two scars better than one?

Hi all,

a similar question is no doubt somewhere on the forum but I can't find it, apologies in advance, I would like to ask about the 2nd strip HT, just over 2 weeks ago I had a ht with dr Path' in Bangkok, the procedure went well, I had not much pain or swelling and my scar is healing well, I got 3700 grafts, I'm norwood 6, my question/s are

if the first ht surgery had few/no complications can I expect that of a 2nd ht? or is the 2nd one more difficult, due to things like tighter scalp?

my surgeon tells me he creates a 2nd scar, experience has taught him to leave the first one alone, is this normal/standard procedure? have the forum members got any thought on this, is 2 scars better than one?

I am definitely going ahead in a years time with a 2nd ht, that was always the plan, just trying to be as well educated as possible beforehand.

Edited by wrapper

No it is not very common practice to produce 2 scars in modern hair transplantation, unless the first scar was placed in an inappropriate area. Most doctors will reopen your old scar and excise another section and suturing it closed leaving a similar scar that you had the first time. 2 scars are not better as it will make it more difficult for you to hide them, it's unnecessary. Scalp elasticity doesn't factor in this, because they'd have the same issue if it was from the old scar line or from a new area.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Well said. I would also suggest getting another opinion. You really want to avoid having two or more strip scars.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank-you so much for your replies, I had 20mg of diazepam in me from that morning when I spoke to my surgeon that evening, maybe I picked him up wrong, I felt ok and pretty sure that's what he said, everything I have read since has been to the contrary, I am going to email him for clarification, he's been doing HT's for many many years, surely if it's so wrong and so against standard procedure then he wouldn't be doing it, I'm 99% certain that's what he said though, is there forum members out there who have 2 scars from 2 HT's, I'd love to hear there views on this, especially if it were done recently, thanks again for the replies.

Edited by wrapper

Dr. Path does very nice work but I'm surprised to hear him say he would create 2 strip scars. The only other doctor I have heard suggest this practice is Alan Bauman, and it makes zero sense IMO.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I've just emailed Dr Path's clinic, maybe the diazepam had more effect on me than I realised, I have absolutely have no complaints about how I was treated when I was there and want to go back for another one, hopefully I will get a reply tomorrow and clear this up.

thanks again everyone who has replied, starting to feel bad that I have misquoted Dr Path', I only have good words for him, I think my ignorance on the subject and the diazepam have contributed to me picking the good doctor up wrongly, it was at the end of my surgery that we talked about this, I was sure he said it but now I'm thinking I may have been drowsier than I realised, as I said my ignorance as well, did plenty of research on getting a HT but not too much on 2nd HT research, I'm doing that now, congrats on your op' Dutch, just had a look at your profile and pics, we both live in the uk but went thousands of miles in opposite directions to have the same procedure, the small world of hair transplants.

Edited by wrapper

thanks again everyone who has replied, starting to feel bad that I have misquoted Dr Path', I only have good words for him, I think my ignorance on the subject and the diazepam have contributed to me picking the good doctor up wrongly, it was at the end of my surgery that we talked about this, I was sure he said it but now I'm thinking I may have been drowsier than I realised, as I said my ignorance as well, did plenty of research on getting a HT but not too much on 2nd HT research, I'm doing that now, congrats on your op' Dutch, just had a look at your profile and pics, we both live in the uk but went thousands of miles in opposite directions to have the same procedure, the small world of hair transplants.

I think I have a simple solution...can you not just look to see if you have two scars?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Buddy I didn't feel newhair was trying to put you down , I think it may just come from frustration , when you have been on these forums for a while , sometimes you are left with the feeling that maybe some guys didn't research as well as they could or should have , past tense .

You have explained that you where on medication when speaking to the doc and are maybe doubting what you heard , thats good honesty from you .

Maybe ring your doc and ask directly if his intension is to create another scar , this is not the way these things are normally done by the worlds leading surgeons and your question may have worried some posters .

To answer your question bud , two scars are not normal and should not happen with a leading hair transplant surgeon .

