Dr Rahal 1413 FUE February 2012

HookHairs

Hi All,

I just got my third FUE surgery on 22nd February 2012, this time in Ottowa with Dr Rahal, hoping I'll finally get a great hairline. After researching the forums and consulting with Spex and Armani back in 2009, I felt that Dr Feller was the man for FUE. Although I thought his website was dated and basic, the forums were generally positive about his work and ethics. He'd also brought out his revolutionary powered FUE tool so I naturally thought he was up there at the forefron of FUE. The surgery seemed to go well, althoughI have to say that the aftercare instructions werent great and consisted of a sheet of instructions that had been photocopied so many times they were on a slant, for 10$ a graft it wasnt the experience I expected. I followed the instructions but shed really early and saw whole grafts with bulbs and tissue coming out in the shower after only a few days. I spoke to Spex but was told that because there was no blood it was fine... As the months went on, dried dead grafts rolled out of my skin like blackheads, it was a pretty harrowing experience and embarrassing but I was told to be patient and wait 12 months.

By 12 months the result was shocking, my hair was no different to pre-op but I now had redness, pitted skin and ?8k less. If you'd like to see the pre-op photos take a look at my profile. I contacted Spex and after some diplomatic bargaining, Dr Feller agreed to do a free FUE touch up in March 2011. This time around he was quite negative about FUE saying he has to have his arm twisted behind his back in order to carry it out as its much less reliable than strip. Nonetheless, I didnt want strip so we did FUE again but with a difference as obviously there was no point doing exactly the same again. Thistime around the FUE grafts were extracted using a manual punch, the grafts were left in their natural groupings, not broken down and more tissue (fat) was left around the grafts. After this session everything went so much better, I didnt shed for weeks, some of my grafts didnt shed at all. Of my own doing, I used Vit e oil on the grafts and kept them moist which I think helps. I had a much better yield, I was delighted with what a difference it made. The problem was however, Dr Feller narrowed the hairline arc this time so I was left with the untidy sprouty hairline from the first op. Also, one side had yielded much better than the other for some reason.

So, to get things tidied up I had to have what I hope is one last op so I had to choose wisely. Dr Feller kindly offered me a reduced rate but I decided to go elsewhere. I travelled to Belgium to meet with Dr Bisanga who was very professional, he uses a manual punch and has consistent results. I was impressed with the setup at his surgery and the consultation was very thorough, I would certainly trust him but... although he doesnt have lots of results yet, I took my chance on Dr Rahal in Ottowa. Chad his patient coordinator told me that Dr Rahal is now getting consistent FUE yields at the same level as his strip 95-100%. Who doesnt love rahals hairline designs and density too? So that was it, I managed to get a late booking and two weeks later I was there. I explained to Dr Rahal how important this op was to me due to the number of times, donor concern etc. Rahal drew me a hairline we both agreed on, he explained that I couldnt have lower temple work because of my blonde/fair temples and dark thick donor which wouldnt match, which was perfectly logical, then we got started. I was a little concerned to discover that Dr Rahal uses a powered punch, the Harris SAFE system rather than a manual punch. However, this isnt the Feller punch and he explained that hes had all of his consistent results with this device, it was a bit late to turn around now... regardless I felt assured.

Here are myphotos of pre-op, immediate post op and seven days post op. The surgery went extremely well and its now day 7, it seems a lot of the hairs are still growing, Ive had one or two sheds of hairs from day 3 onwards but only one with a bulband tissue attached. To be honest, Im thrilled with the hairline, if this grows out fully then Ill be ecstatic. I'll update in the usual intervals, three months, six months etc.

IMG_3378.jpg.5cc074a58753fb8dd181aa775a6e95db.jpg

5b32d1b8b743a_twodayspostIMG_3080(8).jpg.50c0a073bb35c50c3005abd55fc0aa15.jpg

5b32d1b8c85d1_Day7.jpg.ecdce20d6971d77ae0662928a680954a.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg.27a792358e194b49584374a8cf1dbeee.jpg

Edited by HookHairs
Grammatical

Most guys on this board would be lucky to have your hair!

Thank you for posting pics, since there is some negativity from you against Dr. Feller. I have heard very few bad reviews from Dr. Feller, but they do seem to exist. Most members on here highly regard Dr. Feller.

From the pics you have posted, you look to have a really good head of hair. Other than the very frontal hairline, which doesn't seem to have any work done to it, your hair looks solid. Dr. Rahal is the master of hairlines so you did great in going to him to get that done.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Looking at your website, your description of your results seem to be accurate. For almost 40, you have great hair. I hope my hair looks that good when I am your age.

I have only seen one thread in almost 2 years where a Rahal patient was not totally satisfied. I think he was a late bloomer and was enventually ok with his results. Lately, you can't find results better than what Dr Rahal has been putting out. You really are in good hands. Also, I can't tell the difference in Dr R's fue and fut results. I don't know what he is doing, but I know it is working.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for your comments RC, my recession was slow fortunately but I got to the stage at 36 where my hair just wouldnt style and I had to wear it short or it looked untidy. My profile pic was pre-first op and it was probably a little worse than it looks in the photo. Propecia is keeping it in check now although I hate the stuff for the same reasons everyone else does.

Feller is a good guy on a personal level, I got on well with him and he means well. As with all private surgeons you have to be mindful that these guys arent just drs though theyre businessmen too, patient advisers mask this by taking care of the business side for them. My only downer with Feller is a) my first result was very poor and to begin with he was a little in denial and a bit "I told you so, its FUE". Personally I feel I was a guinea pig for the new feller tool (How many new strong FUE results have you seen coming out of feller medical in the last three years?) and b) the post-op care and advice is crap. A sheet of over-photocopied very basic instructions. I was even told I could party after 3 days as the grafts were anchored. I wasnt given any kind of head cover and had to walk through the Waldorf lobby looking like a car accident. The post op care at Rahal puts it to shame - careful verbal and detailed written instructions, cleansing for days afterwards at the clinic, full set of aftercare products - surgical caps, saline sprays and bottles, shampoo, antibiotics, vitamin e oil etc.

