Is a hair system worth it? Why don't people just get a surgery?

flow

Just curious, because it seems like the long-term costs of buying/maintaining hair pieces are outweighed when you consider you do a surgery and be done with it.

Somehow, though, I feel like I'm missing something obvious and there's probably many legitimate reasons why someone would consider a piece over surgery, can someone tell me the advantages?

Hi Flow;

You were right about the answer being simple in many instances. The individual simply does not have enough donor hair. In other circumstances the baldness is not androgenic and therefore making an individual not a good candidate for HT. My last offering, is that some people really dislike the idea of surgery, needles et al. Hope this helps, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

I had surgery 20 years ago. This only works temporarily, as with the passing years the hair around the transplanted hair will go, there will eventually not be much hair left to transplant from, and the areas the transplanted hair was taken from will become bald revealing the many scars from the hair plugs removed.

Hair units from a good supplier at a reasonable price and properly cut-in and maintained will (in my experience) be a much better solution for many people.

Hi James,

Your answer is partly true if a person loses more hair and there is not enough available donor hair. Happily, things have changed dramatically in HT from 20 years ago. The level of microscopic evaluation done by today's top hair transplant surgeons provides greater accuracy in predicting future hair loss. Also the advent of FDA approved medications is reducing hair loss for some patients who without medication would suffer a greater amount of hair loss as the grow older.

The advancements in the actual of FUT surgeries [strip & FUE] provide surgeons an opportunity to really to design a hairline and map out a long term hair restoration program for the patient.

Like yourself people who had earlier surgeries before the medical advancement in hair restoration may find a hair system the best alternative. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

because a good hair system looks better, is quicker and cheaper than a hair transplant and is totally undetectable

Hi Mikey,

I am also curious to why you recommend hair systems with such a passion. Over the long term a person using hair system will spend far more than the cost of the best HT available. I think the reality is that each individual has different needs and really depends on some medical issues, personal preference as well as budgt.

That being said it is hard to argue that the natural, proven and permanent results of good HT is inferior to a hair system. As a patient advocate I would like to hear your reasoning. Hope to hear from you. All the Best, Michael.

Over the long term a person using hair system will spend far more than the cost of the best HT available.

3 good quality systems per annum, cost ?450.

10 years of buying systems, roughly costing me ?5000.

Now maths isn't my strong point but I would hazard an educated guess that this works out cheaper than a top quality HT?

• 2 months later...
3 good quality systems per annum, cost ?450.

10 years of buying systems, roughly costing me ?5000.

Now maths isn't my strong point but I would hazard an educated guess that this works out cheaper than a top quality HT?

I spent around $7,200 on my first 1,775-graft HT, and about about to spend about $6,000 or so on an upcoming 1,600-ish-graft HT, so around $13,000 total for roughly 3,400-ish grafts covering the entire front of my head with a rebuilt hairline.

So yeah, it costs a bit more, that is a downside. Pain is nothing to me; no pain, no gain. The ugly duckling phase kind of sucks though, and will suck more the second time around because although I was pretty much bald the first time and a surgery didn't make me look much worse, this time I will be sacrificing my nice image with decent styled hair in exchange for redness, scabbing, and swelling with a big scar for several weeks. It's still worth it to me though; the pain and the price are worth the complete lack of maintenance, plus the invincibility to the elements (or the prying hands of the aforementioned strippers, should they try to run their dainty paws through my hair during a lap-dance :)

I don't want anyone to be able to call my hair "fake." I do empathize with the NW6 and NW7 guys though; if it's the only real feasible option, then rock the rug for the next decade or so - until the scientists manage to crank out some hair-cloning stem cell technology :)

I spent around $7,200 on my first 1,775-graft HT, and about about to spend about $6,000 or so on an upcoming 1,600-ish-graft HT, so around $13,000 total for roughly 3,400-ish grafts covering the entire front of my head with a rebuilt hairline.

