is strip scar visible when wet (shower, pool, beach, etc)?

curious if strip scar is visible to others when the hair is wet.

does it being "pencil-thin" or "matchbook match" sized affect visibility when wet?

generally curious how one finds this scar, too... if you run your fingers through your hair, is it noticeably distinct from other areas of hair?

Edited by disparateyouth

Mine isn't visible when wet even after 10,000 plus grafts. If I simply run my fingers through my hair, top to bottom or bottom to top, I cannot feel the scar. If I dig for it then I can find it and run my finger horizontal along the scar line and feel a slight difference but anyone complaining about this would be nitpicking it to death.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The scar should not be visible when your hair is wet; it really depends on the length of the hair. If the hair is long enough to cover it when dry then you hold be fine.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Remember that every patient has different healing properties. The technique used to suture the area and how much tension is present are the major factors that determine a scars appearence. Each patient will have to adjust a hair style that will cover up the scar. So like most things in life to get something you might have to give something up.

My scar is visible after a shower. It's partly due to the fact that it is still healing and slightly red - but my donor density is also slightly below average which contributes to this. I definitely will not be going swimming anytime soon - not that I really miss it. Remember, water clumps the hair together and makes the scalp far more noticeable than when the hair has dried.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

As Dr. Charles, says, there are no guarantees. We all heal differently. So no matter what they tell you, or show you in the 'gallery' remember that.

Also, when longer hair is combed up to 'reveal' the scar it graduates the scar appearance by shingling over it, making it look harmless. The same scar buzzed down is a very different situation, and many think, I'm safe only to get a rude awakening upon shaving it down.

As for me personally, for what little it is worth to you,

Most of my scarring is thin, pencil thin in many places, but it is the depression around the scar that makes it noticeable. It creates a valley.

Wet hair makes the strip scar(s) more obvious especially around the temples or sides because the hair tends to be shorter.