Any SMOKERS taking FIN or having Transplants?

I just got some Proscar from my doc, but am hesitant in starting because I'm currently still smoking a few cigarettes a day. I'm a pack a day smoker for roughly 8 years, currently 25 years old. My physique is great, but I can barely run 1 kilometer.

There isn't any HARD evidence that smoking causes hairloss, but lots of studies come close, especially in accelerating hair loss.

In the States, lot's of clinics don't even prescribe patients with Ulcers drugs like Nexium, because they are smokers, and they feel it's a waste.

I'm wondering if the same goes for Fin/HT and smoking.

i'm currently trying to quit, and I wan't to be in great aerobic shape before I start either of these things. I feel it will help with potential side effects.

Looking forward to responses! Feel free to visit my other thread in hairloss drugs.

Thanks!

Holy Smokes! A PACK A DAY FOR 8 YEARS? WOW. Dude you need to quit or at least decrease it to maybe 1 a day regardless of the hair loss.

By the way I couldn't really figure out what you were asking.

Are you asking if smokers are able to get prescriptions for Fin?

Or whether smokers can get HTs?

Or if smoking and taking Fin at the same time will have unwanted side effects?

I don't know any of those answers, but just wondering if that's what you are asking so that someone else can answer.

I'm asking if HT doc's will still give the procedure knowing the patient is a heavy smoker, it seems counter active and possibly have negative results. It was just a curiosity of mine.

Yes I know, terrible habit that I've been battling for quite some time, I've cut down immensely and am going to try to quit before tomorrow, May 1st.

I don't believe a doc will not perform a ht because your a smoker. I know your not supposed to smoke a couple days before a ht due to blood thinning. But good luck quitting, it's a much more important decision to make than a ht!

İ have never heard anything about the relation bw smoliking and hairloss. Also 2 days of not smoking before the procedure?? İm already thinking about how can i stand for hours in a ht without smoking and nver heard anything about "2 days before " thing. Anyone knows about this??

It's interesting that you brought this up now as the issue of patients smoking is something that we're discussing within the clinic. Dr Rahal wants to start asking patients not to smoke before and after surgery.

I think the main issue is one of blood circulation. Smoking is known to have an effect on this (google relevant terms and you'll see) and obviously good blood circulation is important for good graft growth.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

İ have never heard anything about the relation bw smoliking and hairloss. Also 2 days of not smoking before the procedure?? İm already thinking about how can i stand for hours in a ht without smoking and nver heard anything about "2 days before " thing. Anyone knows about this??

I'm not a doctor so I can't explain the exact reason why a patient should refrain from smoking, but the preop instructions I was given by dr feller were to avoid alcohol and smoking 10 days before surgery. Not sure if a couple of smokes could derail a hair transplant though. I guess if your gonna spend a fortune on a ht, why risk anything even it if it's a small risk?

dr. charles,

i seriously doubt that.

matt,

is there a rule of dr.rahal about this? is he ever experienced a poor growth due to sigarette addiction? are patienrs allow to use nicotine patches during procedure??

addingly, id like to hear more about the other clinics procedures against smoking.

Hi azazelgs,

I don't think there has been any particular case that has caused Dr Rahal to introduce a 'smoking ban' on patients, it's just another thing that might help achieve the best result. It's felt that anything that can contribute to maximizing the success of a patient's investment is a worthwhile step to take.

It may be tough to get full compliance from patients but we hope that most will want to do their best.

And hey, most smokers want to quit so there's no better time.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread. I know that smoking cigarette's is terrible for your health in multiple ways. A huge contributor to the negative health results, are the carcinogens in cigarette's.

Here is my question, what about someone using a Nicotine patch, or an Electronic cigarette that delivers nicotine and water vapor only. Will Nicotine and other stimulants have a negative affect on the graft growth results? Just curious.

-Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

You can smoke while taking Finasteride. That is no problem. The problem is that nicotine constricts blood vessels, making for less bloodflow especially in the scalp, feet, and hands.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You can smoke while taking Finasteride. That is no problem. The problem is that nicotine constricts blood vessels, making for less bloodflow especially in the scalp, feet, and hands.

This is it. I may have said this already here, but I notice a definite difference in the blood flow to my hands when I quit smoking. A positive difference. It's possible for the scalp to be effected too.

As electronic cigarettes and nicotine patches introduce nicotine to the system, it's going to have the same effect as smoking - but perhaps to a lesser degree. I've used e-cigs and noticed an improvement in blood flow, but not total improvement. That was with max strength nicotine cartridges.