25, Receeding hairline, taking its toll on me

Hi guys, im a 25 year old guy with not many worries in my life except my dreaded hairline :(

iv noticed the past year or so the hairline has begun to receed and its beginning to get me down

right now my hair is the longest iv ever had it but tbh i think thats just making it harder to hide, i dread getting up in the morning and seeing its a windy day outside

iv never taken any meds, but i feel i need to act soonish, id say im a NW2?

Long term, i could see me opting for a HT one day although i just feel uneasy about having one now, only for the hairline to receed further beyond the point it has?

im attaching some pics of how i have my hair, and then one slicked back, and one from the side so you can see how i mean

its seriously getting me down, part of me would love to just shave my whole head and not give a damn, but its just a scary prospect :(

I think it helps to talk to you guys, ie people in a similar situation, who have been there before etc

i keep coming across propecia, where do you guys buy from? im based in the uk by the way

current hair

Side

front

part of me feels i could just completely change my image, ie shave the head, grow a beard, don myself in some tattoo sleeves, and work out like crazy!

Edited by sufcfed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I dont feel that you are anywhere near the "need to shave it all off stage". You still have lots of hair, but you need to get an RX for Propecia and get on it to slow/reduce/stop further loss.

Stopping or greatly reducing future loss is more than half the battle and Propecia is pretty good at doing that in most cases. Remember when you are on Propecia you propbably wont see any big changes....but thats a good thing....that may mean you aren't seeing any further new loss. But Propecia is a life-long committ, because if you stop taking it the DHT will soon begin the slow process of taking away hair again.

Hair transplants replace whats lost, Propecia keeps what you have....

both are very important parts of the gameplan.

Plus at your age, I bet great strides will be made in next decade or so.

Good luck on your journey.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

thanks for the reply buddy

does propecia make hair thicker at all? my hair seems pretty thin too

Also im not sleeping, alot of stress, so dont know whether this can have any impact on the state of my hair

Excuse me for being dumb but what is an RX????

As far as Propecia and thickness, some have reported a thickening. Which could mean some hair that was heading towards fallout was saved and thus the over-all look is thicker. Personally I have not seen any thickening. I will say that I wish I could go back in time. I started on Propecia at about 32 years old, used it for ten years and didn't notice much. So I quit taking it from say 42-48, and then all of a sudden I noticed my crown was thinning. I am back on it now and take it every single day. I would give anything to have those years back when I wasnt taking it because I am pretty sure my crown would not be nearly as thin now as it is. So the point is to hold on to what you have by taking Propecia. Other new drugs and methods will probably come along and as young as you are they will be available to help you out. Really all we have now are "the big three"...Propecia, Minoxodil, and Hair Transplants.

Stress can be a factor in hair loss, but I think it is mostly DHT that destroys our hair.

RX= Doctor's Prescription

(not sure about UK, but in the US you need a prescription to get Propecia)

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Oh man, your hair looks very good. Especially the first picture, the style really suits it. I wouldn't worry too much! Perhaps a little FUE down the road if it doesn't fall progress too much but I feel your pain.

For now though, I'd say youre fine. Keep your chin up man. We do have very similar hairlines, although mine is a bit worse, but they are shaped the same.

As far as Propecia and thickness, some have reported a thickening. Which could mean some hair that was heading towards fallout was saved and thus the over-all look is thicker. Personally I have not seen any thickening. I will say that I wish I could go back in time. I started on Propecia at about 32 years old, used it for ten years and didn't notice much. So I quit taking it from say 42-48, and then all of a sudden I noticed my crown was thinning. I am back on it now and take it every single day. I would give anything to have those years back when I wasnt taking it because I am pretty sure my crown would not be nearly as thin now as it is. So the point is to hold on to what you have by taking Propecia. Other new drugs and methods will probably come along and as young as you are they will be available to help you out. Really all we have now are "the big three"...Propecia, Minoxodil, and Hair Transplants.

Stress can be a factor in hair loss, but I think it is mostly DHT that destroys our hair.

