Scared to shampoo - Day 3

Hi All,

I had HT last Thursday with Dr Path in Bangkok (Dr Path and his staff were tremendous btw and I'll create a thread so that you can follow the progress of my HT in the coming days).

I just had questions about shampoing both donor and recipient area.

Except for the one performed by Dr Path and his staff the day after the surgery I still haven't shampooed my hair and I'm scared to do it to be honest.

Is there any issue with not doing it for a few days (I'm tempted to wait till Wednesday when the stitches will be taken out)?

Are there clear benefits of shampooing daily?

So far I have only observed a small dot of blood in the donor area.

Thanks in advance for your help,

As Orlhair stated, you need to keep the area clean so you need to start shampooing. You don't want to use your fingers yet, and you don't want the water to hit it directly. Just use a cup and pour the water/shampoo gently over your head. Believe it or not, those grafts are already pretty well secured, but you do need to baby them still, at least until your doc recommends you start shampooing normally again. And when he does, don't be afraid to. Cleaning those scabs off is important.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

my day 3 instructions were to mix water and shampoo and gentle rinse over my head. It wasn't until day 4 that I was allowed to touch the grafts with my fingers. From day 4-10 I was rinsing and very gently touching my scalp with my finger tips. From day 10 onward I was shampooing as normal.

You should have got a sponge in your care pack to gently dab on the recipient area.

You must keep it clean, dont be scared, its essential post op.

Did your aftercare not detail all of this?

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

I found the best way to easily clean the grafts is to mix the shampoo and water in a spray bottle as they did during my cleanings as Rahal's office. You are instructed not to touch the grafts for 14 days. I would spray the shampoo on my grafts...wait a few secs...then have another spray bottle with water and rinse the shampoo away...it was pretty clean and easy to do. I would do the same process with cleaning my scar area as I rubbed the scar area clean as you were allowed to gently touch the area. After 14 days you can start showering normally and massage the scabs away...and can use regular shampoo approximately 30 days after your HT.

Capelli

Just checked out your website...great updates and documentation...yeah...I feel you..I can slowly see that hairline fading from those pictures...Oh well, you and I have seen enough dr Rahal pictures to know that it will be back stronger than ever!! Good Luck!! I will call you when Im passing thru!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Capelli's is a really good method. I was paranoid a lot myself and didnt touch my scalp for about 10 days, I kept going in for a wash. They patted it down for the first few days then started massaging the scalp later with a bit more pressure every day. You'll be fine, don't use your nails, finger tips and the palm only.

Hi All,

I had HT last Thursday with Dr Path in Bangkok (Dr Path and his staff were tremendous btw and I'll create a thread so that you can follow the progress of my HT in the coming days).

I just had questions about shampoing both donor and recipient area.

Except for the one performed by Dr Path and his staff the day after the surgery I still haven't shampooed my hair and I'm scared to do it to be honest.

Is there any issue with not doing it for a few days (I'm tempted to wait till Wednesday when the stitches will be taken out)?

Are there clear benefits of shampooing daily?

So far I have only observed a small dot of blood in the donor area.

Thanks in advance for your help,

The bottom line is....its best to be cautious for ten days....u had a shampoo in surgery post HT......so just rinse your hair gently with water (non direct shower and very low pressure water) keep it wet. DO NOT shampoo like u do normally, do not use your fingers, dont rub or scrub....use a small amount of shampoo on the recipient area and use your finger tips very very gently....and rinse off very quickly just to keep it clean....and dont do it every day every 2 days....after day 10-12 than shampoo normally and clean the area......the reason i say this is.....after day 10 the grafts can be disturbed....so for the sake of being pateint no point risking it.....the reason i said dont use much shampoo cos the problem i had on this my third HT is that i used this horrible thock alpecin after this HT on day 5 and it is too thick to get out of ur hair without normal rubbing and massage, so what happened it got stuck on my scalp and hindered the hair from breathing and i got bad dandruff. I was mighty releived on day 12 to shampoo hard