Shave head after Hair Transplant (FUT) and natural hair loss after hair transplant

Hi,

I had a hair transplant 10 days using FUT. Now I can see that my natural hair has also started shedding. Now I've two questions,

(1) Will my natural hair come back

(2) Normally before hair transplant I shave my head once in a week. Actually it is more of shaving using trimmer not using blade or razor. I would like my head to be shaved in same manner till I get hair in my whole of the head. I dont mind having scar in my back of the head. But my question is whether it will have an impact on my existing natural hair or transplanted hair. If there is no impact then from when I can shave my head using the trimmer.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

(1) Most of your natural hair will grow back. It's called shockloss. Your hair has been traumatised by all the incissions made for the implanted hairs.

(2) Shaving your head will have no impact on your natural hair or your implanted hair. I think you have to wait at least 2 weeks after the surgery before you can safely shave the implanted zone. Also be careful that you don't damage the fresh fut scar while you shave.

@christdav... Thanks for the reply.... It is one of the top 5 hospital chains in India... Sorry I do not want to comment further due to my anonymous reason. Hope you understand. I would be liking your feedback too....

@Radius... Thanks for the reply... Your feedback has really made me confident... And I've another question... You have mentioned "Most of your natural hair will grow back"... does this mean few hairs will definitely not come back... Also, please tell me if there are any precautions I have to take care.. whatever it may be shampooing, diet etc etc.. My doctor advised me not to take head bath for first one weeks so I did the same...

Thanks again...

Yes some of the natural exisitng hair is shocked out from the trauma induced from the surgery and will grow back.

Some of the diffused debilitated hair will not simply because it was on its way out anyway.

Best wishes to you in your results!;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes some of the natural exisitng hair is shocked out from the trauma induced from the surgery and will grow back.

Some of the diffused debilitated hair will not simply because it was on its way out anyway.

Best wishes to you in your results!;)

Gillenator... Thanks for your wishes... Hope I get my money back as hairs...

The best thing you can do now, is relax about your hair and don't draw any conclusions for at least the next 6 months. Just let it grow quietly and see what happens. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your new hair!

...Just let it grow quietly...

ah..that should be translated in Latin!!

I don't know if it's possible as it is desirable. Sounds so easy!!

Sorry Ethahunt, not helping any, just loved the comment. If you don't mind a HTscar on the back of your head with a short haircut, you are different from me, and ahead of me, or the way I am now, but I can relate to anonymity on forums.

Good luck on the journey!!

Oh, and yeah, you will lose hair, and depending on the state of the minatization, a good portion of what you lose will come back. I've always suspected that a lot of the regrowth joy we get, and the extended period that nowadays is supposed to reflect "HT results" is in fact, our relief as the shocked hair comes back. I've always wondered about the cycle of the hair too.

On a clock, lets say your resting phase is between 10 to the hour and the hour (o'clock) on a particular hair. You get your head split open at twenty past the hour. ("procedure" day) The hair is traumatized. Do the hormones or whatever chemicals trigger the signal, 'reset' the clock? Fast forward to 50minutes? I have no idea. Just wonder.

Agent Hunt,

Shedding of native hair after hair transplant surgery is generally called "shock loss," and although it can take anywhere from 3-5 months for this hair to come back, it should all regrow.

Secondly, by day 10 (anywhere between day 7-10) the newly implanted grafts will be completely "anchored" and resuming normal grooming activity (within reason) should be fine.

However, I did want to mention that all clinics have unique post-operative instructions, and you should definitely run these questions by the operating clinic before fully committing to any set plan.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...
Gillenator... Thanks for your wishes... Hope I get my money back as hairs...

ethanhunt, you are very welcome my friend. I can hardly wait to hear back from you on your awesome transformation!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 9 months later...

Just getting back to the original question. There is no issue shaving head with a clippers post OP. Just wait until the scabs or 2 weeks and the scalp has sufficiently healed.

A lot of guys buzz down Post Op until the growth starts coming in. This is a good approach i think.