RX= Doctor's Prescription

(not sure about UK, but in the US you need a prescription to get Propecia)

My mum LITERALLY just sensed that im unhappy so i popped round to see her and finally let out about my hair

to her it was the ''its fine theres nothing wrong with it'' which annoyed me as i can see whats happening

as soon as i mentioned ''drug'' she kinda turned her nose up abit :(

if you get propecia on a prescription is it alot cheaper?? i have found a trusted website that sells 1mg finasteride ''finpecia'' for ?229 13 month supply

for the 5mg (so would have to cut it) they charge ?179 for 14 months

is it likely to be alot cheaper on prescription or should i just take the plunge and order online

Oh man, your hair looks very good. Especially the first picture, the style really suits it. I wouldn't worry too much! Perhaps a little FUE down the road if it doesn't fall progress too much but I feel your pain.

For now though, I'd say youre fine. Keep your chin up man. We do have very similar hairlines, although mine is a bit worse, but they are shaped the same.

i think mine is worse than yours dude :(

are you going to take propecia? side effects worry me but tbh i wouldnt mind trying it out and if i feel anything dodgy i will come off and then accept a shaven head

id love FUE but i just think at our age, there must be a HIGH chance its going to fall back a little more and then its going to look awful :(

I have thought about taking it and I will probably try, but also like you the side effects worry me.

from what iv read online, and iv read a hell of alot on all this now, it seems like side effects are hit and miss 50/50

hopefully, i, we, would end up falling in the category of no side effects, can only hope!

Ideally, i'd like to get on propecia, say max 5 years till i hit 30 (hopefully then id be in a relationship) then either let nature take its toll or go for a HT

just want something to get me through the next few years, 25 is a very specific age to be social :(

tbh im quite a muscular guy, and am working out a hell of alot so could probably pull off the shaved head somewhat, if i had a normal hairline im pretty much sure id shave it off right this second without hesitation

i just dont wanna shave it to reveal a receeding hairline

Which website did you see the finisteride on. There is one recommended on this site called ukfinisteride.info. It is greatly cheaper to order from there as your doctor can only give you a private pescription. For one month supply they will charge 40 quid! I nearly fell into that trap!

Nizoral shampoo is also supposed to help as well as this is also believed to lower dht in the scalp.

Bad Side effects from finisteride are reported to be less than 1%.

Hope this helps!

I think you can get lower concentration shampoo from places like boots or your local chemist but the studies that were done were using the 2% version. It is actually sold as anti dandruff shampoo but lots of people on here recommend it. You don't use it every day, the study was done on use for 2 to 4 days a week.

I got mine off eBay, chemist 4 u, for 8 quid including postage for 100 ml. There are probably cheaper generic versions but I wasn't to bothered at that cost.

had haircut today, tbh i think it looks better when its shorter and easier to manage

i picked up some nizoral from boots :) so its worth a try, how many times a week do i use it? i wash my hair daily

thanks guys

cool, i will do 3 times a week too, monday wednesday and friday.

Was the last one left in boots, so they must sell pretty well! everything else there was loads in stock! lol

also going to try to order propecia this week, if i can atleast save what i have for a while then it will make me a much happier person

One question, i read alot that propecia doesnt help with the hairline (do they mean regrowing)

Surely it will still attempt to block DHT to the hairline hairs meaning HOPEFULLY, it could halt the receeding??????

Fair enough if it doesnt re-grow anything, i just hope it would stop it from getting too much worse

From studies I've read it's not going to give you all your hair back. The reason they can't market it for use on the hairline is because the FDA approval only came from studies on the crown and central parts. It has been proven to regrow some hair in these areas :)

That's unlucky. One of my friends is the exact opposite, he has his hair and his father has none.

I've not used propecia yet but I plan to after we have our next child. I've read there is a very small chance it can cause birth defects in babies so I don't want to take even the slightest chance on that one!

My father is a norwood 7 so I'll be on the propecia ASAP after to keep what I have! He is actually seeing some hair regrowth at the age of 70 as he is on finisteride for his prostate. It's never going to regrow it all but it just goes to show it works!

That's unlucky. One of my friends is the exact opposite, he has his hair and his father has none.

I've not used propecia yet but I plan to after we have our next child. I've read there is a very small chance it can cause birth defects in babies so I don't want to take even the slightest chance on that one!

My father is a norwood 7 so I'll be on the propecia ASAP after to keep what I have! He is actually seeing some hair regrowth at the age of 70 as he is on finisteride for his prostate. It's never going to regrow it all but it just goes to show it works!

jeez atleast that shows hope! :)

ah i didnt know anything about the baby defect chance :( :( :(