What happens if Scalp Micropigmentation Turns Blue or Green?

Hi,

Dr. Rassman does an excellent job addressing issues with the scalp micropigmentation (SMP) ink on his SMP site. Here's something he wrote specifically addressing the "blue/green fading" issue:

Don’t tattoos or pigment look green or blue?- There is always a potential change int he color of pigment over time. The pigment used for SMP is chosen to match the color and tone of shaved hair underneath ones skin. Despite variation in hair color most patients have a grayish (and greenish) tint after the hair is shaved from the dark roots of the hair showing through the layers of the dermis and epidermis. Much like how blood vessels appear green under the skin, the increased absorption of the red spectrum of light gives rise to this phenomenon explained by the trichromatic theory of color vision (i.e. if you absorb red you will perceive green). The light propagation through human tissue has also been modeled to show the greater decrease of red spectrum remission. In short, there is NO TRUE perception of black when the pigment is deposited beneath the skin. The greater depth of pigment deposit, the greater the potential change in color perception.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 7 months later...

He doesn't answer the question though. The question wasn't whether it will look blue or green after its done. Rather, the question was whether like every other form of tatttooing known to man the colors will change over time.

In addition to this unanswered concern, what if you go grey a decade afterwards?

Youdontsay and Anybodyknowsme

I share your concern and I too would like to hear from someone who's had SMP years ago. Fading and ink discoloration is one of my major concerns, especially for those who have their entire scalp done.

Hopefully SMP consumers or SMP practitioners can chime in here.

Best wishes,

Bill

This is one of the reasons I feel more comfortable with temporary SMP. If the ink (as youdon'tsay stated) is destined to change color over time, it only seems advantageous to also have it "fade away" with the color changed and be replaced with crisp, new, dark ink (which I believe involves a cycle of anywhere from 6 to 24 months).

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. In fact I think that is a huge advantage of what Dr. Feller, myself, and others will have with the placement of inks in the superficial dermis which would last on the order of 1.5-2.5 years. ADDITIONALLY, and I put that in caps as its an important advantage too, placement in the superfical dermis is at a depth of about 0.5-0.9mm, well above root balls of existing and or transplanted hair follicles, saving them from injury from aggressive pigment placing.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

We will be offering it starting in October almost certainly.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Very interesting!

Will you be performing the SMP yourself, or hiring a technician? I'm curious as to what the training process/time frame is like.

Additionally, are you planning on utilizing temporary or permanent ink?

We will be offering it starting in October almost certainly.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Holy moly it's catching on!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Lindsey,

This is very exciting news. I may be visiting you myself in the next year for a SMP consultation.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 4 weeks later...