Considering hair transplantation

Hi all,

I'm a long-term lurker on these boards since around 2006, the year I noticed my hair loss.

I've toyed in my mind with the idea of transplantation since then, but never really worked up the cojones to actually do anything (like post here). All for the best, considering I was only 21 - but now I've a much less panicky handle on the situation and very clear ideas about what I'd like to achieve, I'd like as many perspectives as possible without freaking out my friends and family.

So here's my situation: 28 y/o male from the UK, somewhere between a Norwood 2 and 3 I'd say (you be the judge, pics attached). I have a badly receded temple region, one noticably 'further back' than the other to form an uneven widow's peak effect (the central part is still going strong). The hair everywhere else (on my head you understand) is relatively dense and the donor region shouldn't be a problem (again, append 'in my opinion' to everything). Some photos seem to show a thinning crown too, but I think this may simply be a combination of lighting and my dreaded double crown/whorl thing that my barber so loves to tackle. In any event it feels dense enough to touch. I have been using minoxidil since 2006, first in liquid then the foam medium, once a day and I don't *think* the recession has gotten much worse since then. My hairline appears stable, compared to the rapid loss between 2003-2006.

My goal wouldn't be to completely reconstruct the hairline - ironically, I actually like the look of a bit of hairline recession. Just not as bad as it is now, extending back to the centre of my scalp. Nor am I concerned particularly with the appearance of denseness, though I suppose that'll be deteremined by my existing hair density to make it 'blend' visually. I've marked on one of the pics a line where I'd ideally like to see my hairline when the transplant has fully taken.

I suppose I have several questions for anyone who cares enough to give their $0.02 on:

• is this goal realistic, from a technical standpoint?
  • would the fact that it really isn't a huge area needing "filled in" make the procedure more economical? I am working to a budget, and I'm hoping the modesty of the improvement I'd like to see would allow it to become a reality. I'm also hoping this will make the change less noticable - is that feasible, or will I have to get used to explaining to people what happened and why I did it..?
  • I'm from the UK: I remember reading back around 2006 on this forum, the consensus being it was mostly worthwhile to go Stateside for this kind of thing due to their expertise. A brief scan now seems to suggest this has changed, and various surgeons around Europe and the Indian subcontinent come recommended. With the cost of flights a factor in my research as well, do any of you have an opinion on this?
  • I'm not on Propecia, due to the cost and reported side effects, even though I know statistically they impact a very small number of users - am I shooting myself in the foot here?

Ciao, and thanks for reading this wall of text.

5b32d2eb6cdd4_templegoodlight1.jpg.ac9d94c4e80ab1166c34f7d677a962c7.jpg

5b32d2eb7d6ae_temple2.jpg.033b5d022fec090ef08091e741ea24d4.jpg

5b32d2ec86f22_temple2prospectivehairline.jpg.cad71548940ec99bb183bebed01641d8.jpg

5b32d2ecab625_temple1.jpg.a27cd1b1cfef4eb96e694545d7d4800e.jpg

5b32d2ecbfdee_scalpanddonorregion2.jpg.daf2f607ee40e5acec380f2bbac4f076.jpg

5b32d2ecd7991_scalpdonorregion1.jpg.15d353e8d0cc757a9429c252a4184a00.jpg

5b32d2ecf1905_pulledback.jpg.af7cb77eea87a95b33ffa3fde27c1ea5.jpg

5b32d2ed0c6eb_frontgoodlight1.jpg.093ef4019c5410b9ac89712816b1b674.jpg

Hi there,

Generic propecia is very affordable and plenty of people on here can recommend legitimate sources. Look at how well it has worked for Declan Donnelly (of Ant & Dec fame). I wouldnt get too hung up on the side affects either. Lots of people on here don't get any and even if you did you can stop taking the drug and return to normal. (I'm currently on 1/4 tablet every other day which doesnt give me the headaches I got on the tablet a day dose).

The problem I see with your hairline is that it is thinning over quite a large area which means if you fill in the temples there is a risk that the native hair deteriorates to the point where you are playing catch up.

Anyway, I wish you luck with it. I started the meds 1st April and have noticed a positive effect so far and intend to re-evaluate after 12 months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I guess I'll start with Proscar or the generic version then.

Do you absolutely have to have a prescription for it? I'd rather avoid the ackwardness and stigma of having to ask my doctor, and of course the gossipy pharmacy staff...

The thinning in the area still with hair seems to be stable, and I'm not really worried about it: it's only badly noticable under a camera flash I think. Although maybe it's a sign I'm headed higher up the Norwood scale. Argh.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else got an opinion?

I'm not on Propecia, due to the cost and reported side effects, even though I know statistically they impact a very small number of users - am I shooting myself in the foot here?

Yes. You have way too much to hair to keep right now. After a year on propecia you may realize that you don't even need a transplant. Don't let the fear-mongering effect your decision. Get it on ASAP and then wait another year or two before you get a HT.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I agree with what others have said. Get on Fin! I hate to say this, but it looks like your hair is thinning all over. It's still pretty dense in areas so aesthetically it probably looks okay right now when you style it. You need to give Fin a year to see what kind of stabilization/regrowth you get with it. After that, you'll be in a much better position when deciding how to go about the first HT. Good luck!

Carthago, its great you've hit 'sanity point' with hair loss. Took me ten years longer than you. Well done and now you can apply that perspective to making the best decision for you.

Aaron, couldn't agree more about finasteride and evaluating. But after the wait of a year or more, if the prospect desires frontal restoration plus some 'evening out' through the scalp, the only way is a small procedure. Granted he likes a mature look but finasteride wont re-create a better line and his issues about frontal uneveness seem quite valid to me. Just my thoughts.

I guess I'll start with Proscar or the generic version then.

Do you absolutely have to have a prescription for it? I'd rather avoid the ackwardness and stigma of having to ask my doctor, and of course the gossipy pharmacy staff...

The thinning in the area still with hair seems to be stable, and I'm not really worried about it: it's only badly noticable under a camera flash I think. Although maybe it's a sign I'm headed higher up the Norwood scale. Argh.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else got an opinion?

Boots have a walk-in (or online) hair prevention service which avoids the stigma of having to visit your GP. It's a bit pricey but you will have the peace of mind of doing everything by the book. If it works you can use other sources like the site Spex suggests.

I would avoid Proscar for the simple reason that it is more difficult to divide the tablets into doses smaller than 1.25mg.

I'm heading (no pun intended!) to a similar norwood scale to you so I know what you're going through. I had a noticeable loss of hair between ages 29-33 so be mindful that it could get worse!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day