Miniaturisation question?

I'm a little confused on how miniaturisation works. I have straight blonde hair, that is non-balding. I hope. Typical to blonde hair, my hair is fine, but there is a lot of it so it appears to be thick. I get the impression that my hairline is around the Norwood 1.5 area, as there is no thinning, but it angles slightly into a slight 'V' shape. I'm 22 years old.

I have an irritated scalp, and my GP has prescribed me a few different medications to attempt to remedy the scalp issue. I've been given Cocois scalp ointment, generic Nizoral; ketopine, and I myself have tried Polytar. As of yet, nothing has worked, and I find myself scratching my head and finding scab-like flakes towards the crown and back of my head. Since I'm scratching a lot, I see hairs falling. I also see hairs on my hands when shampooing, and when applying hair product. I see maybe 5-10 when showering, 5-10 when applying product, and maybe 4-6 when I scratch my head, though this isn't each time. It might be the first time I scratch, but afterwards throughout the day it might only be a couple. I know you can lose up to 150 hairs a day, but am wondering whether this seems like an excessive amount?

Anyway, onto my miniaturisation question. Recently, I've started examining the hairs I find and seeing if any appear thinner than normal. Occasionally I find white, wavy hair strands that are very thin, but I don't know whether these are synthetic, or even dog hairs (from my Shih-Tzu) as my hair isn't wavy at all. I also can find short, thick dark hairs, which again don't fit into my hair texture/colour. Do these sound like miniaturising hairs? My hair doesn't appear to be thinning or anything, but these hairs I am seeing are making me concerned. Again.

Sorry for such a long question. I posted this on BaldingBlog as well, which is why it probably sounds so formal.

I webcam-med some pics of my hair, these are from about two weeks ago. Not really looking for a 'review' of the pics... just an update I guess. My scalp has been a lot itchier recently, and feels like it's burning sometimes. I do not like the look of my hairline though, I feel it's shape is too much of a 'V', but I think I'm looking for perfection i.e. a juvenile hairline.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/jonnykino/june%202012/hairiirrr.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/jonnykino/june%202012/hairrrr2.jpg

Thanks.

Johnnykino, your hair is perfect. I see no problems from any angle.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm a little confused on how miniaturisation works. I have straight blonde hair, that is non-balding. I hope. Typical to blonde hair, my hair is fine, but there is a lot of it so it appears to be thick. I get the impression that my hairline is around the Norwood 1.5 area, as there is no thinning, but it angles slightly into a slight 'V' shape. I'm 22 years old.

I have an irritated scalp, and my GP has prescribed me a few different medications to attempt to remedy the scalp issue. I've been given Cocois scalp ointment, generic Nizoral; ketopine, and I myself have tried Polytar. As of yet, nothing has worked, and I find myself scratching my head and finding scab-like flakes towards the crown and back of my head. Since I'm scratching a lot, I see hairs falling. I also see hairs on my hands when shampooing, and when applying hair product. I see maybe 5-10 when showering, 5-10 when applying product, and maybe 4-6 when I scratch my head, though this isn't each time. It might be the first time I scratch, but afterwards throughout the day it might only be a couple. I know you can lose up to 150 hairs a day, but am wondering whether this seems like an excessive amount?

Anyway, onto my miniaturisation question. Recently, I've started examining the hairs I find and seeing if any appear thinner than normal. Occasionally I find white, wavy hair strands that are very thin, but I don't know whether these are synthetic, or even dog hairs (from my Shih-Tzu) as my hair isn't wavy at all. I also can find short, thick dark hairs, which again don't fit into my hair texture/colour. Do these sound like miniaturising hairs? My hair doesn't appear to be thinning or anything, but these hairs I am seeing are making me concerned. Again.

Sorry for such a long question. I posted this on BaldingBlog as well, which is why it probably sounds so formal.

I webcam-med some pics of my hair, these are from about two weeks ago. Not really looking for a 'review' of the pics... just an update I guess. My scalp has been a lot itchier recently, and feels like it's burning sometimes. I do not like the look of my hairline though, I feel it's shape is too much of a 'V', but I think I'm looking for perfection i.e. a juvenile hairline.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/jonnykino/june%202012/hairiirrr.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/jonnykino/june%202012/hairrrr2.jpg

Thanks.

Mate!

What head of hair. Why the panic...from the photos all looks great. The scalp issue is being addressed by your doctor. Just keep working with him or her to find an answer. All the Best, Michael.:)

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hey,

Thanks for your replies, but I was wondering whether I could get some info on miniaturisation as well, if possible? I know I've posted countless pictures, and my hair hasn't changed from those pictures, but I still can't work out the difference between miniaturisation , and then new hair growth/normal shedding.

I look at my hairline, I see vellus looking hair just in front of my hairline, but don't know whether that's 'just supposed to be there'. You can probably see them on my older pics, but am confused about them. Am also confused about the hairs on my hand in the shower/when I apply wax, because they appear to be different sizes and thickness, but they can also come from the back and sides of my hair also.

Don't really understand the process, so info would be great!

Thanks.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies, but I was wondering whether I could get some info on miniaturisation as well, if possible? I know I've posted countless pictures, and my hair hasn't changed from those pictures, but I still can't work out the difference between miniaturisation , and then new hair growth/normal shedding.

I look at my hairline, I see vellus looking hair just in front of my hairline, but don't know whether that's 'just supposed to be there'. You can probably see them on my older pics, but am confused about them. Am also confused about the hairs on my hand in the shower/when I apply wax, because they appear to be different sizes and thickness, but they can also come from the back and sides of my hair also.

Don't really understand the process, so info would be great!

