How important is graft placement??

I have read on many different posts here that docs often leave the placing of grafts to the techs perhaps checking every fifteen minutes or so,

i guess my question is what is the most important part of the procedure? is it taking the grafts in the first place , or the splitting of grafts or indeed the placement?

seeing as you are paying thousands of dollars one would expect the doctor to perform all of the procedure from start to finish or at least 90%.

as i say iv read lots of post were the docs in question ( some top class coalition ) delegate parts of the procedure out to others

i feel lucky that my doc did all of my procedure from start to finish and only left for ten mins or so.

i would fell terribly let down if my doc seemed to be away more than he was present during the procedure considering the large amount of cash handed over

Graft placement is very important but when it comes to high quality hair restoration with a decent number of grafts no one doctor should do the whole procedure. If you're talking about a few hundred grafts then sure, I can see this being possible, but when you're dealing with a few thousand or more grafts then it just does not make sense. The procedure would take far too long and the grafts would stand a larger chance of dying due to desiccation (drying). Fatigue is another factor to consider.

The better known clinics use technicians because it is the most efficient manner in which most hair transplants can be performed. Usually there are two technicians working in tandem at any given time and they rotate in and out to keep the fatigue factor down. In some clinics, when the doctor makes the incisions, they are made with custom cut flat blades (aka The Lateral Slit Technique) and these incisions dictate the angle and direction of how the grafts are placed. Performed properly the grafts cannot be placed in any other direction or angle.

When it comes to modern hair restoration better clinics will utilize a team approach to getting the job done. It's the same thing as playing a football game. There are multiple team members that have their own specialty and when working together they can get more done.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dingdong

Good question !! You beat me to it !!

My procedure lasted about 6.5 hours. Dr Saifi made ALL the incisions. For the placement of the grafts he was doing this with " the fit blonde one " All though he did do more. For approximately 30 mins he did dissappear, which I dont think is too bad for the 6.5 hours.

I understand that the incisions are the most important part. I dont know why. As surely the placement of the grafts are just important, because if you put them in at the wrong angle, the hair will not look unatural ?? Can anyone comment on this ??

Edited by Buzz2
Error with spelling

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

Jotronic

Can you confirm on this point : "and these incisions dictate the angle and direction of how the grafts are placed" Even though the incisions are made, surely they can still be put in the wrong angle by a tech ??Although unlikely with an experienced tech.

SO would you say the incision is more important than the placement ?? (if the docs do this ?)

Thanks !!

Edited by Buzz2
Left thanks out

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

Total 5134 grafts.

Dingdong

Good question !! You beat me to it !!

My procedure lasted about 6.5 hours. Dr Saifi made ALL the incisions. For the placement of the grafts he was doing this with " the fit blonde one " All though he did do more. For approximately 30 mins he did dissappear, which I dont think is too bad for the 6.5 hours.

I understand that the incisions are the most important part. I dont know why. As surely the placement of the grafts are just important, because if you put them in at the wrong angle, the hair will not look unatural ?? Can anyone comment on this ??

Jotronic is spot on, on this thread both my HT's with Dr Saifi were carried out by himself and two techs (Julita Krajewska the fit blonde buzz haha). Both of mine were 9hr procedure's including (lunch break and the odd break to stretch) On procedure's as long as these the Doc;s themselves could suffer with fatigue. I remember last year when i had my new hairline done, Dr Saifi was explaining to me the angle of the incisions for the hairline were lower at the front so that the hair grew out at a lower angle for a natural look. I guess if the incisions were just made directly into your head and not at a certain angle there would be no natural look ( bit like an action man doll lol) . Buzz tell your boys to go easy on us on Saturday.

Different clinics will use different tools for graft placement. In our clinic we use custom cut flat blades which are integral to the Lateral Slit Technique. Because these blades are custom cut during surgery to match the size of the grafts, both in width and length (for depth control), the incision is an exact fit for the graft. Once the incision is made the graft goes into the incision only at the same angle and direction that the incision is made (by the doctor). Of course, highly trained technicians are required to place the grafts as we have specific protocols for graft insertion. There is a lot more to it but you get the idea.

By the way, it's not fair to the readers to keep commenting on the "fit blonde". Pics or it didn't happen:)

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

By the way, it's not fair to the readers to keep commenting on the "fit blonde". Pics or it didn't happen:)

:D What he said!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I would much rather have two techs placing grafts in a rotation like most clinics do than to have the same people doing it through the whole procedure. I imagine the fatigue would lower the quality of the result. Not to mention that they probably go crosseyed every now and them!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

To me, the design of the hairline and the incisions are where the "talent" comes from in a good HT. Also, the surgeon I believe will usually make the decision on where the 1's, 2's, and 3's are placed which is key for naturalness, especially at the hairline. Sure, it's extremely important to have quality techs who are removing grafts and then planting them but a good clinic will have highly skilled and experienced techs who are going to do a great job on removing and implanting the grafts.

I have read on many different posts here that docs often leave the placing of grafts to the techs perhaps checking every fifteen minutes or so,

i guess my question is what is the most important part of the procedure? is it taking the grafts in the first place , or the splitting of grafts or indeed the placement?

seeing as you are paying thousands of dollars one would expect the doctor to perform all of the procedure from start to finish or at least 90%.

as i say iv read lots of post were the docs in question ( some top class coalition ) delegate parts of the procedure out to others

i feel lucky that my doc did all of my procedure from start to finish and only left for ten mins or so.

i would fell terribly let down if my doc seemed to be away more than he was present during the procedure considering the large amount of cash handed over

Hi Mate, I respect your point of few but it is not typical in the medical profession overall. There are many procedures and surgeries in which technicians who are trained professionals, nurses or various team members take part in the procedure. The amount of time in which the doctor who leads the team actively performs hands-on does not necessarily equate to better for the patient.

The truth is in large graft procedures a single person performing such a procedure is more challenging from the extended duration of the procedure. FUE surgeries can be particularly taxing.

Let's talk about which phase is most important. In a surgical procedure one phase cannot be more important than the other. Each phase performed with the highest care and expertise is what leads to highly successful results. Harvesting the hair to maximize grafts and minimize scarring is a phase that no doctor or patient would deem non-critical. Slicing or prepping the grafts for implantation is no less critical. Artfully creating the donor incisions is equally as important to achieve natural and undetectable results, as well as, optimizing the viability of the implanted grafts.

It is important for hair transplant candidates to make informed decisions on viable information germane to the medical procedure and the results they desire. I have great respect for your experience but it more atypical than typical for hair restoration surgeries. Most of the top surgeons worldwide employ highly skilled teams that include them and 3 to 5 technicians to expedite grafting, implantation for the benefit of the patient.

Edited by michaeljames

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

thanks your thoughts guys and michael james i tend to agree with you, i guess its a great team that brings the whole thing together. we prob tend to underestimate the work that the techs etc do and put all the praise and kudos upon the doc.

Delayed responsed but many thanks Jotronic , makes sense now.

Dingdong - I reckon the reason we had Dr Saifi do nearly all the work was down to the smal number of grafts we had.

Total 5134 grafts.