Propecia Expensive!

Gin0rm0usF0rehead

So I called my HT doc and requested finesteride. I asked for Proscar, he said no and gave me a prescription for Propecia. Got it filled at CVS. $97 for a 30 day supply??!! My jaw dropped! For the folks that are currently on Propecia, where do you buy your meds? Online? What is a trust worthy site to get Propecia cheaper? I googled, but i dont trust the majority of the websites because they either look shady or come from another country.

If I cant get it cheaper than I'll just pass on the meds because $97/month for life is tough to swallow.

Dude, that's ridiculous. Go with Proscar and cut it into fourths. I pay $9 for a three month supply at Walmart (God bless 'em!). Just find a hair doc in your area that'll prescribe that instead. Most are willing and able to do that.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I would agree with what Aaron said. That is how we prescribe it at our practice, and also direct them to Wal-Mart for the cheapest price, since they have this "one-price-for-all-generic-meds" policy, and their wholesale source is a reliable manufacturer of generics. Some of the doctors who still insist on prescribing Propecia in its brand-name, 1mg form will say that the amount in each quarter of the mg tablet broken up will be different. But it doesn't matter, because, while each quarter averages 1.2mg (more than the 1mg in the Propecia tablet), Merck's own studies showed a significant decrease in DHT with only 0.2mg a day dose, which is less than one-sixth of a quarter tablet's med, so, even if there is some slight variation from quarter tab to quarter tab, there is a huge cushion that insures you get enough. The medication works for around 3 days in the body, so my routine has been to recommend a quarte tablet every other day for men under 30 and Monday-Wednesday-Friday (3 days a week) dosage schedule for those over 30. I don't tend to push it for men over 50, but will if they ask about it.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

And may I add that some of the docotrs are reluctant to presribe Proscar because it is a drug developed fro swelling of the prostrate and manufactured at 5mg per tablet. Propecia on the other hand was specifically developed for treating MPB at a low daily dosage of 1mg and approved by the FDA for treating MPB.

Some docotrs feel it is unethical to prescribe Proscar when they are not treating their patinets for prostrate cancer. My own PCP felt this way when I first asked her for a prescrition for Proscar. She was concerned that I might be taking more than 1 mg per day. I am 56 now and still cut Proscar. She agreed to give me scripts and I get the generic form of Proscar. That's how you can get it at Walmart for $9 because you will be purchasing the generic form of proscar and cutting it 4 ways.

My other thoughts on guys over 50 is that if you have natural hair left that you want to save from MPB, then consider getting a script. On the other hand, if you have lost all of your natural hair, there's no point to take finasteride whether it's Propecia or Proscar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I would agree with what Aaron said. That is how we prescribe it at our practice, and also direct them to Wal-Mart for the cheapest price, since they have this "one-price-for-all-generic-meds" policy, and their wholesale source is a reliable manufacturer of generics. Some of the doctors who still insist on prescribing Propecia in its brand-name, 1mg form will say that the amount in each quarter of the mg tablet broken up will be different. But it doesn't matter, because, while each quarter averages 1.2mg (more than the 1mg in the Propecia tablet), Merck's own studies showed a significant decrease in DHT with only 0.2mg a day dose, which is less than one-sixth of a quarter tablet's med, so, even if there is some slight variation from quarter tab to quarter tab, there is a huge cushion that insures you get enough. The medication works for around 3 days in the body, so my routine has been to recommend a quarte tablet every other day for men under 30 and Monday-Wednesday-Friday (3 days a week) dosage schedule for those over 30. I don't tend to push it for men over 50, but will if they ask about it.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Dr. Beehner - It looks like your practice is not too far away from me in CT. Would I be able to make a consultation with you to assess my current hairloss and get a prescription for Proscar to replace my current Propecia meds?

Hey Dr. Mike,

I had a HT three weeks ago and have been reluctant to begin finesteride for the first time ever because someone told me it could cause trouble with my resting hairs causing them to delay growth since I have never used it before.

Do you believe this to be true?

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I totally agree. But the challenge is knowing which doctor will prescribe Proscar in Connecticut. I mean, do i just keep making consultations at $100+ a pop until a doctor agrees to prescribe me Proscar?

May I suggest that you present this question by "email" to any recommended doctors here in your area.

You should not have to pay consultation fees to find one to prescribe you finasteride.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 years later...

I did not want to try anything except have a hair transplant but i gave some treatments a try and within 2 months i saw very good results. This has made me change my opinion everyone is different and some get good results than others.

I started using propicia yesterday to see any difference if i don't or get side effects then i will stop.

It does get expensive but if it gives good results then it maybe worth it.

Proscar (5mg finasteride) can also be purchased with a doctor's prescription and then the tablets can be cut into 4 pieces using a pill cutter.

This is a much cheaper way to take low dose finasteride, something I have been doing for many years.

The only draw-back is once the tablets are cut, the active ingredient can be potentially exposed to females. Any female who is either planning to have a child or has already conceived would be at risk of coming into contact with the medication and proper precautions are highly advised.

I have a co-pay of $10 for thirty tablets and it lasts me well over four months.

Gillenator

where do you buy your meds? Online? What is a trust worthy site to get Propecia cheaper?

Hello @Gin0rm0usF0rehead,

I take generic Propecia (finasteride 1 mg). I haven't tried to cut Proscar, but many men do it to cut the price down. I buy generic fin online at ok-pharmacy. These guys provide good products and services. I take their propecia for already more than 1 year and haven't had any issues. Hope it helps.