So yeah, it costs a bit more, that is a downside. Pain is nothing to me; no pain, no gain. The ugly duckling phase kind of sucks though, and will suck more the second time around because although I was pretty much bald the first time and a surgery didn't make me look much worse, this time I will be sacrificing my nice image with decent styled hair in exchange for redness, scabbing, and swelling with a big scar for several weeks. It's still worth it to me though; the pain and the price are worth the complete lack of maintenance, plus the invincibility to the elements (or the prying hands of the aforementioned strippers, should they try to run their dainty paws through my hair during a lap-dance :)

I don't want anyone to be able to call my hair "fake." I do empathize with the NW6 and NW7 guys though; if it's the only real feasible option, then rock the rug for the next decade or so - until the scientists manage to crank out some hair-cloning stem cell technology :)

Hello OtherSyde;

I am certainly a proponent of HT whenever a person qualifies for it as a patient. The facts are though that some people for lack of donor hair, diffused pattern balding or other reasons will not benefit from HT.

Leading hair system makers allow patients to choose hair that is natural in look and texture. I have visited them and like hair restoration the leading centers work is undetectable. HT is the most natural proven and permanent solution. But for those who just dont qualify may want to use a more advanced hair system. All the Best, Michael

I use hair thickening sprays and fibres.but decided to get a system from Hair4all and ended up with a load of rubbish and ?350. conned from me by Phil Osmond.

it was supposed to be a freestyle hairpiece but Ive seen better freestyle toilet brushes. avoid this company like plague

I use hair thickening sprays and fibres.but decided to get a system from Hair4all and ended up with a load of rubbish and ?350. conned from me by Phil Osmond.

it was supposed to be a freestyle hairpiece but Ive seen better freestyle toilet brushes. avoid this company like plague

Hello Phil,

Sorry, to hear about that particularly if you have not other alternative. I can share the link of the one center I visited and who I know handle some well know A listers who you would not thins sported a system. Here it is: Los Angeles Hair Restoration and Hair Replacement | Hair Loss Solutions Los Angeles | Hair Extensions Los Angeles | Custom Hair Pieces Los Angeles All the Best, Michael

• 1 year later...

Oh man.. I remember falling for the gimmick of the Hair Matrix (hair system) by Hair Club... I was a young stud with awesome hair (but I just knew I was thinning) and yet the Hair Club managed to get me to shell out some dough! I went back the next day and argued for my money back (and got a refund).

Overall, a hair system isn't bad if that makes you happy... but there's nothing like getting the natural effect of your own hair growing where there was no hair (or bad hair) before. HT is the way to go man.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Overall, a hair system isn't bad if that makes you happy... but there's nothing like getting the natural effect of your own hair growing where there was no hair (or bad hair) before. HT is the way to go man.

Absolutely - if you're a candidate at all, it really is the best way to go.

FYI, contrary to my previous post quoted above, my second procedure only costed about $5,400 instead of $6,000, I was able to cover up the hairline work with my hair simply being combed forward a bit, and Dr. Gabel left the hair on the back of my head a little longer as well (about a #4 or #5 grade), so it was able to cover the incision/scar pretty well from the get-go. There was very little pain as well. Aside from sporting a sightly dorky hairdo for a month or so, it was actually a way better and smoother experience than my first HT.

But yeah, if you're just absolutely not a candidate for HT, even with body-hair transplantation (BHT) options from Dr. Umar or the others who specialize in that, then maybe a Hair System would be the best option until they finally figure out how to clone hair follicles.

Best of luck, in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe some people in this thread understand.

Not that I am advocating one option or the other, but of course we all want our natural hair back. What makes this option appealing is the cost differentiation compared to the HT, as well as the success of hair to actually be there.

As a 22 year old who is a NW3 Vertex, I do plan on getting a HT in a couple of years. However, there is absolutely no guarantee that your hair will actually grow back. While many people have had successful HT on this forum, there are so many pretty terrible results too. (lets be honest) And these results are from verified recommended surgeons from the forum.

Again some results are terrific and give me so much hope, but others just make me even more nervous and upset for when the day comes that I may reconsider when that day comes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a hair system and I would never go back to a time without one. I have the best hair of my adult life.

Since I have had a hair system I have never once considered the need for a hair transplant. Moreover, I am so happy with my hair system and I think this every day since I have a 100% full head of hair.

The advantages of a Hair system or unit are just as powerful as the disadvantages of a Hair transplant in my case. I could list the advantages of a Hair system, but in this answer I want to focus on the reasons NOT to get a hair transplant.

When people think bald solution, they invariably think of a hair transplant. Maybe it's the way we have been conditioned through marketing. However, the truth is less flattering.

