Fin/Propecia Dosage Questions

orlhair1

I have been taking Fin since last Feb, taking 1/4 Proscar per day. I had no side affects at all until about 2 months ago when I had a period of some groin pain which went away on its own. I have had this happen again, so I am thinking of taking less Fin. I have read a lot of the posts on this with some people taking a smaller dosage daily and some people taking it at full dose every other day or 3 times per week. I will be going to SMG for a check up at the end of the month and planned to talk to them about it, but I wondered what everyone here thinks about this. Particularly, I am wondering if anyone noticed any reduced benefits when they reduced the dosage and whether half dose daily or full dose every day is the better way to go? Even without sides, I would like to take as little of the drug as possible and still keep the benefits I have seen. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, particularly from people who have changed the dosage they took and from any of the clinic reps or doctors.

Thanks!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Speaking for myself, I experimented with various options in order to reduce the mild side effects I was experiencing. I eventually settled on 1/4 Proscar tablet MWF. I saw no shedding and felt that my results remained unchanged.

Hope this helps.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yes, I'd try either one of the following options:

1) Go with a lower dosage. Maybe 1/5th or 1/6th of a proscar pill. Problem lies with the accuracy of doses when cutting a small pill into 5th's or 6th's. Some docs believe that .5MG of finasteride is just as effective as 1MG in treating hair loss.

2) Try taking the regular dosage for two days and skipping on the third. This might be less risky for your hair than taking the drug every other day.

3) Every other day can be an option too. But I would as least try to taper into that routine if that is your route.

4) Try sticking it out. Lot of times the sides just subside and never come back.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Well i'm probably one of the longest users about on here i've been using it for well over ten years now and i'd say your groin pains are about right on que it does start between 2 - 6 months,i found dropping to 1/5 of proscar helps and joke aside slacker boxers and jeans help a lot i noticed a big difference when i changed to bigger work trousers.

I may also add that the pain comes and goes but it's away a lot more than it's there and if i'm honest you can't really call it a pain it's more like a minor ache and if you have sex it goes straight away, sometimes readjusting your balls or moving them a bit helps when aching. Over time the aches go i can't even remember the last time i felt it it's been that long.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

i've been using it for well over ten years now and i'd say your groin pains are about right on que it does start between 2 - 6 months,

That's interesting. I experienced the minor groin aches within the first two weeks and that was it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I believe it's got a lot to do with your libido how it effects us all differently. I've always thought the lower your natural sex drive the bigger your problems will be in general with the drug. Mine was high but since i've been taking finasteride it's probably just right where i want it which is in the middle of the scale. I also believe the aching is your testis wanting to release but the drug blocks your head from thinking the same so you don't release for a while and it aches.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I have been on it for around 3.5 years, used to take it every other day until 2 weeks before my op (Sept 2011) when I upped the dose to a Propecia tablet daily. Never had side effects or pains. Always on heat anyway even after a session.

A friend of mine tried the following & could work for you: a quarter every other day for 2 months, then half every other day for 2 months and now half a day for 2 days then 1 day rest. So only tablets a week. That helped him to adjust & eliminated the pain apparently.

Edited by Dutch

WTF a tablet a day! Good god why did you do that mate?

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Lol my bad! I didn't read it properly but i kind of skate over propecia use nowadays as it's so over priced.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Thanks guys.....it was just a dull ache and it has already gone away, so I think I will just keep taking it daily at full dose and hopefully not have any more issues. It has really made my native hair much healthier.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1