UPDATED: Photos -- 3800 grafts w/ Dr. Hasson

hair_me_out

Hi Megatron,

Yeah, I know it's hard to tell since I"ve grown my hair out. But I was sick of keeping it at around 1/4" to 1/2" -- I know this kinda of throws off the "apples to apples" comparison but I wanted to see now what I could do with my hair grown out as intended.

I am happy with the results so far, yes. Hairline was not lowered, no. Temples and frontal 1/3 were filled in. See my blog photos for placement of graft photos.

HMO

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

I just added 5 more photos showing the hairline and scar (by pulling my hair back to reveal them). Hopefully this will be helpful for people to better judge. Click on the link in my sig to see.

As you can see, the right side of the hairline is fuller than the left. I think this is due to a small scar that I got early in life. You can make it out on the left side. That's my theory, at least. As far as the scars, I think they may have stretched a bit but it's hard to say for sure. Let me know what you think.

Fingers: Yes, people have complimented it, which is great!

hair_me_out

thanks for the new photos. I think now I can definitely see an improvement in the temple region especially where there was no hair before. do you feel like there has been added density to the front forelock area? I ask because I know a lot of people trying to thicken up existing hair regions complain about a lack of improvement.

Yes, the front forelock is much more dense than it was before the surgery. I know this because this was really the only part of my hair that I could style pre-op so I got to know it well. So I can say that's improved a lot. What I couldn't tell you is about the density in the back of the frontal 1/3rd. I never really scrutinized this area before and it's hard to see.

hair_me_out

Looks like a big improvement since pre-op! I guess you've already started to forget how it used to look before.

Do you have fine hair? I ask because I thought it would be a little denser, but its still very good and looks natural.

It would be great if you could do one final buzz cut near the 12 month mark so you can do an apples-to-apples comparison with earlier pics.

Yes, the front forelock is much more dense than it was before the surgery. I know this because this was really the only part of my hair that I could style pre-op so I got to know it well. So I can say that's improved a lot.

glad to hear it, good for you man and best of continued luck

Looks like a big improvement since pre-op! I guess you've already started to forget how it used to look before.

Do you have fine hair? I ask because I thought it would be a little denser, but its still very good and looks natural.

It would be great if you could do one final buzz cut near the 12 month mark so you can do an apples-to-apples comparison with earlier pics.

As far as how fine my hair is... on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being fine and 10 being coarse) I'd say it's about a 6 or 7. As of right now, I'd agree with you -- I especially feel like the left temple density is a little disappointing. I'm going to give it until 12 months though to make a final judgement on that.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Well, as of today it's been ONE YEAR since my HT with Dr. Hasson! I just took a bunch of photos and updated my blog, please see my sig for the two batches of 1-year photos.

Overall, I have to say I'm happy, but do have concerns. I'd say I'm probably on the lower end of H&W results, which is a bit of a bummer considering how many awesome results I've seen from Dr. Hasson.

I'll just paste my blog entry so I don't repeat myself here:

Well as of today it's been one year since I had my HT with Dr. Hasson. Since then I've waited patiently and here are the results. As you can probably see, the right temple and scar seem pretty good. It's pretty difficult for me to find the scar on the right sometimes so that's a good thing. Sadly, things on the left temple and left scar aren't quite as good. You can see that the scar on the left side of the head has stretched. It's to the point where it makes me self-conscious, so that's not good. In addition, the density in that left temple is a little sparse. I'd guesstimate that only about 60% of the grafts survived.

I've been in contact with Jotronic from H&W about my concerns on that left side and he's been extremely accessible and even called me to discuss it two months ago. He's basically said that if I'm unhappy they will make it right. So today I sent these photos off to him and Dr. Hasson and I'd like to see what they think about it. I don't think I'm being too negative and I think my expectations are reasonable. Had the left side come in as well as the right side, I'd be happy as a clam right now. The thought of maybe having to fix this issue with more work pains me. It's not something I want to go through again, but if I must I must. We'll see. I will keep everyone posted with what the next steps are, if any. More to come...

For these photos, I cut my hair to 1/2" on the sides and 1" on the top.