A hair transplant is invasive surgery. No matter what you are told, without painkillers and injections, a hair transplant hurts as a strip is harvest from the back of your scalp and then sown up. The harvest hair is then stabbed or injected back. It leaves bruises in the short term, scarring longer term and the possibility of infection.

It is expensive and success is far from guaranteed. The hair that is taken from your donor strip may not take and grow. Meanwhile, hair that is pre-existing on your head can still fall out leaving a patchy effect. This is why some people take out more than one hair transplant, but you will NEVER regain a full head of hair via a hair transplant as there just isn't enough hair available, regardless of the thousands and thousands you need to spend.

When new hair grows, it can take a well over a year to see the full effects and even then it can resemble "baby hair". Up to this point, we are assuming everything is done correctly, but you don't have to Google long to find horror stories of bad scarring or hairs implanted in the wrong direction leaving a very unnatural look.

The biggest barrier for most people is the cost. It's not uncommon to have three, four or five procedures so you can see how the costs can quickly mount up.

Admittedly, some people have had "success" with hair transplants, but with the cost, time and pain, is it really worth the risk?

I wear a hair system and I would never go back to a time without one. I have the best hair of my adult life.

Since I have had a hair system I have never once considered the need for a hair transplant. Moreover, I am so happy with my hair system and I think this every day since I have a 100% full head of hair.

The advantages of a Hair system or unit are just as powerful as the disadvantages of a Hair transplant in my case. I could list the advantages of a Hair system, but in this answer I want to focus on the reasons NOT to get a hair transplant.

When people think bald solution, they invariably think of a hair transplant. Maybe it's the way we have been conditioned through marketing. However, the truth is less flattering.

A hair transplant is invasive surgery. No matter what you are told, without painkillers and injections, a hair transplant hurts as a strip is harvest from the back of your scalp and then sown up. The harvest hair is then stabbed or injected back. It leaves bruises in the short term, scarring longer term and the possibility of infection.

It is expensive and success is far from guaranteed. The hair that is taken from your donor strip may not take and grow. Meanwhile, hair that is pre-existing on your head can still fall out leaving a patchy effect. This is why some people take out more than one hair transplant, but you will NEVER regain a full head of hair via a hair transplant as there just isn't enough hair available, regardless of the thousands and thousands you need to spend.

When new hair grows, it can take a well over a year to see the full effects and even then it can resemble "baby hair". Up to this point, we are assuming everything is done correctly, but you don't have to Google long to find horror stories of bad scarring or hairs implanted in the wrong direction leaving a very unnatural look.

The biggest barrier for most people is the cost. It's not uncommon to have three, four or five procedures so you can see how the costs can quickly mount up.

Admittedly, some people have had "success" with hair transplants, but with the cost, time and pain, is it really worth the risk?

It's true that some people would just be better off with a hair system. I could never do it, because it requires one major thing that I'm unwilling to give: Maintenance. I'm only willing to go with zero-maintenance, permanent solutions, in general. That's more just me, though.

Then there's the immutable fact that you have "fake hair" and a "rug" glued to your head; that's pretty hard to defend against a crowd of hecklers, or a lover who passionately runs their hands through your hair only to have it come halfway off or something. I personally would not risk that, but if you're careful I imagine you could maintain the illusion for a long time. I just... don't like being careful. I like living care-free.

There really isn't much pain to a hair transplant. I've had two FUT's, and I'd take one of those over a root canal or other unpleasant but routine dentistry any day. Beyond that though, to be honest I really don't even consider pain to be a factor unless it's extreme. If you're not willing to plow through the pain to get what you want, then you probably don't deserve it.

HT's are considerably more expensive (up front at least) for sure, but I always just down-paid some and financed the rest, so a big lump sum of thousands of dollars isn't really necessary.

Extremely rarely do people get infections from properly-performed hair transplants; I've actually never heard of one happening personally, and I've been reading countless reports online for years now. Sure, it can happen, but it's not really a big concern.

The HT world is certainly a complex one to navigate, and there are pitfalls, but if you're a decent candidate and if you play your cards right it can be very rewarding. Granted it's just not for everyone - it's not a quick-fix, requires patience and commitments, runs risks, and has the "ugly duckling" phase; I'm very happy with mine, but ultimately I think it's a personal choice, really.

It's true that some people would just be better off with a hair system. I could never do it, because it requires one major thing that I'm unwilling to give: Maintenance. I'm only willing to go with zero-maintenance, permanent solutions, in general. That's more just me, though.

