How soon after to start meds?

Rogaine after a month, you can start finasteride right away, after 20 days and when all scabs fall off use a soft shampoo like dove (don't massage the recipient area until after a month really and when you do so, do it very gently), and if you want to use nizoral and other stronger shampoos wait like 3 months or more or depending on what your doctor says.

Taking Biotin & MSM is good too. It helps with the growth I think. They are just vitamins so you can take them when you start taking finasteride.

That's what I did, but check everything with your doctor. Maybe they have their own recommendations.

Edited by Sean

What is your opinion of the best time to start meds for the first time ever if you just had a ht?

Be very very careful with this. Talk to your doctor above all things.

I have seen and observed guys over the years start finasteride and or minoxidil for the first time right after their HT and some of them had issues with regrowth.

The "initial" use of these hairloss drugs can cause or promote some of your follicles to retreat into the telogen (resting) phase including what was just transplanted!

Some guys do not inform their docs of this and then think the docotr did something wrong, not implying this is the case for you.

The best time to start finasteride (propecia) is one year before the HT procedure. That way, you will not only know if it in fact is working to stabilize your hairloss but at the same time if you get a shed from it, after one year, you should have recovered from it.

This is different situation than guys who have been on finasteride and/or minoxidil all along before the procedure, and then resume it after surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...
Be very very careful with this. Talk to your doctor above all things.

I have seen and observed guys over the years start finasteride and or minoxidil for the first time right after their HT and some of them had issues with regrowth.

The "initial" use of these hairloss drugs can cause or promote some of your follicles to retreat into the telogen (resting) phase including what was just transplanted!

Some guys do not inform their docs of this and then think the docotr did something wrong, not implying this is the case for you.

The best time to start finasteride (propecia) is one year before the HT procedure. That way, you will not only know if it in fact is working to stabilize your hairloss but at the same time if you get a shed from it, after one year, you should have recovered from it.

This is different situation than guys who have been on finasteride and/or minoxidil all along before the procedure, and then resume it after surgery.

Any doctors want to chime in here, I certainly don't want to make a mis step here and cause difficulty in re-growth.

So the question is " Since I have never taken propecia or rogaine, am at a couple weeks post HT, should I begin using these drugs asap or wait?" and for the record, I am 44 with a NW 4 or 5, had 3450 grafts, the hairloss began in mid to late twenties, it seems to have stabilized for the most part that I can notice.

Come on docs, help brother out and help me figure out the best route!

:)