuse which complicates matters as well. You are looking at NW6 within a couple years if you don't give Fin one more shot.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

All of the other products you mentioned will not make up for not taking Finasteride. In fact, they really don't work at all.

Ouch.

If you are really serious about keeping your hair, try half-doses of Fin for awhile to see if your body can adapt without the sides.

Ok, here's the deal with that. Honestly, the sides (libido issue) have not gone away. I have been off Propecia for 8 months even. It's possible they have gotten moderately better, but I can't say for sure. If I start Propecia again, do you THINK (best guess) that the low libido I am dealing with now will just stay as is now without getting even worse from re-starting?????

I mean, if the sides are gonna stay either way, might as well. So long as I don't risk becoming completely useless in that department and get even worse as a result of re-starting Propecia. As of now, it takes some work to get things going and I don't really desire it if it's right in front of me (even to the same girl I've been nuts about since before all this). The best way I can describe it is, you know how (for most men anyway), as soon as you finish (ejaculate), you basically have no interest... that's the libido moment I am stuck in.

Your thinning looks diffuse which complicates matters as well.

Could you elaborate? Sorry to sound incompetent...

You are looking at NW6 within a couple years if you don't give Fin one more shot.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, sorry to get all fatalistic on you bro. Sides do come up now and then with Fin but if you are still experiencing them after being off the drug then it could possibly be due to something else. But if you are convinced Fin is not for you then keep up with the Rogaine and Nizoral. They just aren't as effective but you could still see some marginal benefits.

If I were you I would consult with a couple HT surgeons and get a miniaturization test done. You may or may not be a candidate for hair transplantation, but it would be good for you to find out.

A buzz cut may not look too bad on you. Have you tried that? You could also look into concealer's like dermmatch, course, toppik, or nanogen. But there is a learning curve in applying them.

The best thing you could do now is shave it all off and say to hell with it. But if you are up for a lifelong battle then be prepared. It's a long road.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Diffuse thinning is a somewhat unpatterned miniaturization of the hair follicles. It's more unpredictable than with regular MPB and can complicate HT's or disqualify you from getting one altogether - especially if the diffuse thinning is present in the donor region.

First off, let me say thank you for taking so much time to help a stranger out!!!! And, sorry for the excessive multi-follow up questions

Yeah, sorry to get all fatalistic on you bro.

It's ok man, I'd rather the honest advice and info.

Sides do come up now and then with Fin but if you are still experiencing them after being off the drug then it could possibly be due to something else. But if you are convinced Fin is not for you then keep up with the Rogaine and Nizoral. They just aren't as effective but you could still see some marginal benefits.

Like I was saying, I just can't say for sure. But, the timeline screams that it was result of Propecia. I really want to jump back on and see if (hopefully) things at least stay the same. I'm just terrified that going back on will push me over the edge to be useless in the bedroom. I do have a girlfriend and it's becoming an issue and I don't think she quite understands...

If I were you I would consult with a couple HT surgeons and get a miniaturization test done. You may or may not be a candidate for hair transplantation, but it would be good for you to find out.

For sure would be good to find out! Do you know of somewhere that I can search for reputable doctors? Or can you (or someone) recommend for Central Florida?

A buzz cut may not look too bad on you. Have you tried that? You could also look into concealer's like dermmatch, course, toppik, or nanogen. But there is a learning curve in applying them.

Buzz cut huh? Never went there... Not sure I have the facial figure for it. Does a buzz cut make the thinning less noticeable?

The best thing you could do now is shave it all off and say to hell with it. But if you are up for a lifelong battle then be prepared. It's a long road.

I'm up for the fight. And advice like yours, points me in the right direction. I can't thank you enough!

Nizoral works great with Rogaine. It provides a nice clean scalp for the Rogaine to penetrate, and there is some evidence that Nizoral blocks DHT on the scalp.

Propecia is the best weapon against hair loss. I'm sorry to hear you can't take it because of side effects.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Take some vitamins daily that is all you need.. that is what I can recommend

Vitamins are good but won't stop your hair from falling out.

There are some that claim that they suffer from permanent sexual side effects even after stopping Propecia. These cases may or may not be psychosomatic - impossible to know for sure. But it is a loud minority that has transformed into a large amount of fear-mongering in certain media outlets (CNN, Men's Health, etc.).

I personally felt some slight pain in the testicular region for a couple of weeks when I started it but it went away and I've been on it for over 6 years now with no noticeable sides. It's been a life (hair) saver. No doubt I'd be a NW6 by now. But everyone is different and it might not be same experience for you.

I would talk to a doctor about Propecia and your prior experience on it. Check out the doctor's recommended on this site for a consultation. Dr. Glenn Charles, Dr. Nusbam, Dr. Paul Rose, Dr. Meija are all in the Florida area.

If you start to consider hair transplantation then you should also look into the clinics that specialize in mega-sessions such as Dr. Rahal and Hasson&Wong up in the Canada. Don't let the distance deter you from looking into them. They are both on a role with patients with extensive loss such as yourself. I'm also partial to Shapiro Medical up in Minnesota. They've definitely turned my situation around for the better.

