My Medical Therapy Update

Spanker

Well, I have been on Propecia now for 1 year and 3 months. I would say that I have seen not gain or loss in my temples, and maybe a small bit of loss in the very front of my hairline. So, I am still unsure of how I feel propecia is helping me, but I plan on staying on it.

I have a full crown as of now, with isolated frontal loss. I am probably looking at about a 1500 to1800 graft session if and when I pull the trigger.

With my hair grown out and not combed back, most people would not see me as suffering from hairloss.

What bothers me most right now is that the loss is very irregular in the front with little thin strip anterior to posterior going about an inch into the forelock. It is annoying and I spend quite a bit of time looking at it. Which I know is stupid.

I started minox on my hairline and temples a little over a month ago. I am finding that i am having quite a lot of fine hairs sprouting in the temples, but with no joy in the frontal hairline.

I will keep updating on the minox, but I don't expect much of a change with the fin.

BTW, I will turn 33 in Jan.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker - Thanks for the update. I would imagine it is doing more good than you think so definately stay on it. I am on both Finast and Minox for about 15 months. I have not gained in my crown but I dont think I have lost ground either. I do believe that my temple points have strenthened with some new growth. All this is positive when you consider that I was in a hair loss freefall from 2008-2010 and the medication has appeared to at least stop the slaughter.... Also, and I think this is understated, the overall quality of my hair is stronger.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

The problem with taking finasteride is you don't know what position you would be in had you not been taking finasteride,so it leaves people inclined to carry on, leaning on the side of caution.

It's very hard to measure the success of finasteride if you don't see any regrowth but yet could still be potent and working great by slowing/stopping future loss.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Spanker,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're going to be a great candidate for hair transplantation when the time finally rolls around.

I've heard such conflicting information about growth in the temples and hairline from preventive medications like Rogaine and Propecia.

Some physicians seem to believe there is no physiological reason why these hairs would respond any differently (compared to crown and midscalp hairs), but most anecdotal reports seem to indicate that the growth is much more consistent in the crown and midscalp.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 year later...

i am 21 years old suffering hairloss from last 2-3 years , i still have hair on my head , i went to a doctor and he suggested me

1.tab genesis 1 MG (finasteride) daily

2 times minioxidil 5 % daily

i am fearing from its side sexual effects of both medicines ,

PLEASE tell me till how much time i have to use these medicines , and what if i stop using these medicines after 6 months or a year ,

i have heard after stop using this medicine a person looses all his hair , is it so?

i am 21 years old male suffering hairloss from last 2-3 years , i still have hair on my head , i went to a doctor and he suggested me

1.tab genesis 1 MG (finasteride) daily

2 times minioxidil 5 % daily

i am fearing from its side sexual effects of both medicines ,

PLEASE tell me till how much time i have to use these medicines , and what if i stop using these medicines after 6 months or a year ,

i have heard after stop using this medicine a person looses all his hair , is it so?

Seems the original post is old and before his HT with the amazing Dr. Konior, but I am convinced that Proscar did not help my front hairline either at all. Was constantly losing some hair in the front still even after having a HT procedure by one of the top docs.

After stopping it my hair is quite stable (also stopped Nizoral which damaged it too).

I lose a few hairs but almost none in the hairline even with very strong shower pressure.

I am convinced in my case at least there is no point of taking the drug as my crown and top have no issues.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

To Hairfall, if your hairloss is not major I would wait until you are a little older before taking.

If you have to take it, keep a close eye on any side effects and proceed cautiously

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

till how much time i have to use this medicine , and what after quitting fin & miniox ,? my hair start falling out or not ?

You have to use it for life, or you will lose all of the benefit that you gained.

I have now been on it for almost 3 years. Its still working well.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

i still have a head full of hair , but hair fall becomes severe some times , is there any "natural" way to just stop the existing hair fall .

to be very honest , i don't want to use these medicines for life , coz i am afraid of its side effects

as far as i know my baldness pattern is norwood II,

Not really. If you are shedding less that 100 hairs a day try not to let it bother you and keep an eye on things.

View Spanker's Website

please tell me one more thing

i used these medicines ( fin & minoxidil) for four days , and then i read reviews about these medicines , after that i stopped its use , what should i do to neutralize its effects ??

it seems that hair fall is increased , what should i do?

No I dont think 4 days of use would cause medicinal induced hair loss from fin or minox use.

View Spanker's Website