Need Advice! Balding since 18 !

Hey guys! Let me introduce myself.

The facts

- I am twenty years old.

- I think I have been balding since 17? 18? Somewhere around that time, but I didn't notice until I was 19 or so until my hairline started receding big time.

- I'm sure my baldness is due to genetics. My dad is bald, my uncle is bald, and my older brother is balding too. I THINK I'm classified NW7. I'm not too sure, I'll have to check my Dad sometime to double check.

- This year, I started to use Kirkland's Minoxidil 5% from April-September? No hairs lost during that time. I kept using the product, but during September, my hair started falling out like crazy even when I used it. So I stopped using it.

I have some questions.

- I am considering a hair transplant. I went for a consultation once and was suggested for FUT, 2000-2500 grafts to cover my current bald spot. I was told I have good donor density, but I think that's too much, considering that I might be NW7. I want some advice. Is a hair transplant good for me? I'm only twenty and I know there's a longgg road ahead of me lol. The bald spot is really bothering me tho and I really want to patch it up. But at the same time, if the surgery doesn't go right, then I'm screwed for life, right? Also how many grafts should I consider to cover up my bald spot?

- Second question - Since Minoxidil isn't working for me anymore, so I'm considering finerasterade (can't spell it). At first I was weary of the side effects, but I think I've gotten over that. Is it a good idea to try propecia first before going for the hair transplant?

Thanks for reading ! And nice to meet you all! Attatching pictures . . .

IMG_0634.JPG.acd21df4589ae06754e89c33e13e0eca.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG.92922f12b041af33f150c2b5a77bca9a.JPG

It looks like you still have a good bit of your hair. Propecia (fin) is no doubt the best medication available to preserve the hair you have, strengthen your existing hair and generally stabilize your hair loss. If I were you, I would start that. It takes about a year to see the full results and you might have some shedding at first. I also would not conclude that Rogaine is not working for you. You may want to keep trying it. In combination with Prpoecia, at your age you may see significant improvement with the combination, particularly in your crown and mid scalp area. I think you are too young to get a HT. You need to stabilize your loss and reconsider a transplant in your mid to late 20s. Make sure you go to a top clinic for consultations (you can do them online and by phone). I recommend consulting with several. You only have so much donor hair and you don't want to risk a bad HT. You can find several top clinics here to consult with. Good luck!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I would use propecia and rogaine together for sure. If you dad is a Norwood 7( almost completely bald ) you certainly need to stabilize your hair loss before you even think about a transplant!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Get on finasteride now! If you are 21 you probably want it cheap so get a hair doc to prescribe you generic Proscar from Walmart and cut the 5MG pill into fourths (1.25mg) and take it daily. It's only $9 for a three month supply. I'd wait a few years before getting a HT and see how the fin is working.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

My hair loss started at 17, and at 24 it got really bad. So I would give it 5-10 years before thinking about a HT. I'm at Norwood 4. and at times I still wish to wait till I hit 30. However, I have a enough baldness to get an HT.