Turn that "crown" upside down: Dr. Wesley (1933 FU)

At age 34, this patient had already taken Propecia for 5 years. Although it slowed the progression of his hair loss in the vertex (crown) and midscalp, the effect of the medication was decreasing. A session of 1933 micrografts throughout his crown provided ample coverage as seen about 20 months postoperatively.

Coverage of this diffuse area of thinning also addressed the periphery of the crown (outer concentric circle) that will continue to thin in the future. While his coverage is markedly improved, the acute angles of hair in the crown may necessitate two sessions to have a dense vertex.

Crown_BeforeRB.jpg.02408b0af99e680f4e4ca8eeee69dacd.jpg

PatternRB.jpg.d181ff334a93a548d936859e0f61334c.jpg

Crown_20moAfterRB.jpg.356940189b8b669b54b3e1fff87ce48f.jpg

Thanks for your comments. The graft breakdown from this FUT session was as follows:

1s - 542

2s - 1015

3s - 297

FFs 79

Total 1933

Things are well on the research front. We are about 2.5 months into the clinical trial for the scarless harvesting method. Our office looks forward to presenting our findings formally at the 2012 ISHRS meeting. As I mentioned previously, it's a method that I and others who have learned about it truly believe in and feel will really benefit many patients down the road.

• 8 months later...

Using a total of 4,176 FU, the patient was able to address both areas that bothered him most: the crown and the recessions along his hairline.

Video: Treating Both Crown & Frontal Scalp

In addition to the coverage of his balding crown (see previously), this 34-year-old patient was able to fill in his fronto-temporal recessions as seen in the attached pictures as well as the accompanying video montage.

RB_Front_Before.jpg.053a81835723dd00138591a4d0eb7b0a.jpg

RB_Front_After.jpg.0fa299ea056be88537f3e255426cc4b2.jpg

That first result is very good, but the second one is a home run!

Newhairplease-I think a lot of surgeons use the term micrografts loosely. You can tell by the graft breakdown that these are true follicular units. I know the real minigrafts and micrografts from the '90s are 1 to 3 hair and 4 to sometimes 7 hair grafts cut using an eyeloop. Crazy isnt it!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D