Crown only FUE question

My hair all over I don't really have an issue with apart from my bald spot. It's been going slowing over the last 10 years.

For the last 7 I've been using toppik to cover it but this has impacted my life massively. I've stopped doing sports, can't go out in the sun (stopped sunny holidays) get paranoid when someone is behind me and my confidence over it all has shattered, but the need to cover it up wins over all that.

I've been using rogaine foam for the last 5 months and if it has made any difference it has not been noticable.

I want to get my life back and toppik stops me from doing this and so I'm looking into FUE.

The thing is it's only my crown that I would want done, I don't think I'm thinning on top and I don't mind my receding hairline, but the bald spot is a massive problem for me. Everything I find on FUE is about receding hairline really and nothing for people with just a balding crown.

1. Do places do crowns only? and am i a suitable candidate?

2. If they do what kind of price am I looking at?

I've attached a picture of my crown for suggestions (when I look in the mirror it actually looks worse than it does in that picture but that's probably lighting)

hair.JPG.c35e6252ecc138a044ffa4493c5e5773.JPG

Rogaines effects don't begin until after 6 months so you still have some time before noticing any positive changes. You may also want to look into propecia as it tends to work better than rogaine for most people. From your photo I'm not sure you're a surgical candidate because you may have the possibility of getting shock loss in the area but this needs to be determined in person, so see a recommended surgeon from the forum and see what they say. Any clinic here would do crown restoration.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

That spot is very small and very fixable. Crown hair loss usually starts in the cowlike/swirl area as it does in your case. All of the hairs in this area are diverging in a starburt pattern that make it more difficult to make the very center look thick because the hairs are leaving that area in all different directions. That is why you may choose to have another procedure there to obtain better density. If it really botherws you that much you should do something about it. Life is short.

Dr. Charles, is FUE a decent option for crown work? Like the OP said, it seems like we only see FUE results in the hairline but not for the crown. Because he has such a small bald spot, I'm hoping FUE is a viable option.

Dr Charles,

I've noticed on a few threads that I've looked through that you've added knowledgeable comments, it helped me a lot when preparing for my surgery and in dealing with any unexpected things post op.

Just wanted to say thanks, it's very much appreciated to have surgeons such as yourself helping out the rest of us.

Cheers

Holy cow man.

That little baldspot is ruining your life?

Yes, pretty much any hair restoration clinic would be able to help you in the crown.

It's the covering it up aspect of toppik that's making it difficult but i don't like the alternative either

Rogaines effects don't begin until after 6 months so you still have some time before noticing any positive changes. You may also want to look into propecia as it tends to work better than rogaine for most people. From your photo I'm not sure you're a surgical candidate because you may have the possibility of getting shock loss in the area but this needs to be determined in person, so see a recommended surgeon from the forum and see what they say. Any clinic here would do crown restoration.

The side effects put me off propecia and I don't think that solution is for me.

That spot is very small and very fixable. Crown hair loss usually starts in the cowlike/swirl area as it does in your case. All of the hairs in this area are diverging in a starburt pattern that make it more difficult to make the very center look thick because the hairs are leaving that area in all different directions. That is why you may choose to have another procedure there to obtain better density. If it really botherws you that much you should do something about it. Life is short.

It is something I really want to get done so just trying to find out how possible it is for me.

What kind of density could I get their and how does a crown look after FUE and it has a bit more of a swirl in that area?

I dont think any reputable doctor would work on that spot. That does not even look like MPB to me. My son who is 2 and has great thick hair has the same spot in back. Seriously, I am not trying to tell you how to feel but look around at most guys who are not losing their hair and their crowns are the same or worse. I dont know why you even add product. Has anyone ever commented on it? Maybe it is worse than the pic shows but based on the pic, I would never think you are losing hair.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Perhaps you can post some more photos, but based on the one you show, I would not even touch it. Your response to this (shutting down your life) is far out of proportion to what the photo is showing. I know, I know--all that matters is how it is affecting you and if a HT deals with it you think you will feel better. And indeed you may. But the majority--probably 99%-- of bald fellows on this site would kill for your hair (as it shows in your picture).

Post a few more photos if you can--it will help.

• Moderators

I had a bigger bald spot than that when I was 15. Most people who have megasession hair transplants don't even get back to the stage you are at. Stop ruining your life over something that isn't there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.