Impressive result of 2926 grafts by Dr. William Rassman of NHI

Hi Everyone!

We're not usually ones to be shocked by our own work, but this patients results are truly impressive. He came it with a pretty advanced case of MPB, but after only 2926 grafts this is the result. The photos are taken approximately one year apart. It's truly been a night and day change for this patient and he's extremely happy with the results. People have commented to him that he looks like a completely different, younger person.

I've added a photo of his scalp directly post-transplant so you can see graft placement. And as you might guess, his scalp laxity and blood flow must have been great to be able to take that many grafts with such a low level of what is normal graft loss. Remember, not every graft will take, for a variety of reasons.

Hope you've enjoyed the work, I know we certainly do!

Thanks for reading,

-Dr. William Rassman, New Hair Institute. New Hair Institute - Home

kfa_b01_lg.jpgkfa_a01_lg.jpg

kfa_b02_lg.jpgkfa_a02_lg.jpg

kfa_b03_lg.jpgkfa_a03_lg.jpg

And one post-op photo to show graft placement.

kfa_b04_lg.jpg

For the number of grafts, that looks great. I would, however, expect a 95 percent rate of the grafts taking on any patient. For the area, its not super densely packed so much that I would expect any measurable loss from a skilled surgeon.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am not overly new to these boards with number of posts, but I would like to advocate setting some standards in how clinics report results to this website (perhaps they already exist).

Bottom line: this is a great result--well done. I would be really happy with that result, as I suspect most patients would be.

But I fully agree with Spanker's comments above. Dr. Rassman is also well known for advocating

"bulk measurements" / is a proponent of measuring density, etc. There is another post just now by Dr. Feriduni which lists diameter measurements, donor density, etc.--this is very important for planning. But it seems like not all docs do this (measurements) and few provide it when showing results. Moreover, if showing before photos, can we not see a shot without the hair pulled back in place?

I am increasingly thinking that those docs who take the time to do these measurements, educate the patient about them, and report them are making the extra effort in long-term planning. While hair loss is unpredictable, there are some scientific applications which seem to mitigate poor results down the road. From the point of view of letting us know that this has been taken into account when reporting results, it serves as both education to us and a display of completeness of planning.

Others may feel differently, but remember, the stronger the market demand for standards, the better the outcome usually. This is an unregulated market, but boards like this are important tools to help provide consumer feedback and quality-assurance. Anyway, well done on the result.

For the number of grafts, that looks great. I would, however, expect a 95 percent rate of the grafts taking on any patient. For the area, its not super densely packed so much that I would expect any measurable loss from a skilled surgeon.

You're certainly right that the quality of the surgeon is a big factor in graft loss, but there are other factors too. Some people have very tight scalps, some are smokers and have poor blood flow to the grafts, etc. Not to mention that the care provided to the scalp post-transplant is absolutely crucial. I think of them like tattoos in a sense. You can have the best tattoo artist in the world doing work for you, but if you go home and neglect the crucial things you need to do to ensure that it heals properly, it will look terrible once it's fully healed.

There are just a lot of factors involved, not just the quality of the surgeon. Just thought I'd drop in my .02

-Mark

• 2 weeks later...

People often come on a write impressive and wow and stuff like that but this is deserves the title impressive!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Hi Everyone!

We're not usually ones to be shocked by our own work, but this patients results are truly impressive. He came it with a pretty advanced case of MPB, but after only 2926 grafts this is the result. The photos are taken approximately one year apart. It's truly been a night and day change for this patient and he's extremely happy with the results. People have commented to him that he looks like a completely different, younger person.

I've added a photo of his scalp directly post-transplant so you can see graft placement. And as you might guess, his scalp laxity and blood flow must have been great to be able to take that many grafts with such a low level of what is normal graft loss. Remember, not every graft will take, for a variety of reasons.

Hope you've enjoyed the work, I know we certainly do!

Thanks for reading,

-Dr. William Rassman, New Hair Institute. New Hair Institute - Home

kfa_b01_lg.jpgkfa_a01_lg.jpg

kfa_b02_lg.jpgkfa_a02_lg.jpg

kfa_b03_lg.jpgkfa_a03_lg.jpg

And one post-op photo to show graft placement.

kfa_b04_lg.jpg

I have never seen any real evidenc to suggest smokers get poorer results. I understand smoking restricts blood flow, but the scalp is extremely vascular. Do doctors get together and pools results and write research papers on these kinds of things? Or does one person just say it and it gets repeated over and over?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

This is GREAT for 2926 grafts! Very natural as usual, Dr. Rassman!

While Spanker makes a valid point, and Dr. Rassman has stated the issue of smoking after a transplant, I've read Dr. Lindsey's concerns about smoking after surgery also. Dr. Lindsey's opinion is enough for me. I don't smoke, but I'd do my best not to if I were a smoker and had transplant surgery!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D