You made a great decision to go with Dr. Rahal...his practice is like a very well oiled machine...everyone from Rahal down to the people implanting the grafts were extremely professional and very friendly...the after care was amazing...i felt like a King when I was there and they gave me a ton of after care products when I had to do it myself. You are going to look great and his work with clean up the previous work too so no worries! If you have any questions let me know! Keep us posted and congrats!!!

The work looks clean as usual. Nicely done. I think your hairline worries can be put to rest in no time. I think it's gonna come out great. Just follow the post op care instructions and your good to go. I look forward to seeing your updates as I also had FUE with Dr. Rahal almost 6 months ago. Will be posting updates soon.

Happy growin and congrats!

Your hair does look very solid and I think you would be the envy of many guys on here.

But from the picture you have posted on your avatar to the four pics you have posted, your hair does look like it has improved.

All of the good surgeons including Rahal,Shapiro,Feller,Hasson&wong and other great surgeons all have poor to average results, just the best ones have far fewer.

I have seen them from all of the above but it depends entirely if people complain and make it common knowledge.

But anyhow, hope this time you get what you want.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks for the feedback guys, looking forward to seeing your result updates Sean.

Chrisdav, I take your point, I think its important that people show their poor results as well as good ones though. Many people who get a poor result just accept it and walk away feeling duped/disappointed. It takes a lot of effort as you know to set up online profiles and nobody really wants to show themselves online and risk being recognised with a poor result. I did it so that people can get a balanced view and understand the risks because lets face it, its a maze out there.

Of course, my hair improved following the second surgery, its only the first that was very poor for some reason.

I travelled to Belgium to meet with Dr Bisanga who was very professional, he uses a manual punch and has consistent results. I was impressed with the setup at his surgery and the consultation was very thorough, I would certainly trust him but... although he doesnt have lots of results yet, I took my chance on Dr Rahal in Ottowa.

Everything you said in the above quote about Dr. Bisanga seemed quite complimentary, but then you just decided against him without explanation. Would you mind elaborating a little more on why you didn't ultimately go with Dr. Bisanga especially after traveling to Belgium to see him?

And, best of luck with the results from your procedure with Dr. Rahal.

Zenmunk, I made the decision to use Rahal simply based on his previous consistent hairline results which was the most impotant thing for me to get sorted. Id have no problem going to Bisanga if I need fill-in work in the future.

"By 12 months the result was shocking, my hair was no different to pre-op but I now had redness, pitted skin and ?8k less. If you'd like to see the pre-op photos take a look at my profile" - Didn't expect an esteemed doctor did not give the desired results.

HookHairs - the work looks very precise and clean, very typical of Rahal - I'm very impressed with what I've seen of his work.

Whereas some doctors don't seem to be able to achieve the same yields with FUE and strip, Dr Rahal seems to be able to achieve excellent consistent yields with either - I guess it depends on the individual skill of the surgeon. I've noticed that the surgeons who are less successful with FUE try to make out like all FUE yield less, but clearly the top surgeons can achieve excellent results and I think you made a great choice with this surgery.

I'm happy for you that you were able to get your poor previous surgeries repaired, happy growing and keep us updated!

Edited by England

Hi there, oh my, I got a shock reading this. I was considering Dr. Rahal..

I think you misread the post. Dr Rahal only performed this latest surgery. HookHairs had two previous procedures elsewhere, one of which he says grew successfully.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

HookHairs this looks very tidy, I like the design, strong but natural. How much did this cost you in total or how much does Dr Rahal Charge for FUE (am I allowed to ask this on public forums?) Thanks

Also, anyone know (Matt J perhaps), what is the maximum grafts that Rahal will transplant FUE without shaving down?

Hi Maninspace, after my $1000 travel discount for being an overseas customer, it cost roughly $10,600 canadian or ?6767 uk. Each case may be assessed differently but an online consult with them would confirm exact costs.

I know that with FUE the donor (and recipient area if native hair present) is ALWAYS shaved down. In most cases people just shave it all over as it looks stupid otherwise. My first op with Feller I didnt get a full shave, it looked horrific and made cleansing more difficult. Not shaving the recipient may also cause shockloss I believe after reading about Spex' recent FUE with Dr Lindsey?

Also, anyone know (Matt J perhaps), what is the maximum grafts that Rahal will transplant FUE without shaving down?

The idea of shaving doesn't appeal to everyone, but Dr Rahal considers it an essential part of producing a great result. So do most surgeons from what I've seen. It's just one of those things that might cause some initial apprehension, but once accepted it ceases to be a big deal.

I really agree with HookHairs that not shaving the recipient can look odd with the shaven donor region. It's much neater just to keep everything even.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks, I asked regarding shaving as unless im getting my wires crossed it is my understanding that SMG can do FUE sessions of up to 2000 without shaving, I would love for someone to clarify this if anyone else knows, as it does seem way too good to be true.

Also, that is more than reasonable pricing, how much was travel and accomodation roughly? I would require roughly the same amount of grafts as yourself and I had planned on staying in Europe but at those prices i may well reconsider...

Wow...I could not imagine going through a poor hair transplant and then going back for more. You made the right call by using Rahal this time. I am getting 2000 FUE with Dr. Rahal on March 19th and I think I would crawl into hole and die if things went bad!!! lol I must say you are a trooper.

Keep us posted on the results and I'll do the same. I should have my pics up on March 20th.

Happy Growing!!!!!!!!