Initial indications of post HT success?

It's not the matter of days but months. You should start seeing new hairs sprout up around months 3-4 but they will be thin and colorless. By the 6th month you should see an aesthetic difference. You will not see full results until around 12-18 months post op.

FUE can take longer to fully mature.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes, I know that it takes from anywhere 3 to 12 months to see real results. But I was wondering if there are any *indications* during the first few days or weeks post HT that the HT is successful? For example, is the initial growth of transplanted grafts (before they shed and go into resting phase) an indication of the success?

No, a delayed shed doesn't guarantee a satisfactory final outcome. Nor does an early shed mean anything.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Well, if you see early growth (like 3-4 months) then it is a good sign but not a guarantee. If you are referring to the transplanted hairs growing before the initial shed that doesn't mean anything. Very few number of patients avoid the shed.

Well, if you see early growth (like 3-4 months) then it is a good sign but not a guarantee. If you are referring to the transplanted hairs growing before the initial shed that doesn't mean anything. Very few number of patients avoid the shed.

Yes, I was referring to the transplanted hairs growing before the initial shed. Any other opinions from other people around here?

Or any other indications?

Bottom line or at least what I think Aaron is trying to tell you, no matter how good or bad you look at 2 weeks, 2 months, or 6 months, don't call it a success or failure till the one year mark.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Bottom line or at least what I think Aaron is trying to tell you, no matter how good or bad you look at 2 weeks, 2 months, or 6 months, don't call it a success or failure till the one year mark.

Yes! That's it. With the exception of if you went to a hack and it's completely obvious you were butchered post-op.

I think that is/was a question that has gone through everyone's mind that has had a HT. It would make things so much easier if there was some indicator that early. Sadly, as all previous posters said, it just takes time....a long...long time... :)

But, saska, the good news is, is that it gets easier as time goes by. I remember for longest time, looking in the mirror first thing when i woke and several times throughout the day to check if there were any changes. Now, 4 months later, I may glance at it, but really don't even pay attention that much anymore unless it is a month mark.

Hang in there, and try to enjoy the process no matter how slow it is.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)