Then there's the immutable fact that you have "fake hair" and a "rug" glued to your head; that's pretty hard to defend against a crowd of hecklers, or a lover who passionately runs their hands through your hair only to have it come halfway off or something. I personally would not risk that, but if you're careful I imagine you could maintain the illusion for a long time. I just... don't like being careful. I like living care-free.

There really isn't much pain to a hair transplant. I've had two FUT's, and I'd take one of those over a root canal or other unpleasant but routine dentistry any day. Beyond that though, to be honest I really don't even consider pain to be a factor unless it's extreme. If you're not willing to plow through the pain to get what you want, then you probably don't deserve it.

HT's are considerably more expensive (up front at least) for sure, but I always just down-paid some and financed the rest, so a big lump sum of thousands of dollars isn't really necessary.

Extremely rarely do people get infections from properly-performed hair transplants; I've actually never heard of one happening personally, and I've been reading countless reports online for years now. Sure, it can happen, but it's not really a big concern.

The HT world is certainly a complex one to navigate, and there are pitfalls, but if you're a decent candidate and if you play your cards right it can be very rewarding. Granted it's just not for everyone - it's not a quick-fix, requires patience and commitments, runs risks, and has the "ugly duckling" phase; I'm very happy with mine, but ultimately I think it's a personal choice, really.

Given the risks I would back a hair system every time. Maintenance is a joy as I think of the results. It takes me 25-minutes every 2 to 3 weeks and I usually fit it in with watching something, so its no big deal. After all when you have had thin or no hair, I would gladly spend 10 times longer for the same results I have.

As for stigma, it doesnt bother me. Everyone close knows I have a hair system as I am quite open about it. I have been in a long term relationship and my OH was more excited than me at the prospect!

No harm in looking good however, you wish to achieve this

ps my hair system has never come off without me initiating it :)

Given the risks I would back a hair system every time. Maintenance is a joy as I think of the results. It takes me 25-minutes every 2 to 3 weeks and I usually fit it in with watching something, so its no big deal. After all when you have had thin or no hair, I would gladly spend 10 times longer for the same results I have.

As for stigma, it doesnt bother me. Everyone close knows I have a hair system as I am quite open about it. I have been in a long term relationship and my OH was more excited than me at the prospect!

No harm in looking good however, you wish to achieve this

ps my hair system has never come off without me initiating it :)

We each have our preferences. Also, more specifically, me being active duty career military and deploying to the far reaches of the world and the fringes of civilization on a fairly regular basis, any maintenance is too much maintenance for me - although I know that's not the case for most people who live within normal society.

I guess it's good that hair systems have come so far as well.

So here's one for you - say they finally reach the Holy Grail of HT technology and figure out how to pluck a single follicle from you, then grow a couple dozen thousand clones of it in a petri dish over the next few weeks, and then you just come in and have them implant and position the new hairs - no risk of scarring, no waste of donor hair or thinning of donor area, much less invasive/painful/risk of infection, etc. - and lower cost as well due to a streamlined process, less labor time, better methods, and more industry competition. Would you consider a permanent HT then? Or stay with your system? Just wondering what your biggest aversion to HT is.

We each have our preferences. Also, more specifically, me being active duty career military and deploying to the far reaches of the world and the fringes of civilization on a fairly regular basis, any maintenance is too much maintenance for me - although I know that's not the case for most people who live within normal society.

I guess it's good that hair systems have come so far as well.

So here's one for you - say they finally reach the Holy Grail of HT technology and figure out how to pluck a single follicle from you, then grow a couple dozen thousand clones of it in a petri dish over the next few weeks, and then you just come in and have them implant and position the new hairs - no risk of scarring, no waste of donor hair or thinning of donor area, much less invasive/painful/risk of infection, etc. - and lower cost as well due to a streamlined process, less labor time, better methods, and more industry competition. Would you consider a permanent HT then? Or stay with your system? Just wondering what your biggest aversion to HT is.

Hair systems are no longer the "rug rat" potrayed in lazy hollywood clich?s. they are natural looking (when done correctly), but as pointed out there are many ways to skin a cat.

Believe you me, there are a plethora of people in "normal society" that use maintenance as an excuse for inaction.

When the boffins can come up with a permanent baldness solution (and one day they will) then I will of course, consider it as well as the implications.