Two scars are definatly not better than one , one should be all you ever need whether its , your first surgery or your 5th , one scar .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

it turns out that I was fine after the surgery and was hearing and understanding properly, I was having my doubts as a 2nd scar seems to go against the norm and what I've read but I have had it confirmed in an email from Dr Path' although he did say these things are discussed before surgery, he says that more grafts are produced from a 2nd scar as there is poorer density around the 1st scar, using trichophytic technique wound closure the scar is slim and that narrower scar's heal better and that if you cut the 1st scar again due to the already poor density, the area being removed has to be wider and consequently the scar will be wider, it seems Dr Path's answer to my question is that yes, 2 scars are better than one, to summarise, a 2nd scar produces more grafts and you are left with 2 unseen scars, compared with less grafts and a wider original scar, I am not saying he's right, I'm just the patient, I do not want to take any risks with my head, my job is only half done, I do need a 2nd HT, I've got a year before this will happen and to decide where? and how?

Edited by wrapper

It is true that when taking a strip from the old incision produces less grafts than the original because of area in the strip that is the actual old scar. The scar on the other hand should heal very well as long as it was sutured correctly, it could be larger, but not by much I personally don't believe it's worth it to have 2 scars.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Like I mentioned, the only other doctor I have heard of who advocates taking another scar is Alan Bauman, and he actually produced 3 scars on one patient. I suppose if the patient is OK with having a second scar in order to get more grafts, and if the patient does not have a propensity to stretch, there's no problem with this approach. I have two scars but only because the first was taken too low, and although you cannot see either of them, I'd rather have just one.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Wrapper

This is what I read from your post "I would like to ask about the 2nd strip HT, just over 2 weeks ago I had a ht with dr Path' in Bangkok, the procedure went well,"

Thats what made me think you had a second procedure already!!! I will not apologize because I was not trying to be a " smart ass "!!!!! I have been on these boards and and I TRY TO DO MY BEST AT GIVING REASONABLE ADVICE!!! Im not an expert by any means...I was just simply trying to help you...as were the others ...however, if you are that sensitive, I don't care were you go...get 7 strip scars if you want them!! I have NEVER had any beef with anyone on this board, as a matter of fact, I have made some really great friends on here!!! I spend several hours a day on here doing my best to educate potential hair transplant clients, AS BEST AS I CAN... I certainly don't have all the answers, not even close, thats why I continue to hang around here...anyway, good luck to you!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

hairthere,

Can I ask you, you say you have 2 hidden scars but you'd rather you only had one, that's maybe the decision, I will have to make, if the scars are hidden, what's the difference? I'm not trying to be smart maybe I will feel exactly the same, right now if I were asked, what would you prefer, one scar a little larger or 2 scar which are hidden, I think I'd say 2 hidden scars, if I have this dilemma, I'm sure others on the forum have been it the same situation, I'd love to hear from them.

I certainly would not want two strip scars as well...like the others have stated...its certainly not the norm..

Then apparently you didn't read my first post!!

Wrapper, I do not know why you are being so offensive...like I said, I was only trying to help..you keep pulling up my one quote and like I stated I was under the impression you had TWO surgeries already!!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Wrapper, Sorry, my backstory would explain my dissatisfaction with scar #1. It was done by a hack doctor, was positioned too low, and provided few grafts. It has also stretched in certain areas and it may have impeded getting more grafts from Dr. Feller's strip which is positioned higher up. I have had 3 strips with Dr. Feller and with each one he simply removed the prior strip. My yields were as follows: 3200, 2200, 1520.

Regarding your squabble with NHP: I think it was a simple misunderstanding. I know he is a good guy who is fighting the same battle as you and has been here just trying to help folks out. Now come on, cyber shake hands guys.

Edited by hairthere

Wrapper

Okay, I did NOT mean anything by the comment...the comment that offended you..Now Im gonna try to get this back on target because I love seeing new members on this board contributing and asking questions...In my opinion...IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, its never a good idea to have two strip scars...under any normal circumstance...also, any recommended doctor on this site would probably not do this unless for some reason the first strip was taken out on the donor safe area or some other unforeseen circumstance that may have occurred..again, I think thats the opinion you will get from most on here..sorry we got off on the wrong foot...you may not believe it, but I was trying to help..Im not known around here for being a trouble maker, I promise!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Wrapper, it has stayed roughly the same. I do have a tendency to stretch a bit though and I would not say my scars have been pencil thin. My current surgery I am leaving the staples in a few extra days so we'll see if that has any effect.