Thanks.

like many said, your hair looks fine but you know your hair best, if you think it's thinning or minituarizing , there's a good chance it probably is

there's a couple ways to find out if you are beginning to lose hair

1. get photos from a couple years ago , see if you notice any difference when comparing problem areas before and now

2. go to a dermatologist or reputable HT doctor , have them do a in depth analysis on your scalp. they should have equipment to magnify and look at your scalp to see if you are really balding or not

3. start measuring the length of your forehead, you probably have to do it every 3~4 month and go out a year to get a trend. you will be able to tell if it's receding on you.

i used to have thick head of hair and never thought balding would be a problem, it's good if you act fast at least to rule it out and if you are indeed losing your hair then you get a lot more options now to keep your head of hair before it's too late.

good luck

Yeah. The thing is, I don't know, because I don't know what am looking for. You apparently lose 100-150 hairs a day to make way for new hair growth, right? If that's the case, I'm in that range, but then I see hairs that are darker than my own hair but short and very thick. Then I see some that appear thinner, but I can't tell because my hair is blonde. I also see then coming from the back of my hair and sides. Doesn't make sense. I've been 'monitoring' my hair for nearly two years now, and there's been NO change whatsoever. I'm not even just saying that because am in denial, either. There's cached images around the net of my hair, because I deleted my old PhotoBucket account, but my hair is the same. I've even posted pics of my hair from when I was 18 which shows my hairline as being the same shape as it is now. Close ups that I've posted on this forum as well, showing off macro's of my hairline prove that my hair is fine. My on top/around the crown where I have a parting also show no change. I just have an inflamed scalp. I just see these hairs on my hands of different shapes/sizes/colours. Don't get it.

Compare those photos of your hairline to photos of your hairline a few years ago, is there any difference? It looks to me like you could possibly have started receding (slightly) but maybe your hairline was always like this? If it's always been this way then you have no worries, it's such a strong hairline and your hair looks very thick all over. If it does look like it's gone back a bit then it's either just a 'mature' hairline or the early stages of recession......I'm not an expert so I have no idea.

Oh, I just read the bit where you said your hairline is the same as it was before. Like Spanker said, go and enjoy life. You have the hair that we all dream of on here!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Yeah. The thing is, I don't know, because I don't know what am looking for. You apparently lose 100-150 hairs a day to make way for new hair growth, right? If that's the case, I'm in that range, but then I see hairs that are darker than my own hair but short and very thick. Then I see some that appear thinner, but I can't tell because my hair is blonde. I also see then coming from the back of my hair and sides. Doesn't make sense. I've been 'monitoring' my hair for nearly two years now, and there's been NO change whatsoever. I'm not even just saying that because am in denial, either. There's cached images around the net of my hair, because I deleted my old PhotoBucket account, but my hair is the same. I've even posted pics of my hair from when I was 18 which shows my hairline as being the same shape as it is now. Close ups that I've posted on this forum as well, showing off macro's of my hairline prove that my hair is fine. My on top/around the crown where I have a parting also show no change. I just have an inflamed scalp. I just see these hairs on my hands of different shapes/sizes/colours. Don't get it.

look for any places that looks thinner or places that are out of proportion, look for white hairs, asked others to judge for you

if you seriously cant tell any difference and still want a peace of mind, go to a dermatologist or HT doctor to get an assessment of your current scalp

there's a good chance there's nothing wrong with your hair and you are just being paranoid and extra cautious which is a good thing

most 22 year olds dont lose their hair enough to make an appearance differnces but there seems to be more and more cases of young guys start losing their hair significantly in their 20s , myself included

@TommyLucchese

Here's a picture, the only picture I have that shows off my hairline as best as possible. This is from when I went abroad in 2008, so I was 18 when the picture was taken.

me2.jpg

@savehair

I've noticed white hairs, but they're wavy and almost synthetic looking. My girlfriend looked at one and said it looked more like something synthetic, or even dog hair.. I have a shih-tzu. I dunno whether they could just be from lying on my pillow or something, *shrug*. Everyone says my hair looks, and feels the same density all over, but then there's me noticing stuff, like these hairs, and the shape of my hairline.

Hey Mate;

It looks like your looking for more info here. Miniaturization is the process in which a hair follicle(s) being adversely effected by DHT produce a hair shaft that becomes finer and finer over a give period of time. That is finer than the normal hair for a particular individual. Eventually the follicle(s) stop producing hair all together. In HT unaffected hair follicles are transplanted to scalp areas that have undergone this process.

Hope this helps, all the best, Michael!

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hey Mate;

It looks like your looking for more info here. Miniaturization is the process in which a hair follicle(s) being adversely effected by DHT produce a hair shaft that becomes finer and finer over a give period of time. That is finer than the normal hair for a particular individual. Eventually the follicle(s) stop producing hair all together. In HT unaffected hair follicles are transplanted to scalp areas that have undergone this process.

Hope this helps, all the best, Michael!

I thought as much. This doesn't explain why am seeing short, thick dark brown hairs, then. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump and double post, didn't really want to start a new topic, but I still have questions and don't really know who or where to ask. Sorry if am bugging anyone.

Anyway, my hair is naturally straight. A few times when applying wax - well, putty to be technical - I've seen one or two thing, wavy hairs. Does miniaturisation change hair texture, or these hairs I see something different?

• Moderators

A hair grows, stops growing, falls out, and a few months later a new hair starts growing in its place. This is normal and happens to everyone. So some individual hairs will be just beginning to grow and others will be long and need to be cut and others will be somewhere in between. Also not all hairs will be exactly the same thickness either. This is all normal and none of it means you are losing your hair. Miniaturization is when a large percentage of hair in one area is much thinner than hair in another area. This is usually an indicator of where hair loss will be occurring soon because hair will generally grow thinner, wispier first before no longer growing at all. Your hair appears to be looking very good in pictures, so I don't think you should be too concerned with hair loss.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.