I'd be OK with the "maintenance" - heck, I still use Rogaine and Propecia.. which takes time to apply the solution 2x a day (like brushing teeth) or cut the Proscar pills in quarters and remember to take every night... having to get refills at the pharmacy or the zoo of Costco lines. or the embarrassment of a hot chick in the cashier's line seeing my Rogaine purchase and then looking at my full head of hair (thanks to Dr Mohebi's HT procedure tho)... anyway, this is to say that "maintenance" doesn't put me off because the benefits of the maintenance far outweigh not having good hair.

The thing that DOES put me off about hair pieces it the extreme fullness of it... the ones I've seen in person (the people I've seen that I know that DO have hair pieces).. they were too full, hairs too thick, and too dark.. in combination, those features contrasted too much with the skin quality of the man, or the hair quality of the man's eyebrows.. basically, it just appeared that the hair was too young for the age of the man. One of these guys is a physician, the other a teacher. I do not know where they bought the hair piece, or if they skimped out on the price of one, and thus got a lower quality one.

But I am also uber-sensitive to hair and notice things more than other people, in regard to hair issues.

Although it was initially saddening to me to realize that at the current state of HT technology, one cannot hope to obtain a "Full head of teenage hair", eventually, (after my procedure with mohebi) I realized that if your surgeons plans your hair design well, if his artistry is high, he'll use fewer hairs and create an illusion of higher density, in such a way that looks natural. I guess when I use the term "natural" I mean that as a 32 year old man, my hair looks mature, not too much hair like a teenager, sure I'm a guy whose hair is less than when I was a kid, but I don't look like I have hair loss issues either (I was a NW 5 before surgery).

Its just my 2 cents. But if a person is happy with a hair piece, more power to them, and I support the concept entirely. I am just wondering, can you choose to decrease hair density over time without shelling out $$ for an entirely new piece? Can you color the hair, or go for hair cuts? Or is the hair style supposed to stay the same throughout perpetuity of the piece? (If I recall, Elton John has a collection of hair pieces and uses different ones for different appearances.. so that's probably the way to do it)

I've really enjoyed being able to go to a top stylist and getting my hair cut without my stylist ever noticing that I've had an HT procedure (though I eventually chose to tell her and have become pretty good friends with her).

Regarding contrast of the hair piece to the age, skin, eyebrows of the wearer, John Travolta pops into my mind.

Definitely no judgement, this is just my thoughts.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

The thing that DOES put me off about hair pieces it the extreme fullness of it... the ones I've seen in person (the people I've seen that I know that DO have hair pieces).. they were too full, hairs too thick, and too dark.. in combination, those features contrasted too much with the skin quality of the man, or the hair quality of the man's eyebrows.. basically, it just appeared that the hair was too young for the age of the man. One of these guys is a physician, the other a teacher. I do not know where they bought the hair piece, or if they skimped out on the price of one, and thus got a lower quality one.

Its great that we have options and more power to us for that.

Density is the most obvious give away and for that research people need to research the issues around hair systems (but thats true for any course of action).

In addition, you need to take into account your age and the density of your remaining hair. Then of course you need to find a quality, reliable supplier (which is true for HTs also). As with HTs recommendations and word of mouth are king.

I always get mine custom made from a template and a hair sample. I can vary the density and colour for up to 9 different areas of my head.

One thing I have learned is price and quality are not correlated. You can pay ?1000 ($1600) for one piece which has the same provenance as another piece for ?250 ($400).

A hair system is just a raw material and it will only work when the trinity of hair system, cut in and after care is of the highest quality.

Its great that we have options and more power to us for that.

Density is the most obvious give away and for that research people need to research the issues around hair systems (but thats true for any course of action).

In addition, you need to take into account your age and the density of your remaining hair. Then of course you need to find a quality, reliable supplier (which is true for HTs also). As with HTs recommendations and word of mouth are king.

I always get mine custom made from a template and a hair sample. I can vary the density and colour for up to 9 different areas of my head.

One thing I have learned is price and quality are not correlated. You can pay ?1000 ($1600) for one piece which has the same provenance as another piece for ?250 ($400).

A hair system is just a raw material and it will only work when the trinity of hair system, cut in and after care is of the highest quality.

Good post. Even though I have no experience in it, I agree with your "trinity" comment. I would also add that the biggest give away for me is when a person has really bad donor region with thick hair on top.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.