FUE Neograft without a doctor.

I was looking to get a bunch of consults in the my area, which is San Francisco.

I called Dr. Kang (Link removed by moderator)

They said the doctors does not actually do the the hair transplant. They said a bunch of technicians fly in from the east coast for one week a month, and they do everything. He supervises them.

What is the deal? Are hair transplants really done by technicians and not by the doctors? The website says Dr. Kang did a residency in general surgery but not plastic surgery.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

That was the way I understood it as well. Where I live I went to several consultations with surgeons in my area. One did the Neograft and had to get techs from either Atlanta, Florida or California to come in and operate the instrument. All the physician would do would be to draw the line on your head and supervise the techs. Charged $5/graft.

Another local plastic surgeon in the area chrged $4/graft for the srtip procedure and $8/fraft for FUE. Still he had two techs come in from Los Angeles to do most of the procedure. All he did would be to remove the strip and close the wound and make the recepient sites.

There are several physicians that are recomended on this site that will perform the procedure for $3/graft strip procedure and $7 for FUE. for the cost savings you could fly to your desired location and make a vacation out of it and have your procedure performed by highly qualified personnel.

Generally surgeons do the extraction & the incisions. If its strip the doctor cuts the strip out, stitches or staples the area he/she removed the strip from. Then makes the incisions. My doctor spent 4 hours doing all of this. The other 6 hours were spent with the techs inserting the grafts & giving me short breaks to stretch my legs & eat.

Can't have techs performing the actual surgery, it's an operation.

Edited by Dutch

I thought it was the law that a doctor had to make any incisions on a person??

Olmert, I do not like the sound of this. There are many great docs in Cali.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

If you are looking to have a decent hairtransplant surgery, you have to make sure that the surgeon working on your head specializes in hairtransplantation. That means that the doctor only has his or her clinic set up for hairtransplant, has experience in the field for many years and has full time technicians working at the clinic. If a doctor is flying people to help that means that hairtransplant is not their main specialization. That also means the doctor does not have enough clients for hair transplant to hire full time technicians and if they dont have enough clients they do not have the experience to do a good job. Also the technicians work is questionable as well. If technicians work in the same place for the same doctor, there is oversight and accountability therefore in general they do a better job.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

If you are looking to have a decent hairtransplant surgery, you have to make sure that the surgeon working on your head specializes in hairtransplantation. That means that the doctor only has his or her clinic set up for hairtransplant, has experience in the field for many years and has full time technicians working at the clinic. If a doctor is flying people to help that means that hairtransplant is not their main specialization. That also means the doctor does not have enough clients for hair transplant to hire full time technicians and if they dont have enough clients they do not have the experience to do a good job. Also the technicians work is questionable as well. If technicians work in the same place for the same doctor, there is oversight and accountability therefore in general they do a better job. Here is a link that may help you choose a doctor Hair Transplant Doctor| Hair Transplant surgery Clinic, Hair Restoration Surgery Doctor | hairtrans

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

Athena this is a link to help the poster chose your doctor. So its biast in my views. Would it be better to say hi I work for Dr. Meshkin (who is a good doctor) and say this is a link to his website take a look and see what you think, I would be happy to answer any questions your have.

As for Neograft I am unaware of any doctor that is recommended that uses it. Top doctors like Shapiro, Feller, Rahal and other that perform fue are not using it. If indeed it works as great as they say it would save them alot of time and heachaches.

Just my opinion.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

olmert,

In my opinion, be very careful with the FUE NeoGraft hair transplant machine. It's very overhyped and often marketed to the neophyte surgeon. In my opinion, only a skilled and experienced hair transplant surgeon with the assistance of a skilled surgical team should be performing hair transplant surgery.

I recommend reading the following articles for more information.

Can the NeoGraft Hair Transplant Machine Revolutionize Follicular Unit Extraction?

NeoGraft: A Revolutionary FUE Follicular Unit Extraction Hair Transplant Machine?

Best wishes,

Bill

Neograft is just a way to do FUE more efficiently. From what I took from my research the instrument is a punch with a vacuum that sucks the graft into a holding reservoir. The operation of the instrument is performed by techs. The recipient sites should be performed by the physician and the placement of the grafts is a team effort of the techs.

The strip is still the gold standard from what I have read.

The NeoGraft puts grafts under 3 different types of stresses during extraction. I do not like the concept at all.

Dr. Harris uses the ARTAS system and I've seen good results by him using it.

If a doctor is flying people in to do hair transplants then it sounds like a hair mill to me and those are the ones you definitely want to avoid.

Like Athena said, you prefer a doctor who does only hair transplants, and has techs who have been with him for many years.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dont get me wrong, I am not a supporter of the Neograft system. Like I said from my research the strip method and FUT is the gold standard.

The two doctors that I was referring to earlier are plastic surgeons. I did not choose either to do my procedure because they do not perform the procedures full time. They do not have the expierence I am looking for in order to do the jod.

Where I live there are no recomended HT surgeons so I will have to travel. I only found this site about a month ago. I have been researching the procedure for a few months and have learned a lot mostly from this site.

I am going to travle to Boca Raton at the end of the summer to have my procedure.