Just don't jump in the chair without doing your research. Consider checking out Spex's info program (Maximum Hair I think it's called) which would get you up to speed information-wise. Knowledge is power.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my story/ post. I am here to ask for advice, educate myself and certainly hoping to receive some recommendations.

I am 29 yrs old. It seems I began balding some years ago but much more noticably within the last two years or so. I find myself thinking about it very often (understatement). Sure, I know there are other things in life more important and I shouldn't let it overwhelm me.... nevermind, who am I kidding, I borderline obssess about this all the time. I'm always in the mirror and when I'm not wearing a hat, always look at peoples eyes to look up there and can tell some just don't say anything, but then, there's your a$$hole friends who have to make a comment and I quite dislike that. I am also in sales and it's hurtin my confidence a bit, and other areas of my life.

I am currently only using Rogaine Foam and Nizoral. No more Propecia for me. I am one of those people who have been severly, negatively affected by it. Please, I don't want to start that arguement/ debate in this thread. I know myself and my body and there has been a major change coinciding with the time I used the drug. But, let's just not go there.

So anyway, now that I've probably lost half the people who opened this thread, I would just like some info about the other products available and what your experiences are with them. I never knew there were so many until just the last few days!

So, now I'm lost with all the choices/ options of products!

It seems some information websites/ forums really push the use of Nizoral. Does this product work as well as those claims? I use it every shower (the whole time), 3-4 times per week. Could it help to fill the void of not using Propecia somewhat?

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think I could add to my 2-product regimine. Also, do you think it would be more, or less noticable if it was cut shorter? I'm just scared if I do, it will look so much more thin and all that will be seen is scalp.

Does it look as if I had a sudden Rogaine shed from the pictures dated 7/5 compared to the pictures dated 6/30? Or is it something else or just me...

Many thanks!

Hello Mate,

Understand your concern none of us like losing our hair. The comb forward in your pic makes it difficult to judge the thickness of the hair. When it comes to medical treatments Propecia and Minoxidal are the FDA approved medical treatments. Many of the doctors, like Dr. Mohebi will give you an online consult. I always suggest consulting with an HTN recommended physician. All the Best, Michael

Edited by michaeljames
misspell

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 5 weeks later...
Take some vitamins daily that is all you need.. that is what I can recommend

Hey Mates!

Vitamins can only be of benefit if the hair loss is directly related under nourishment or malnourishment or a particular Vitamin deficiency. There is no clinical evidence that vitamins can effectively stop or reverse the adverse effects of DHT the root of androgenetic alopecia or Male Pattern Baldness [MPB]. The type of hair loss that effects most men in their lifetime. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

There are some that claim that they suffer from permanent sexual side effects even after stopping Propecia. These cases may or may not be psychosomatic - impossible to know for sure. But it is a loud minority that has transformed into a large amount of fear-mongering in certain media outlets (CNN, Men's Health, etc.).

I know it seems like an unrealistic claim. I also know that it can be psychosomatic in nature. But, other things present in my case seem to validate it as a physical issue. The decrease in semen upon ejaculating couldn't be in my head right. Things like that....

I personally felt some slight pain in the testicular region for a couple of weeks when I started it but it went away and I've been on it for over 6 years now with no noticeable sides. It's been a life (hair) saver. No doubt I'd be a NW6 by now. But everyone is different and it might not be same experience for you.

I definitely remember the uncomfortable feeling in the testicle area. That does seem to be one thing that subsided.

I would talk to a doctor about Propecia and your prior experience on it. Check out the doctor's recommended on this site for a consultation. Dr. Glenn Charles, Dr. Nusbam, Dr. Paul Rose, Dr. Meija are all in the Florida area.

Yeah, I've been having trouble choosing a type of doctor and specific doctor. I wish someone had a recommendation. I would just like someone who is aware to this issue and has an open mind and doesn't dismiss me right off the bat. I will definitely look into the doctors you mentioned though. Hope they are somewhat close by to me.

If you start to consider hair transplantation then you should also look into the clinics that specialize in mega-sessions such as Dr. Rahal and Hasson&Wong up in the Canada. Don't let the distance deter you from looking into them. They are both on a role with patients with extensive loss such as yourself. I'm also partial to Shapiro Medical up in Minnesota. They've definitely turned my situation around for the better.

I would definitely consider a HT. Don't know how I would pull it off financially but could be done. And yes, I would definitely be willing to travel to work with a good doc with a good track record.

Just don't jump in the chair without doing your research. Consider checking out Spex's info program (Maximum Hair I think it's called) which would get you up to speed information-wise. Knowledge is power.

I couldn't find any information on Spex's info program, Maximum hair. What is that? Could you point me in the right direction for more info?

Thanks so much! You're the man for taking all this time to help me out!!

Buzz cut and 3/4 days a week in the gym is my prescription.

I wish I had the 'head' for a buzz cut but I fear I'd look a right bell-end! I don't have the skin or facial features to pull it off!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day