What's your opinion on my transplant repair?

I had two transplants done - the first was about 20 years ago and the second about 12 years ago. The second surgery was to correct the original transplant, but it didn't really do anything. I visited 3 different doctors ... one wants to core old plugs and put 1500 grafts in the frontal forlock. Another one wants to camoflauge it with 2000 grafts without any plug removal. The third one wants to camoflauge it with 400 single hairs in the front followed by double & triple micro-grafts between the plugs with about 1500 total grafts. Here are my pictures ... do you think the camoflauge technique would work without a plug removal? The first picture is my normal style. The other two pictures are with wet hair to show the plugs. (I'm not concerned about the crown - just the front looking normal)

IMG_2809.jpg.0f5a68251b0843d6aaa3fc3fb71a4216.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg.13b2a2b0726c6ad501d04f8cd1b38939.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg.a36d10fcada0b5a12de9ab5265965db8.jpg

Your old transplants actually look very good considering they were done in the mini/micrograft era. I would go with the doctor who wants to camouflage with 2000 grafts, ASSUMING he is a recommended doctor on here! PLEASE choose a doctor who has been prescreened by the HTN, or you may end up with another problem. I'm sure there are good doctors out there who aren't on here, but you won't know until it's too late.

I see you are in PA. You are actually very close to Dr. Lindsey, who is a master at repairs. He is in Northern Virginia, Mclean, VA. to be exact. Or you could travel to New York and see Dr. Feller, who is one of the best also.

Edited by RCWest

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

thanks for you opinions. the first two doctors are coalition doctors. the third one is not, but has been doing hair transplants for about 15 years and his pictures of some of his repairs looked pretty good. the third dr. is quite a bit less money, but i know cost should not influence my decision.

I agree with Dutch and RCWest. The plugs don't look too bad at all - the only issue with them is that they seem to have been planted in a straight line, which will easily be camouflaged by a further procedure (your new surgeon will design a zig-zag hairline for a natural look). I wouldn't say you need to have any of them removed. The end result after having 1500-2000 will be a more natural look and much better density.

In terms of the grafts themselves, every well regarded doctor I know places grafts with single hairs (1's) in the hairline, or the 'feather zone' as it's called, to achieve a natural and non-pluggy look.

Then, they use grafts with multiple hairs (2's, 3's, and 4's) further back, to achieve the density. So, for example, the first cm or so of your hairline, going back, may have 30 grafts per square centimetre, but all single hair grafts (1's), to give you 30 hairs per sq cm. Then, behind that (the next 2cm or so), they may place 20 grafts per square centimetre, but using 2's, giving you 40 hairs per sq cm. Further back they will utilise any 3's or 4's you have. This is the accepted approach of all the top surgeons, and I assume that the first two surgeons you mention will definitely do it this way.

In terms of the money, I honestly think you know already from your own experiences that if you save money on anything in life, a hair transplant isn't the place to do it. I would go with one of the approved doctors who you have consulted with who has lots of case studies on here.

If you live close to Dr Lindsey, send your pictures across to him or to Spex.

He is a excellent surgeon in your area.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I would certainly be looking at Dr Lindsey. If he says excise grafts, I wouldnt think twice about it! If he says leave them in and we will camoflauge, well then that answers that as well. Good luck!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

You should definitely avoid having micrografts. There's really no reason why they should be used. Also, in my opinion, your current hairline doesn't look nearly bad enough to necessitate the removal of any of the existing work. Camouflaging them should be enough.

That's just going by the photos you've posted. They aren't super-clear so if you send photos to doctors then you should attempt to make them as clear as possible. It could be that there's a very good reason why one doctor wants to core out the plugs.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

You shouldn't excise anything, you likely have good donor and with a large enough session you can completely fill in, and around, all the mini/micro grafts. If you opt for FUE and want to avoid another strip scar, Dr. Umar is who I would recommend, he is doing my repair and using multiple sources, the results thus far are great and continue to improve.

I would eliminate the doctor who wanted to core the grafts, and the third doctor should also be eliminated, the one who is "cheaper" and wants to use "mini grafts".

I might have the wrong terminology. the third doctor wants to put singles in the front followed by grafts with 2 3 and possibly 4 hairs as you go back into the hairline. whether thats called micro- grafts im not sure. I really appreciate all your comments, im just scared of making a mistake and im trying to decide if I want to do this in the spring or put it off till later

I might have the wrong terminology. the third doctor wants to put singles in the front followed by grafts with 2 3 and possibly 4 hairs as you go back into the hairline. whether thats called micro- grafts im not sure. I really appreciate all your comments, im just scared of making a mistake and im trying to decide if I want to do this in the spring or put it off till later

Not many top Docs are using mini grafts anymore, he could have said 2, 3, 4 hair follicular units. In any case you are in a very good position as when you have your hair combed normally you can't see the plugs and your hair looks great!!

Go to any top Doc and they will sort you out and make you like like a star with 2000 grafts in your hairline. I doubt that you would need to have any previous grafts extracted as 2000 grafts or so would serve as camouflage very nicely.

Good luck!!