Hello! I am new and need HT advice, Houston,TX

Hello,

I am currently a Norwood stage 2 and deeply considering a surgical procedure. I am located in the Houston, TX area and want to do something in the next 60 days. I have survived this long, but as I am turning 30 I want that hairline back to normal.

I am overwhelmed by all the different types of procedures. Strip method, FUE, Neo-graft. Seems like there are pro and cons to all of the procedures. I thought the neo-graft method sounded good because of the "no scar" and fast recovery. Are there any success stories with this method? I hear good and bad things. Its 2012 now.. is Neo-Graft more common?

Also what are typical prices for the following procedures? I hear that the costs can go up to 20K+. I see ads for $3graft... its all so confusing. I want to spend around $7000 and a close friend of mine who had 6000 grafts said I would need around 1500 in my condition. How much would 1500 run with the following procedures?

I know I am new to this.. I am just looking for guidance in the right direction. If anyone can post some threads of success stories, recommend any doctors here locally or discussions it would help. I have done my fair share of research on the internet but have not found the answers that I wanted. Thanks!!

Hello & welcome. Sounds like you need to do thorough research. You will need to take finesteride & minoxidil for medication first. Then look at surgeons here and click on the patients who have posted their results. Take it easy & don't rush.

Surgery prices can vary massively but that's not the main point for you yet & quality will come above the price tag. Do your research and once you're done do some more. Any pics?

Don't rush as Dutch suggests and you definately do need to research more. Just to clarify, Neograft is an FUE procedure that uses a different tool to extract than the traditional fue procedures. It also has a tool for planting too but I believe most technicians/doctors do not use that portion of the machine. It's not anymore scarless than other types of fue tools. All punch sizes end up producing a small, round dot scars. How big the dot is dependant upon the size of the punch used to extract.

Costs vary for strip procedures depending on the clinic and same for fue procedures. The clinics that offer the Neo-graft are probably are more expensive as the machine itself was expensive.

60 days is not nearly enough time to make an educated decision in regards to HT's. Give it more like a year or two of studying the forums (not just this one) and blogs. It's almost like earning another degree.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

My doctor advised me not to take finasteride (Propecia) She said that until I have kids I should not consider this medication. I also researched that is causes sexual side effects which I do not want to tamper with. I have been considering this for over a year now, and browsing, asking questions, etc. I didn’t just jump into this in the last 30 days. I am really looking to pull the trigger.

Here in Houston, TX I have seen many positive things about Dr. Arocha, thinking about making an appointment.

My doctor advised me not to take finasteride (Propecia) She said that until I have kids I should not consider this medication. I also researched that is causes sexual side effects which I do not want to tamper with. I have been considering this for over a year now, and browsing, asking questions, etc. I didn’t just jump into this in the last 30 days. I am really looking to pull the trigger.

Here in Houston, TX I have seen many positive things about Dr. Arocha, thinking about making an appointment.

Good idea scheduling a consult with Dr. Arocha. I would reconsider Fin.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

As others have said, don't rush into this....you only have a finite supply of donor and you have to make good decisions so you don't end up wasting your grafts. You have to plan for the long run because hair loss is progressive. Dr. Arocha would be a great choice to consult with.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thank you orlhair1 and aaron1234 for thinking of us at Arocha Hair Restoration. I will echo the sentiments that others have expressed on this thread. Do your research. Get the opinions of others on this forum, ask questions and meet with the doctors so you can get a feel for them. Good luck!

Employed by Dr. Bernard Arocha. Dr. Arocha is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.