Let me know what you think. Am I being too negative? Am I right to be concerned about that left side? Would you be happy w/ the density and the scar?

hair_me_out

Edited by hair_me_out

looks good. i think u should grow you hair longer as you can see the scar when its that short. also the parting your hair right in the middle like that doesnt look that good either, just my opinion though.

i agree with you that for 3800 graphs i thought u would get a wayyy denser result. looks more like a 2500 graph result.

i feel that there is an improvement how ever for the amount of grafts i think ur justified to expect more density as its a little thin behind the front 3/rd and in the center............

i think if you didnt use a center parting and grew it all a little longer to conceal the scars it would look really good! the ression and temples are way better abit of length would work wonders:D

Hi everyone,

It's with relief that I share some news. I sent the one year photos and my concerns about the left temple density and left scar to Joe and Dr. Hasson at H&W and they're going to give me a "touch up procedure" (at no additional cost to me other than what I've already paid a year ago) in which they'll revise the scar on the left side and beef up the left temple with ~100 grafts. I'm all scheduled for December 9th -- just around the corner. So, Vancouver hasn't seen the last of me. I'm glad H&W are standup people who do the right thing. Overall I'm glad I went with H&W and this is just another reason to go to the best for your HT and not to cheap out on some no-name no-reputation operation. My experience has been that they'll do whatever it takes for you to be happy in the end.

I will post more photos after the 9th and keep everyone updated.

Take care,

hair_me_out

Edited by hair_me_out

IMO for the ammount of grafts that were used this case, the results are below average, Sure there is improvenent, but when someone goes to Hasson and pays for 4000 grafts for example, a reasonable expectation whould be 90% yield at least. while a free touch up will most likely accomplish your goals it is still a surgery that u have to do, wait for the results etc.

There seems to be some inconsistency to a "more than a few" cases from Dr. Hasson which is being observed in the last 12-15 months or so.

You do have an improvement, but it definitely doesnt represent 90% + yield (based on the before and after pics u posted) and considering the huge ammount of grafts and your pre op condition this is definitely not a succesfull (IMO) investment for you . This surgery should have achieved the goals it was made for and not to require additional session.

I whould mind having this scar btw .......

Edited by Tsakalos

Tsakalos: Thank you for your honestly and for being so direct. I appreciate that and I agree that the left temple is below average but the right temple has come in pretty well as I expected. But I did talk to Joe @ H&W about my concerns on the one temple and scar and I'm glad that they're offering the free touch-up. Based on the photo results I"ve seen on this forum and others, I think Dr. Hasson is one of the best in the world. I think my result in the one temple and the scar weren't quite as good as other Hasson results I've seen. Hopefully this touch-up will solve that.

Youonlyliveonce: Well, on the bright side Joe has told me that this one will be much smaller, faster, and easier to recover from. I am glad that Dr. Hasson is offering the touch-up and I hope my goals will be realized once this surgery is over and the results come in. Keep checking my blog for photo updates.

hair_me_out

Edited by hair_me_out

Hairmeout,

I'm glad the scheduling worked out for you. We look forward to seeing you again, regardless of the circumstances:)

Hairlosscured,

A touch up means we are performing a small procedure to add more hair to the side that Hairmeout is concerned about. We expect about 100 grafts will be needed which isn't much at all. And while the donor scar isn't a disaster on the side that concerns him it is still something that can be improved upon so we are doing that as well. This is free of charge and we are happy to do this so that the patient is where he wants to be in relation to his reasonable expectations. Any reputable clinic will have no problem doing something like this. It's just good business and, ultimately, the right thing to do.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yea I know, sorry about that. I have been really busy because I'm in grad school and I haven't had much free time. My semester ends in 2 weeks so I'll update it then when I have some free time. To be honest, some days it looks good and other days it doesn't. The right side of my hairline still lacks density in comparison to my left side. I still have 2 more months of thickening left so we'll see.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just got back from Vancouver where I had my Touch-Up Procedure with Dr. Hasson. He ended up revising the whole scar and transplanting 760 grafts in a horse-shoe shape around my hairline. Posted a couple post-op photos to my blog. Link is in my sig.

Dr. Hasson is having me leave the staples in longer this time in the hopes of the scar not stretching. He recommended 3-4 weeks and I'm going to keep them in for the full 4 weeks.

hair_me_out

Your hair looks great to my eye, and it's definitely decent of them to do a revision. One question, though - how do you hide staples in your head for a month? ;)

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »