Looking for help...

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a long time. I used to post under the same name about 3 years ago on HLH before getting kicked off by Farrell for posting my negative views on HT's. Since then I've stayed off the boards, tried to stop thinking about my hairloss, and life was good. Unfortunately, what do you know...I started losing more hair.

I first started losing my hair my senior year of high school, but never noticed it. By the time I was 19, I had a pretty pronounced NW2-3 hairline. For my 19th birthday, I asked my Mom for propecia. How f'd up is that! However, it never regrew my temples and my receding hairline constantly nagged me.

I freaked out and would do anything to fix my one problem. After seeing the infomercials, I went to Bosley. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!! At the ripe old age of 21 I received 700 grafts in my front hairline and temples. Not one second of every day goes by that I don't regret this decision. I am constantly paranoid if people know I've had this done, if they can see my "plugs, and how much of a freak I will look in the future as my hair loss progresses. So much for getting this surgery to forget about hairloss. Now I think about it even more.

I was hoping my hairloss would stabilize for 5-10 years and I could hold out for HM or some better MPB treatment. Unfortunately, I recently lost quite a bit of hair on my hairline, and I am forced to tweez out the existing grafts, leaving only pits that I cover up with a horrible hair style. Basically, I'm much worse off than where I started.

I'm not going to get into my views on this procedure and this corrupt industry, because I don't want to get kicked off again and I'm doomed to continue getting HT's to keep a somewhat normal appearance. I simply question how natural HT's really look even from so called top docs. My biggest problem is that I have fine, blonde hair, and all of my grafts are darker and thicker than my natural hairline hairs and stick out. I have yet to see a transplanted hairline that overcomes this inherent HT flaw. And transplanted hairs maturing and matching native hairs in time is BS. I've had these grafts for 5 years and they look just as bad as when they first grew. When you take thick, non-MPB donor hairs out of the back of your head, and move them to the front, they will not match. Plus, my sides and back are darker than my front.

I have taken pictures and am trying to start an album, but the files are too big. I would love some help on how to make them smaller so I can show you guys what I'm dealing with. I'm really looking for advice from people who have been in a similar situation, and have found a solution to move on with their lives. 26 is too young to be worrying about hairloss, much less a bad HT. I just want my life back. Any advice, comments, words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

HTNONO,

Welcome to our community. If you are here seeking genuine help, the members of this community will certainly be happy to do what we can to help and support you.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with hair transplant surgery. Dealing with hair loss is certainly hard enough. Whether or not another hair transplant is the solution for you, I don't know. But today's state of the art techniques have helped many hair loss sufferers and those in need of repair get both their hair and their lives back.

The fastest and easiest way to resize your photos is by downloading and using a program called Irfranview. However, I am not sure if there's a free version of the program available anymore. Photos attached to a discussion thread have to be under 300K and in a photo album, have to be under 500K. If you're still having difficulty, I can help you resize them. If you email them to me directly at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com, I can resize them and email them back to you.

Best wishes,

Bill

HTNONO,

Thanks for coming on and sharing your story. I feel your pain as I also went to Bosley many years ago shortly after turning 20. My hair was honestly great upon reflection, but that didn't stop them from happily forcing some grafts in. But, time moves on and I must focus on the positives, not the things I can not change.

So, I've had a couple of recent corrective procedures to (a) thicken up my hairline and (b) hide the old Bosley work.

Bill is right when he mentions Irfanview - it's great. A solid source is www.download.com which is a reputable site. Just put in "irfanview" and download the software. It's free and simple to use.

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Thanks for the swift replies guys. Bill, I just sent you some pics via email. M&M, I've followed your story and am glad you have found help after Bosley. It angers me so much every time I read about people's negative experience with that clinic. I can't believe they've been allowed to butcher so many people for so long. I look forward to posting pics to get your opinions. I tried that irfanview software, but still couldn't resize my pics.

Once you're in Irfanview, simply open the image you want to resize, then hit "CTRL-R" for "resize", and input the width between 600 to 800. The height will adjust to keep everything in proportion.

Then, hit "S" for "save as" so you don't overwrite your original file. Good luck!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

• Moderators

Although I did not go to Bosley (that would have been an improvement), I had a session size of just 12 grafts, one for 30 grafts, one for 40 grafts, and several in the 50 to 65 range. I know exactly what you're saying about it being a big mistake... however I don't feel it was MY mistake. I'm not a Dr. They should have (and did) know that what they were doing could not possibly work, yet they performed the surgery anyway telling me I would get a full head of natural hair.

Don't ever feel it was your mistake even though many people will try to tell you that it was you who didn't do enough research. That's bull. If a Dr lies to you, it is THAT Dr who is at fault. It is illegal for them to do that. You should NEVER have to visit several Drs and then be held accountable for deciding which ones are lying and which ones are not.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks again for all the responses guys. I just posted an album under another thread, "From Bosley with Love." Unfortunately, I can't get it to load when I try to open it up. Maybe you can help Bill? Behappy, I couldn't agree with you more. It makes me sick when I see a victim who gets blamed for, "not doing enough research." When you are young, desperate, and a Dr. tells you you are a perfect candidate, and can get a full head of hair, it's hard to say no.

When your pics finally get the pics uploaded we can know for sure; but from the descriptions you've given I think BHUK could be an *excellent* comparison for you based on NW levels, quality of work, and issues to henceforth be dealt with.

Actual blame should *only* be hoisted upon the doctors performing horrorshow work, but with the right resource of information given to you yourself, as a patient, you can end up getting past these docs even if you were already unfortunate so as to fall prey to their abuse.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill,

When you get a chance can you see what is wrong with my album? I don't know why it doesn't load. I uploaded 10 pictures.

Than,

I have followed BHUK's case closely. I have much more native hair than him, but it is thinner, and more blonde. Also, once again, I find his hairline to be harsh. Don't get me wrong, it is an unbelievable change from his previous bad work, and I am happy for him that he has gotten his life back. He shows some picks on HLH with his hair pulled back and admits himself that it is not completely natural. The grafts are thicker and darker than his native hair.

The guy lost 14 years of his life to get a transplanted head of hair. IMO, it's not worth it. Once again, this is my opinion. I realize that I have unrealistic expectations, but I was lied to when I went into this.

Hopefully, when my album works, you can see what I'm dealing with. Unfortunately, the pics don't really show how bad it is in reality.

HTNONO,

Totally sucks to hear about your situation and I know how it feels to be self-conscious about shoddy work. The best thing you can do is post up your pics (which I see you are doing) and get some great feedback on this forum. Additionally, start contacting the top docs and meet with them, speak with them, to see if they think your problem can be remedied. Don't just go to one great doc but a handful. But the only way to fix your problem is to get a quality HT. And a quality HT is not impossible to achieve. Or... you can go the wig route... who wants that?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

HTNONO,

I see that you created an album and for some reason, the photos aren't showing. I looked at the album you created and apparently, you didn't use the resized photos I sent you, but added photos that were very close to 500K in size. This apparently prevented it from loading properly. Upon trying to delete them and add the ones I sent you, the album crashed. I think that's because typically only the creator of the album can really edit or add images. Even an administrator like me can't do it thanks to the ridiculous programming. Thus, I've removed the album since it was irreparable by the time I was done with it.

Please go ahead and create a new album in the "Hair Restoration Results Posted by Patients" section of the forum and use the photos I sent you that were approximately only 100K a piece in size.

All the Best,

Bill

Alright, I give up on trying to make an album, nothing is working. So, I made a website. Please look at my pictures and let me know what you think. I'm looking forward to everyones comments, suggestions.

I definitely see your problems, though it seems you can hind them alright by being careful; as far as repair cases go, you are as close to a slam-dunk as I've ever seen.

IMHO, no reason why 1 world-class HT won't give you a really great density restoration, and also improve the naturalness of your existing head of hair.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

HTNONO,

I have to admit, I expected a lot worse seeing some of your posts on Hair Loss Help. Personally, I believe a small procedure of 1200 grafts or even less with a first-rate physician can give you a natural looking result that blends right in with the rest of your natural hair.

Remember that hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of pattern baldness. Thus, in the event your hair continues to thin, you may need subsequent procedures to add density into thinning areas. If you're not currently on Propecia and/or Rogaine to help slow down or stop the progression of pattern baldness, I'd encourage you to talk to a physician and consider it.

All the Best,

Bill

Thanks for the advice guys. In reality, the pictures don't show the unnaturaleness or pits very well. Also, my entire frontal forelock has drastically thinned in the past six months. In a few of the frontal pictures where I have my hair pulled back, you can see the pits and grafts that I have to tweez where my hairline used to be in May. I've lost about an inch in front of my hairline in that short amount of time.

I am VERY concerned about future loss. Even if I fill in the hairline and temples, what happens if I go to a NW5 or more? It's apparent to me that the meds aren't holding up well.

Bill, I know it seems like I overreacted on HLH, but I was very young at the time. I have been on propecia for the past 4 years and the effects are starting to wear off. I was doing fine earlier this year when my hair was holding up. Also, it's my opinion that I should have never been given this procedure. I was only 21, with limited loss, and an ethical doctor should have turned me away. For someone concerned about their looks, I basically spent a lot of money to look much worse.

Lastly, even if I get another procedure, how natural will it really look? My hairline hair is very fine and delicate, if I put 1200 thick donor grafts up there, I believe it will stand out. I wish I could be more optimistic. If I had better hair characteristics, or was a candidate for natural density, maybe this could sway my decision. Maybe a Dr. could chime in with some advice.

Hi

Having a bad HT is like dating a bad woman. You have the propensity to consequently hate all women and think all are the same.

Rest assured this is not the case ( with the HT doctors haha)

This is why selecting the right doctor is so important. I have had 3 HT's with the same doctor and no doubt it is the best decision I ever made. I have had not 1 single person even imply I had work done.

This is due to the fact it is undetectable

Have faith, select a qualified doctor, and fix your problem if you see fit.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Moderators

I just looked at your pictures. Your hair does not look bad at all. It's certainly not what you make it out to be (although I realize pictures don't always show the full story). Yes it's somewhat thin, but it's 5 years later. You have to expect to lose some original hair you had prior to the HT in a 5 year period. I would not call what you need a repair. Almost everyone is going to need follow-up work over the years as they lose additional hair. This is something everyone who undergoes a HT needs to be aware of.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Well, HTNONO, the only thing I can say is that you probably didn't do enough research icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, but truthfully, your result doesn't look as terrible as you're describing it. It's not great, but it's not catastrophic, and of course I would never go back to Bosley. Seriously, get yourself scheduled with a great doc (Feller/H&W/Shapiro, amongst others), and have your hair situation revisited. I've had HT's with both H&W and Feller, both are excellent, and the ony reason I didn't go back to H&W was because of the distance (Feller is in my proverbial back yard, and 7 years ago, I hadn't heard of Fellers great work). One comment you mentioned that I completely agree with, and Dr. Hasson mentioned as well, and that is that the transplanted hair is definitely thicker and has a different characteristic than the surrounding native hair. I do think it evens out a little bit over time, but it will never have the same exact characteristics as the original hair (in my case, my HT has all been in the hairline area). But, once you've started, you're in the game for a long time. I am a super slow receder, and I'm sure religious use of Minox/Propecia are responsible for that, but I know I'm now committed to the occasional (once every 5 year) "tune-up". It's not so bad, and it could be worse, you could be bald. Good luck.

Manko

Thanks again guys for all the replies. I know my situation doesn't look that bad with the pictures I posted, but I can't stress enough how unnatural it looks in person. Also, I am very concerned with how quickly my frontal forelock has thinned out.

Mr. Jobi, I agree there are good surgeons out there doing the best they can with modern technology and the limitations of this procedure. You state that a good surgeon can give you "undedectable" results. I believe that is true only for the right candidates.

I simply don't believe I am a good candidate. My hair is so thin that I would need a lot of grafts to get anywhere close to a full head of hair. Also, like Manko described, the transplanted hair does not completely match the native hair. This is my biggest concern. Even if I packed 3000 grafts to my hairline and temples, it would stand out and therefore would be very detectable.

I would be more optimistic if there were more people posting results with my similar hair characteristics, light, fine, blonde hair, but there aren't many examples. Maybe someone could prove me wrong.

There was a recent dude who went to Rahal that got a sweet hairline and he had thin/fine/light hair. He posted this week.

-----------

The more I think about it, HTNO, even *if* you can't seamlessly replicate your pre-MPB hairline, a good repair session should still *improve* your current level of naturalness, *while* also giving you a true density boost.

-----------