Recent FUE procedure (450 grafts) - not happy with resulting donor area

FUEpatient

Hi,

I recently underwent an FUE procedure with a prominent NYC hair restoration surgeon. The reason I chose the FUE method as opposed to FUT was that I like to keep my hair short at the back and sides (donor area). I was encouraged to proceed with the FUE method after seeing the result of Wayne Rooney's (Google if unsure as to who this is) recent FUE tranplsant. I guess I was led to believe that I could shave my head to a no. 2 blade without anyone noticing the hair removed from the donor area.

(Bear in mind that the donor area was shaved bare on the day of the procedure. As I write, we are two weeks from the day of the procedure - so the donor area effectively has two weeks growth from bald - equivalent to a blade no. 2)

Well, here we are two weeks on from the procedure (equivalent growth to a blade no. 2). The donor area 'scars' are clearly visible (specifically - a strip like line of what appears to be 'thinning' hair at the back). Why is this so? I was lead to believe that my surgery is comparatively small (450 grafts). I am surprised that you can see this 'strip'

HAS ANYONE ELSE READING THIS HAD AN FUE PROCEDURE? CAN YOU PLEASE RESPOND TO ME AND LET ME KNOW AS TO WHAT BLADE NO. YOU CAN SHAVE YOUR HEADS WITHOUT VISIBLY SEEING THE DONOR AREA 'STRIP'?

Your responses or feedback in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It would be nice to see a picture of it as I think you'll get better responses but it's only been 2 weeks. I think it's way too early to judge what the donor area will ultimately look like. I've seen guys do a 2000 graft FUE procedure and you can't tell anything has been done. You only did 450 so I really doubt there will be an issue.

By the way, why was it such a small procedure? Did you just touch up your hairline or something?

I've noticed that outlines of the extraction site can remain discernible for some time after surgery while the area is healing, and that this fades. I can definitely see some redness remaining in your photo. It's also possible that you've experienced some temporary shockloss.

You are only two weeks post-op, and the hair is longer above the extraction site which is one more factor making it obvious. I think things will work out for you, and a haircut to even out the back will make a big difference. Of course, you should wait as long as your surgeon instructs you to before going for that cut.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the response. I hve attached a picture. Hopefully I will get more responses now.

The reason why the transplant was so small is that I had two scars on my head which I wanted filled out.

Comments appreciated.

Yeah, it looks like you got some shock loss or something. It seems kind of odd for such a small job. It should recover and you be fine.

I had 500 FUE grafts with no shock loss, but I am a fast healer and have great skin characteristics. My donor area healed up literally overnight!

You should be fine. Don't worry.

Atticus :)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Thanks guys for your responses. I appreciate the reassurance. Hopefully the above is just a bit of a temporary shock loss.

If anyone else reading this has experienced similar shock loss or thinning of this nature post op, I would be appreciative if you could let me know.

Thanks.

Give it more time to grow. It's probably shock loss. It happens but it come back. May take anywhere up to 6 months to come back fully I think. Just depends on how you heal. Some don't have it, some heal slow, some fast. Don't worry too much about it right now. Email the clinic to see what they tell you. I had shockloss worse on my right side i believe, I was advised to maybe put a little rogaine there to speed it up after it was safe to do so. However, consult your doctor to see what he/she suggests.

Give it another 2-4 weeks and see how much it changes.

Good luck.

Guys,

Again, I appreciate the reassurance. I e-mailed the clinic where I got the job done and the surgeon told me that the area will improve. He said that he didn't think I had much shock loss. He said that

"Over time, the scars contract and some additional hair will grow back from the edges of the harvested sites"

Although this is a welcome comment, I'll reserve judgement til I see the outcome. I just don't understand how my donor area could look like this after such a small procedure. I mean I have looked at other photos of donor areas shortly after post op and they don't look like mine. Also, Wayne Rooney was back playing football shorly after his procedure and the back of his head looked great.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Spex,

Thanks for your comment. A different perspective is always a positive. My surgeon is of the view that it is not shockloss.

Do u think, from the below picture, that the donor area has been overharvested in that particular region? Remember it is only 450 grafts.

All comments appreciated,

Thanks

5b32d1d819abc_1daypostopedit.JPG.8c28930b202b58b9567305ff6d3d9a4d.JPG