Show me a poor FUE result

There's been a fair amount of debate in the relative merits of FUT vs FUE (a quick search on here will find quite a few threads).

The one thing that bothers me is I've not seen a bad FUE result from the likes of Bisanga or Feriduni etc. If the procedure is less successful than FUT then where are all the examples of poor yield?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There are some examples that have been posted. Google a doctor +FUE +poor result.

The thing is, only "x" percent of patients post. No clinic will likely put up a poor result willingly. There are certainly bad results from top clincs--FUE and FUT. Occasional poor results from H&W have been displayed here. There are poor Rahal results. There are poor Feller results, etc.. See a recent post by Dr. Lindsey regarding the unpredictable nature of FUE due to previous scaring in one of his patients.

That's exactly right. Once you get a bad result, you are a bad result. You need docs to help you, not run from you. The negativity that surrounds you if you post will kill off all potential helping docs. For a start, the docs respect each other and they all know they are one bad result and one screwed up patient away from internet carnage.

The only exceptions are if 'you were hurt by one of the bad guys' - the KFCs of the HT world, like Bolsey etc., then you are less of a threat.

FUE is still new in he states, barely 10 years old. The first wave of FUE docs have been banished and burned and now the 'good guys' are using it to 'augment' their strip. But the first lot of banished guys are still worth knowing if you want FUE, so no point in upsetting them.

I think we see plenty of bad FUE personally, but it isn't donor damage like Feller and Lindsay are on about. It is more weak recipient. But FUE is getting better and better, every year. Go to the FUE docs in Europe. (not just Bisanga- strip is popular there) I mean the guys who have really gone for the FUE lock and stock, not just 'small jobs' Lorenzo etc.

An extremely high percent of unhappy patients whether strip or FUE will not post their story much less their pics.

Clinics only post their best results.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The number one issue for unhappy FUE patients continue to be lack of yield or regrowth. The number two issue that I hear about is the scarring both in the extraction sites as well as the collateral damage than can be potentially done in their donor zones.

The scarring left in the donor sites can be from large sized punches but also during the extraction process. It is the torsion, traction, twisting, and compression effects during the extraction process that can potentially damage some of the neighboring FU's and also to the adjoining tissue itself. In other words, some of the closer neighboring FU's may not be eligible for extraction in the future because of this collateral damage.

The reason we do not read or hear more about this is because the patient(s) cannot see it. First of all, the damage is in the donor zone at the back of our heads. Second, this type of damage is under layer. Meaning, the damage is deeper in the dermis layer and has to be viewed with magnification. Not possible for the average patient to see but every now and then i will hear from someone who tells me that they went to a different FUE doc for their second FUE procedure and the new surgeon informs them that they do not have as many "available" FU's that can be safely harvested. Some ask me how that can be Gil?

But in all fairness to the docs, the good and reputable ones had to learn too right? Many of them are refining not only their extraction skills but several of them are passionately involved in improving the instrumentation for FUE including robotics.

The problem I have are the ones who purposely use larger punches to speed up the extraction process. Some are more concerned with how many grafts they can extract in one hour than being oriented around each and every individual patient. Be very skeptical of the surgeon who "brags" about how fast he/she can extract. A more honest ethical answer would be, "Let's wait until we get started and I will have a better idea". The texture qualities vary between patients which is my next point.

There was a "FOXX" test developed that was supposed to be the standard of evaluating if the patient had the right scalp depth and "texture" in order to safely remove tissue by extraction means. In other words, does this patient have the right candidacy for FUE? Some patient have more of a softer or mush to their scalp tissue. Or their FUs were so tight in proximity to safely extract without causing this collateral damage. Back then, the punches were much larger so there was more potential for this type of damage during the extraction process. How many docs "pretest" the patient's scalp for the quality of their scalp tissue and/or then ethically stop the procedure and explain or how many might just continue to extract and "hope" for the best outcome (yield)?

The reality is that not everyone is a candidate for "manual" FUE, period! :eek:

Yet we never hear anyone discussing this. It is very rare that it comes up. Back in the day, when FUE first hit the US, that was one of my arguments against FUE and in favor for strip.:rolleyes:

And I have not yet commented on the variation of transection rates between those performing FUE because it is impossible to do. Who in the world is going to keep track of that? Transection is damage to the extracted grafts (follicles) during the extraction process in FUE for those of you who may not yet know what transection is. Transection varies quite a lot between clinics/surgeons depending on the skill and expertise of that particular surgeon performing the extractions. Is everyone aware that some docs let their assistants and even their techs do the extractions at times? I still hear about it to this day.

Still to this day, many are of the opinion that strip is still a better yield because it is much easier to safely microscopically dissect the donor strip minimizing damage to the precious follicles.

My opinion of FUE is changing though for the better. More surgeons are getting better and more proficient with thank goodness, some consistent results!:)

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY